Mounting Fire Extinguisher Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Mounting Fire Extinguisher Help

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Buffy
2012 WK 

Mounting Fire Extinguisher Help

I found a neat, 3 lbs chrome fire ext that I want to mount on the left rear panel above the rear wheel. (see pic #1)

The panel is made of that thick plastic (poly-whatever you call it!) and I need some advice on how to mount it to the panel.

The back of the extinquisher has 6 mounting holes that are pretty well spaced out, but what will hold in the plastic? - Sheetmetal screws, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

PIC #1 Where I want it....

PIC #2 What I thinkl it will look like.....

Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

Take the panel off and mount with either a backing plate or even easier use bolts with large washers. You don't want some loose cargo hanging up on it and one of those screws pull out or worse crack the panel.

I'd use some large washers to distribute the load. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Buffy
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo View Post
Take the panel off and mount with either a backing plate or even easier use bolts with large washers. You don't want some loose cargo hanging up on it and one of those screws pull out or worse crack the panel.

I'd use some large washers to distribute the load. IMO.
I would LOVE to get behind the panel, but I have looked and looked and looked and I'll be darned if I can figure out how it comes off.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Buffy
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
I would LOVE to get behind the panel, but I have looked and looked and looked and I'll be darned if I can figure out how it comes off.
I found a PDF file that shows how to remove the panel, but WOW, it is more involved than I thought! I may have to rethink the location of the extinguisher...........
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Murcus
2009 JK Wrangler 

I recently took an interest in this as well.
Let us know what you try out.

I know there are also some hitch mounting options with a gas can.
Murcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.