Multiple failures on rear shocks 2011 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Multiple failures on rear shocks 2011 Overland

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Watcher58

Angry Multiple failures on rear shocks 2011 Overland

A few months ago, I got the rattle-squeek curse that seemed to be from the left rear shock and was consistent with the TSB's on the shocks and shock mount problems. I've made 5 trips to the dealer, which in rural MT is a 100 mile round trip each time. The first failure was in the left rear, the second was in the left rear(I could reach through the rim, grab the shock and move it back and forth and the right rear shock was covered with oil)) and now on the third set of shocks (within 10 weeks) the left rear is leaking oil very badly. By badly, I mean it leaves a puddle of oil on the ground. It has been doing that for about a week. There is a coating of oil on the shock going up under the dust cover . the oil actually drips off the lower mounting bolt. They finally replaced the upper shock mounts when they installed this last set. Needless to say, I am ready for blood. Is there any magic solution someone knows about?? The TSB describes the issue but doesn't say they can't fix it-ever. This has been 3 sets of new shocks-not the repair crap they came up with. I'm also suspicious that the left rear has failed every single time. Help!! expectives deleted

Watcher58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A bad batch of replacement shocks? I think there has been a couple part number revs. If the dealer can't get you the newest rev level.. you can buy them on line ~$50. It may be less trouble swapping them yourself than dealing with the dealer...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.