Moving the spare under the carriage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Moving the spare under the carriage?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
wcaparas

Question Moving the spare under the carriage?

Anyone having any luck finding a Jeep service pro who knows how to move the spare tire from the cargo bay to the undercarriage as "promoted" on the Jeep website... see http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/grand_ch...d_performance/ (fourth paragraph)

I need that cargo space, and it was a big selling point that made me buy (though now that I own it I KNOW this is the best of class... PERIOD)... nonethelss? What's up with that? Promoted on the official website yet NO ONE has a clue how to do it? Three dealer service centers and three inquiries to Jeep... still no word. What say ye?

wcaparas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You'll also find a skid plate group, telescoping rear driveshaft that adjusts for small changes during normal suspension travel and a newly located gas tank that allows the tire to be mounted under the vehicle for added versatility.
That very well may be a misprint.

If you look under side in the pic on the page where that info is found there doesn't appear to be any place to relocate the spare tire to. Even if there could be a way to do that, I would think you'd lose some seroius ground clearance in the rear not to mention having it negatively effect your departure angle.
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
eternollie
2011 WK 

Get a hitch mounted carrier for added space. Probably cheaper than paying Jeep to reinstall the spare.
eternollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
wcaparas

Thanks for the responses... good advice. I'm looking for a permanent move for gear I'll permanently store in the tire trunk, so the hitch option isn't very exciting to me. Do you have the 2011 GC? My local service tech said it will work, and by my measurements I wouldn't lose more than an inch on the departure angle. I'm no expert, so I could be wrong!
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I don't have a WK2 but I do have a WJ and WK. The WK is similar to what you want to do. The WK spare tire is a pain in the *** to get to because it has to be lowered down and cranked back up. Everytime my low tire sensor goes off, I know it is going to suck.

The WJ is in the back like the WK2. It is a way better and much easy to deal with. Easy to change a tire and get everything out. I would leave it in the back.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
wcaparas

Even better points indeed. If I didn't need that space for production gear that I have to permanently store in that bay (or in an outside cargo box, which I couldn't live with every day) I'd be ecstatic with the design. Even with the 18" wheel there is a ton of usable space. But I'm that odd case that would rather have to wrestle the tire up on the roof when going offroad than lose that storage space. I certainly don't want to float it in my back bay as I need that for my cameras and other fragiles. There is a definite wheel well in the space where the gas tank used to be.... it looks to me like it's crying for a tire to hug, and the service tech agreed. I'm still hoping... thanks again!
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
ecupip

Just put run flats on the car and your problem is solved.

The new WKII has tons of room for a spare under the carriage so I think it would be easy to mount one there.
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Funny you mention this... I climbed under the Jeep last night to inspect my sway bar links before installing the bwoody upgrades and thought it was odd how much room there was behind the rear bumper. It really does look like there is enough room for the spare and that would free up a ton of extra space inside the cabin like you said.

Hopefully someone can find a definitive answer on this!
SixZeroFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
Just put run flats on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
The new WKII has tons of room for a spare under the carriage so I think it would be easy to mount one there.
Not to be argumentative, I'm not seeing where this additional space is where a spare could be mounted. The only spot I could see would behind the rear axle under internal compartment where the spare already is located. In attempting that, I would think the hardware necessary to do so, coupled with the size of the spare would impede ground clearance and departure angle if you venture off the beaten path.

Unread 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
wcaparas

Well, that photo is pretty deceiving. I'm going to upload some shots I just snapped... give me a couple minutes. That's not just a clear space between the tailpipes, that's about an 5-6 inch deep well (at it's shallowest point), but it's measurable diameter is at least 29 inches, but that's really hard to read with a tape. I'm still hopeful...
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
wcaparas

Here are the photos of the WK2's undercarriage (V6)...
wk2_undercarriage1.jpg   wk2_undercarriage2.jpg   wk2_undercarriage3.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
wcaparas

It's hard to tell from the pics, but the shallow end (the lower lip of the bumper cover) is 5-6 inches lower than the shallowest (lowest) surface in that well
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Sorry guys, I was hopeful 'cause I had big plans for all that space where the spare is now, but it won't fit under the spare well. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about 2+" to small. Oh well, now someone needs to build a box to fit there for chains, straps, or maybe a extra fuel tank. Come on all you Jeep aftermarket folk, get off the dime.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
wcaparas

Thanks Richard338... so I guess that means you tried yourself, or did you have a Jeep service dept. try? Your 2+ inch shortage seems right, as my tape measure gave it about 28 inches of diameter space, which is couple inches short of the full sized spare. Bummer. I have a complaint/inquiry in to Jeep as that was a big selling point to me, so I'll keep you gents posted on how they respond. Maybe that gear box will be born out of this confusion. Otherwise it's a terrible waste of space, especially for a vehicle that could use some lowering of the center of gravity. Cheers...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.