Mud Guard Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Mud Guard Options

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Brinkboslice

Mud Guard Options

Hey guys,

I recently had winter tires/wheels put on my car and the offset is lower than stock so the tires poke out of the fender slightly. I recently washed the Jeep and noticed paint damage already from mud/debris kicking up and hitting the paint. All I could find online for mud guards were the mopar and husky guards. Any ideas of whether or not these guards will stick out far enough to protect the side of the Jeep? Does anyone else have any opinions on what I can do to remedy this problem? I'd consider fender flares but haven't looked and would like to avoid these if I can. THANKS!!

Brinkboslice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

I think the factory GC mudflaps would look nice, and protect you from the wider tires. I've had 'em on the our last 2 GCs and I like the functionality and look.
NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Brinkboslice

Thanks for the input NC4stroker! Would you by chance have any pictures of them on your GC?
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkboslice View Post
Thanks for the input NC4stroker! Would you by chance have any pictures of them on your GC?
I'll go get ya one! Hang on a few minutes!

Mud flaps are a polarizing topic, as most other topics! Personally, I like the look, and it really protects the paint and makes wash days easier.

IF I wasn't a flap fan, I'd get 3M clear bra material installed on the rockers. Not a bad idea anyway, really!!

Here is one shot of my 3M clear bra on the front. You can see the demarcation line as I purposefully took the photo to reveal the line. 95% of people would never see it.

Unread 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Brinkboslice

Great pics man I really appreciate it!
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkboslice View Post
Great pics man I really appreciate it!
Anytime, I think the flaps look sort of Range Rovery!!
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Brinkboslice

NC4stroker, did you install the mud flaps yourself?
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Actually, the dealership did a great job installing them on our 13 GC, and they transferred them over to the 14! They tech took his time and did a very nice job. (I also had them take the GC over to another place, that I found, to do the 3m bra before we took delivery. I-95 ruins the fronts of cars around here!!)

One caveat, if you're gonna take the GC wheeling over some rough terrain/rocks, just skip the flaps and get the 3M material on the rockers, as the flaps do hang down to maximize protection, but large rocks would likely remove the flaps!
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Nice pics NC. I like the idea of having that 3m bra installed, but I'll have to research it first & look for dealers in my area. Do they guarantee against stone chips with that?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
Nice pics NC. I like the idea of having that 3m bra installed, but I'll have to research it first & look for dealers in my area. Do they guarantee against stone chips with that?
Thanks! You'd have to visit their website and read the "warranty verbage". Most of the time the warranty applies to the application process, though it's supposed to last for a prescribed amount of time.

Jeep actually applies a factory film over portion of the rocker panel in front of the back tires, and I found some inside of the door handles....nice touches for sure!

No doubt, the film has the thickness to guard against stone chips, as evidenced my wife's grill!

She destroyed the grill on her (now mine) 11 GC in a matter of months, as she does the interstate thing every day.

The film can take some licks for sure!
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

As you can see the 3m clear bra is invisible from this angle. You can do your normal wash/wax thing over the film. (This photo is of the 13 Hemi we traded for the diesel)

Unread 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC4stroker View Post
Thanks! You'd have to visit their website and read the "warranty verbage". Most of the time the warranty applies to the application process, though it's supposed to last for a prescribed amount of time.

Jeep actually applies a factory film over portion of the rocker panel in front of the back tires, and I found some inside of the door handles....nice touches for sure!

No doubt, the film has the thickness to guard against stone chips, as evidenced my wife's grill!

She destroyed the grill on her (now mine) 11 GC in a matter of months, as she does the interstate thing every day.

The film can take some licks for sure!
Thanks again. And you're right, it's virtually invisible in your latest photo.
I'll definitely look into it in the Spring.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
hemispin
2014 WK 

Weathertech makes mud flaps for the WK2 as well. They apparently install without drilling holes, vs. having to drill for the Mopar flaps.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Brinkboslice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Weathertech makes mud flaps for the WK2 as well. They apparently install without drilling holes, vs. having to drill for the Mopar flaps.
When I searched my Jeep at weathertech.com I got this message:

This item is not available for this vehicle or is currently under development. To request that we consider the manufacture of this application, please complete our Product Request Form:

From the pictures on other vehicles the weathertech look less appeasing than the Mopar guards IMO.
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Brinkboslice

I'm wondering if the bushwacker fender flares would provide enough protection....hmm.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.