My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
diverb

My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing

Hi All, Just thought I'd share some photos of my diesel GC being unloaded at Gale BANKS's facility in California for tuning and Research & Development.

When I bought my GC in November, I knew I was leaving the country for 9 months of military service so I offered my jeep to BANKS for use in R&D for new components and tuning the diesel. They took me up on the offer and the contract I signed with them to test new products they develop and in exchange any new products will be installed free of charge. Needless to say I am beyond excited for my return and to drive the GC after BANKS has tuned it up.

BANKS has been great to deal with, they sent me a list of what they plan on developing; Cold Air intake, diesel tuner, exhaust, water-meth injection, possibly a different turbo setup. Should be interesting to see what gets done

Last edited by diverb; 02-28-2014 at 11:38 PM..
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Dont

Don't sign any waivers especially a dyno waiver.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
jaje
2007 WK 

Sounds awesome can't wait to hear what they have in store. I'm leasing my WK2 diesel so I likely won't do anything to it (unlike my CRD that I currently own) unless I buy it outright at the end of the lease. Banks has a lot of experience already with this engine having access to mil spec versions already (they did a great write up on it which I'm sure you've read) and the VM Motori diesel was designed for civilian and military use out of the box. Be safe and come back healthy!
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
diverb

I've had BANKS products on other diesel trucks of mine, and I agree BANKS spends a lot of time researching before they put Gales name on it. BANKS said they would either pay my plane ticket and I can pick up my jeep at their shop or they would ship it back, I'm gonna fly out to tour their facility and hopefully meet Gale himself. I'm excited to see what my fuel mileage will be after they work their magic, I'm hopeful for 32mpg highway.
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Back when chips were first being developed for tuning BMW and Porsches I was approached by one of the top and best tuners to develop a chip for E30325i since my car already had a track day suspension etc. Tuner was located just a couple miles away in Fairfax, VA. They wanted to do a big article etc for the Roundel and European Car. I knew the owner of the firm since I had crewed
on 934s and 935s that had his engines in the back. The deal was a chip, exhaust and CAI for my car for free and I all I had to do was give them my car for a couple of weeks and sign the dyno waiver. I talked with my mechanic and he said dont. I listened to him. Another local club member took the deal and oops his engine blew up. Just a word of caution to OP. Its your choice and just know what you are getting into and know the pitfalls. Stuff happens. If I wanted a tuner, CAI or exhaust Banks would be my first choice.
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I edited a couple posts to remove name calling and disrespectful remarks. I think the thread reads better now, but thats my opinion. Don't make me do that again.
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

No it doesnt read better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I edited a couple posts to remove name calling and disrespectful remarks. I think the thread reads better now, but thats my opinion. Don't make me do that again.
But you enjoy doing it and it makes your day. You missed something on my post I fix.
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
fun2drive

That is fantastic. I am one that hopes that Gale Banks can work his magic on the diesel and the possible test mule products you mentioned. I can see myself interested in the tuner and maybe intake/exhaust depending on the results.
If you are going down range keep your head down...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Let us know how it goes OP. Interesting and exciting for those buying the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
But you enjoy doing it and it makes your day. You missed something on my post I fix.
You cannot legitimately tell someone to read better when your grammar, at times unable to be read, and attitude are pathetic.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
You cannot legitimately tell someone to read better when your grammar, at times unable to be read, and attitude are pathetic.
Some people love a post count and like to comment on a lot of things all the time. Others see a big # and figure it means an actual contributing member and knowledgeable. I just don't take the misinformation spread by those with an agenda. I spend too much of my own time actually doing real things like keeping up a blog on the WK diesel with real facts that is widely used and appreciated by members of this forum. In fact I'll likely create another one for WK2 diesel owners when I get it next month (or maybe late this month). It is a lease so I will not be doing much modifications but keeping track on maintenance, actual mpg and improvements. It will be the racecar tow rig, daily driver, and family vacation mile monster. Anyway, I'm spending all my free time building a new racecar and working with the manufacturer (and shoveling snow in the meantime).
Unread 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
Sounds awesome can't wait to hear what they have in store. I'm leasing my WK2 diesel so I likely won't do anything to it (unlike my CRD that I currently own) unless I buy it outright at the end of the lease. Banks has a lot of experience already with this engine having access to mil spec versions already (they did a great write up on it which I'm sure you've read) and the VM Motori diesel was designed for civilian and military use out of the box. Be safe and come back healthy!
Wasn't it initially designed for use in a Cadillac before Fiat bought the remaining GM shares of VM?

"Banks has been working directly with VM Motori to engineer its OWN version of the 3.0L, codenamed the Gale Banks 630T, for use in military and other specialty-use applications. Needless to say, we grabbed our cameras and headed over to Banks' Azusa, California, facility. Check out what we saw."

http://www.bankspower.com/magazines/...-diesel-engine
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
phil385
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post
Hi All, Just thought I'd share some photos of my diesel GC being unloaded at Gale BANKS's facility in California for tuning and Research & Development.
This sounds awesome -- Banks is highly respected in the diesel world. I can't wait to see what they do to it. If they could get close to 300 hp out of the new diesel GC that thing would be a serious hot rod!

Honestly I might buy a 2015 diesel to use as my daily driver and keep the miles down on my SRT. That way I could always be in a Grand Cherokee!! Right now I use a F150 Ecoboost (twin turbo!) as my DD and I always miss being in my Grand Cherokee.
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Wasn't it initially designed for use in a Cadillac before Fiat bought the remaining GM shares of VM?

"Banks has been working directly with VM Motori to engineer its OWN version of the 3.0L, codenamed the Gale Banks 630T, for use in military and other specialty-use applications. Needless to say, we grabbed our cameras and headed over to Banks' Azusa, California, facility. Check out what we saw."

http://www.bankspower.com/magazines/...-diesel-engine
It actually was but that was pre-bankruptcy GM and Chysler so plans change. GM is now in trouble with its newest trucks b/c they look the same and didn't change much where Ford added a v6 turbo, going aluminum body panels in the next gen and the Ram 1500 diesel is making its way to dealers as we speak and sold over 8,000 pre orders in < 3 days making it the most ordered pickup ever. Many wallets have spoken.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Staying tuned to see the outcome - that is, unless this becomes yet another totally off topic thread....

Agreed, very interested to see what Banks will do with a street legal application. Waver or not, I would think Banks is showing some earnest interest in tuning this engine for street applications if they not only paid to transport a brand new JGC from Michigan to CA but are also offering to fly or transport the owner out to their facility. That along with the costs they will likely incur just in testing products are not trivial expenses. I'd be willing to bet they are pretty confident they are going to come up with some products that will be marketable and profitable, perhaps more from the Ram application that the JGC application just because in general more truck owners that SUV owners are into tuning. Should be pretty cool.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Let us know how it goes OP. Interesting and exciting for those buying the diesel.

Just a little pretentious arent you, sir! What does attitude have to with tell someone to read what I said!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.