My 2012 Overland got T-Boned Thursday night. Help assess the damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My 2012 Overland got T-Boned Thursday night. Help assess the damage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Cajun_Mike

My 2012 Overland got T-Boned Thursday night. Help assess the damage

Only 23,000 miles on it. As i work from home. I dont have an estimate yet. What is your assessment of the damage? Book value is anywhere from 30-34k.

I'm trying to gauge how many thousands of dollars in damages we've got here. No way it's enough for insurance to total it. I'm tempted to immediately trade it in for a 2015 as i dont think the damn thing will ever be the same. I had planned on waiting for the New redesign in 2017 before buying another one.

And it's all on my insurance as the person driving the older model Suburban who ran the red light didnt have insurance.

Cajun_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
hemispin
2014 WK 

Just gonna guess about $15-$20k in damage. There will be rear suspension damage too. Might get totaled just because of that.

My wife recently hit a deer with her Jetta. It was about $10k in damage, car was worth about $16k. Insurance totaled it even though the damage was about 62% of the value. Usually they don't total it until damage is at about 80% or more of the value. Every situation is unique.

Sorry about your Jeep.
hemispin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Cajun_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Just gonna guess about $15-$20k in damage. There will be rear suspension damage too. Might get totaled just because of that.

My wife recently hit a deer with her Jetta. It was about $10k in damage, car was worth about $16k. Insurance totaled it even though the damage was about 62% of the value. Usually they don't total it until damage is at about 80% or more of the value. Every situation is unique.

Sorry about your Jeep.
I went on Edmunds to get a value of it... 5.7 hemi overland, low miles.. Trade in was 30k.. list price was 34k. But that was for a model in outstanding condition. The trade in value on one that has been wrecked to this degree has to be thousands less. I'm going to pitch a fit with my agent to see what can happen.

I went on the Jeep site and configured a new one and i can only get that interior similar to mine (new saddle) in a Summit. The reason i got the Overland back in the day was because i didnt want the same color dash ( I dont think it looks near as good as mine with the black dash) and I didnt want all that adaptive driving crap.
Unread 10-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

What this will all come down to is labor hours. Im quite sure there is subtantial rear suspension damage, and many of those parts will have to be OEM. Also, if there is the slightest bit of frame damage, they will likely total.....

So sorry to see this man!
Unread 10-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Hope all riders were ok...
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Cajun_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morax View Post
Hope all riders were ok...
I am suffering with whiplash. Very tender in my neck, scapula and C6 area. But not as bad as the Dr. said i might be.

I'm just sick about my GC.
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Mike, as long as you are doing ok…the JGC will be fixed…but I know what you mean…been there….
Unread 10-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Cajun_Mike

on a 2012, where are the airbags located? i am trying to figure out why none of them deployed. Arent there side curtain bags somewhere?
Unread 10-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

•Seat Airbag - A Seat AirBag (SAB) (also known as a pelvic and thoracic airbag) is secured to each outboard front seat back frame, where it is concealed beneath the seat back trim cover and foam.

•Side Curtain Airbag - A side curtain airbag (also known as a Side AirBag Inflatable Curtain/SABIC) is secured to each inside roof side rail above the headliner, which extends from the A-pillar to just beyond the C-pillar.

Deployment of the SRS components depends upon the angle and severity of an impact. Deployment is not based upon vehicle speed; rather, deployment is based upon the rate of deceleration as measured by the forces of gravity (G force) upon the acceleration-type impact sensors, or by a pressure wave within a front door as measured by the pressure-type impact sensor. When an impact is severe enough, the microcontroller within the ORC signals the inflator of the appropriate airbag units to deploy their airbag cushions.

Your collision may not have been severe enough to deploy the side bags.
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
MickinNY
2013 WK 

[QUOTE=ColdCase

Deployment of the SRS components depends upon the angle and severity of an impact. Deployment is not based upon vehicle speed; rather, deployment is based upon the rate of deceleration as measured by the forces of gravity (G force) upon the acceleration-type impact sensors, or by a pressure wave within a front door as measured by the pressure-type impact sensor. When an impact is severe enough, the microcontroller within the ORC signals the inflator of the appropriate airbag units to deploy their airbag cushions.
Your collision may not have been severe enough to deploy the side bags.[/QUOTE]

Clear as mud.
Judging from that first picture, if that impact wasn't severe enough to deploy the side bags, something is seriously wrong with that system.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Mike, I hope you are feeling better quickly...the stress an accident puts on one's body can be significant, even when there is no "direct" and visible injury. The vehicle...it can be replaced.

On the airbags, I'm suspecting that related to what CC mentions, the angle and location of the "t-bone" judging from the photos may not have been something that was within the side-airbag trigger thresholds.
Unread 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

That does not look like near a severe enough collision to deploy airbags to me, some sheet metal damage but it didn't ever break or bent the wheel or break any glass. Looks like somewhat of a glancing blow and toward the rear, relatively minor seems to me. That sheet metal is an easy fix, dunno about the suspension. If the airbags deployed, they could have hurt more than the bump from the crash... its no fun being hit by an airbag(s). During low speed collisions they can cause more injuries than save.
Unread 10-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
MickinNY
2013 WK 

As the OP said, the other driver ran a red light & T-boned him. My understanding of T-boned means the guilty driver collided straight into (or at a slight angle) the side of the OP's vehicle where the damage is. Which makes sense if someone runs a red light & 2 vehicles enter the intersection at the same time. That's what I'm seeing from the pictures. Not exactly what I'd call a glancing blow.
Being injured or not by airbags isn't the issue. Not deploying like they're intended to do is. When have you ever seen someone running a red light going slow?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Again that damage is slight, nowhere near what you'd expect to cause airbag deployment. There does not appear to be a malfunction. That does not appear to be the kind of damage that you would get from a high speed T bone. How do you know how fast the other car was going? How fast was the OP going... it gets complicated fast.

Perhaps the culprit slammed on his brakes when he noticed the OP, and slowed slowed down enough to just bump the OP a bit and because the OP was moving at some speed, scraped across the front of the other vehicle causing most of the damage. The other vehicle is a large suburban truck and if it was moving more than a couple MPH at the time of the crash, you would see a lot more damage than that.

I've been in a few fender benders and it doesn't take much for passengers to fell thrown about wildly only to discover a couple small dents.

Just saying that jumping to a conclusion that the airbag should have deployed with the information at hand may be short sighted. That doesn't look like much of a bump.
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Cajun_Mike

in my opinion, the other driver was going in the neighborhood of 40 or 45 mph. That suburban is totaled. Might he have been going 30-35? i doubt it, not with the amount of damage that vehicle suffered. I was spun around into a 180. At the conclusion of the wreck my vehicle was perfectly facing the other direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.