Mpg 5.7l long trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Mpg 5.7l long trip

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Geekyguru
2011 WK 

Mpg 5.7l long trip

Ok.. I have *****ed about the mileage per gallon. I have been driving to work and back... My avg MPG for city is around 14.3.
We drove to my wife's home in Chicago a few days ago for the holiday. I live in Southern Alabama. I was expecting silly numbers. I also learned a couple of things along the way.

I put cruise control on @ 79 mph. My trip was 819 miles. With cruise control on @ 79 MPH .. I averaged 18.3mpg.

Granted... IF i were cruising at a slower more economical speed.. I think I could have dinged 20-21 MPG easily.

Also.. I learned that the computer calculates your LAST AVG MPG for the new full tank.

I.e. I was avg. 14.3 city. My Computer calculated 309 miles till empty.
On my trip.. the Computer calculated 479 miles till empty.

Seems a bit reverse? but w/e

Geekyguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
clwarner
2011 WK 

479 is correct the GC's have a 24.6 gallon tank. Roughly 19.5 mpg for a highway trip. I just did a 950 mile trip. I average the same 18.5 running 75 MPH most the way.
clwarner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekyguru View Post
Ok.. I have *****ed about the mileage per gallon. I have been driving to work and back... My avg MPG for city is around 14.3.
We drove to my wife's home in Chicago a few days ago for the holiday. I live in Southern Alabama. I was expecting silly numbers. I also learned a couple of things along the way.

I put cruise control on @ 79 mph. My trip was 819 miles. With cruise control on @ 79 MPH .. I averaged 18.3mpg.

Granted... IF i were cruising at a slower more economical speed.. I think I could have dinged 20-21 MPG easily.

Also.. I learned that the computer calculates your LAST AVG MPG for the new full tank.

I.e. I was avg. 14.3 city. My Computer calculated 309 miles till empty.
On my trip.. the Computer calculated 479 miles till empty.

Seems a bit reverse? but w/e
79mph? Wow, you were flying. I wouldn't expect any good numbers going that fast.
peckmv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

In my 2011 4x4 Hemi, I recently drove a 475 mile trip... drove around 65mph and averaged about 20.5-21 mpg.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
oldmac1
2014 WK 

1400 miles round trip, all interstate highway and using cruise control at either 70 or 75 the Hemi gave me 18.5 going down(loaded Jeep) and 21.3 for a round trip total. When I had my 09 Hemi I averaged 18.7 on the same trip and using cruise also. Happy camper here.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
BManz
2011 WK 

A friend of mine has seen 24mpg on pure long-distance highway trips with his Hemi. On my Hemi WK2, the best I've documented with hand-calculation was 23mpg and it was only .1 off of the EVIC display. I'll be doing a weekend trip to Indy soon and that will be a longer than usual stretch for me to see if I can get above 23mpg.

On highway trips I usually set the cruise control at 65mph or the flow of traffic speed, whichever is lower, because I'm never in a hurry on a trip.
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

I made about a 200 mile trip yesterday and averaged around 25, mostly just highway and no stops etc. I had it reading higher than that but once I got on the interstate and started going around 80mph it sucked it down some
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.