MOPAR Aux Oil Cooler Pix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > MOPAR Aux Oil Cooler Pix

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
srhanes
2014 WK 

MOPAR Aux Oil Cooler Pix

Coolant circulated thru new filter mounting provided by a circuit formed by fittings on modified lower radiator hose and thermostat housing (included).

kit.jpg

ins1.jpg

ins2.jpg

ins3.jpg

srhanes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

So which part number is that? The part numbers always confuse me as there seems to be a couple sizes of radiator hoses.
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Interesting

I am guessing this is for the V8. Only issue with this type of cooler is the effect it has on water temps. You maybe lowering oil temps at the expense of water temps.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
So which part number is that? The part numbers always confuse me as there seems to be a couple sizes of radiator hoses.
Yes srhanes please do share;
What is the Mopar part # for that kit? What engine did you install it on V6, V8? Is that a JK? Or WK2?
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Will only fit the V8 and with the 6.4L in my srt my oil temps stay around 205F with this cooler

The v6 has a built in Oil cooler...

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Will only fit the V8 and with the 6.4L in my srt my oil temps stay around 205F with this cooler

The v6 has a built in Oil cooler...

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php
Do you know if this OEM 6.4L oil cooler setup would bolt right up to a 5.7L Hemi??
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Do you know if this OEM 6.4L oil cooler setup would bolt right up to a 5.7L Hemi??
Would you want to add an additional thermal load to your cooling system??? Air ti air oil coolers are more efficient usually and dont put a load on the vehicle's cooling system. Sandwich adapter, some lines and fittings from Earl's, and an air to air exchanger is available from numerous sources. Just dont use rubber lines.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Raptor

I'd like to have the added cooling this coolant to oil setup would provide while towing.
My 5.7 WK2 is virtually stock, (CAI, Tuner) I don't need, nor do I want, an air to oil type cooler that would cool my OEM 5.7 engine oil more than necessary. Under heavy loads is the only time my engine oil temps rise above the coolant temps. This type of oil cooler would be ideal to lower the oil temps back down to the regulated coolant temperature. What your suggesting isn't necessary & wouldn't be beneficial for the cooling I'm looking to accomplish.
I don't have a non OEM, high heat, high horsepower producing powerplant that would require the oil cooling setup you suggest. As a matter of fact that setup might cool to much especially in the winter months.

That's Why!
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

^^ thats typically why engine oil/water coolers are OEM or and Mopar accessory. Oil/air are cheaper but but fail for a street vehicle or truck application. They work fine on my Harley... no water cooling available there.

The kit the OP referenced has been around for years, have been used on police and mopar performance vehicles for awhile. Usually the issue is that different vehicles have different radiator hose sizes, which can be adapted with a bit of Mcgyver duct tape. I don't know of anyone fitting one to a WK2 5.7 without some work, the oil filter has a different block mounting. I was reading through a number of Chrysler 300 and Charger forums and it seems that no one has been successful installing on a late model 5.7.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I believe so.

Also the 5.7 there is not alot of space for a sandwich adapter the hose barbed fittings would pinch the hoses

you would be better off installing a Remote Oil filter adapter then in lining a Thermostatic Air to air oil cooler.

Similar to http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-d...am-d15551.aspx
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Raptor

Well now knowing you can't use the oil cooler from the 6.4 Hemi on a 5.7L Hemi (it won't fit properly and would be a nightmare to modify) I have discovered the oil cooler from a late model Durango will work for a 5.7L Hemi equipped WK2 Grand Cherokee!

The 2013 and 2014 WD (Durango) has an available oil cooler for the 5.7 as part of the police service package {AHV Production code}. As it turns out, with some part swapping, all the parts which make this up are a direct fit for the 5.7L WK2. It does involve some work though and it's not just an oil cooler.

You will need:

05038677AB Water pump. It's different from the stock one in that it has an outlet for the oil cooler inlet.

05038697AA Oil cooler tube connector (goes onto the water pump nipple).

52014895AC Radiator outlet hose. Includes the hose to the oil cooler.

52014896AB Engine coolant to oil cooler hose. This one goes from the water pump to the oil cooler. Includes a bracket that mounts to the engine.

06509216AA Bolt. For mounting the bracket from the above hose.

04893310AA Engine oil cooler. Mounts onto the existing oil filter adapter. Includes seal and extended oil filter fitting. Check out the link below for pics of this setup.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...4893310AA.html

These parts should bolt right up to your 5.7L Hemi and are all OEM Mopar!

Requiring a new OEM water pump, this isn't exactly the easiest or cheapest modification in the world, but it's a factory OEM bolt-on and doesn't require cutting coolant hoses, or major modifications to make it work.
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nice find, what's been holding some of us back is a oil cooler that will fit the WK2 oil adapter tight space. This looks like it will do it.
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Why not just run, for instance, Red Line Oil.
Run Red Line In my Harley.
Nothing beats a Hot Rod Harley when it comes to generating
--High Oil Temperatures.--
Amsoil OK also.
But Red Line for Texas Summers.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Lets not make this into another oil thread, there have been plenty of threads already where many have expressed their engine oil opinions.

But in regards to using a different engine oil vs a cooler.. most are trying to cool the engine, not bring the oil temp down to where it doesn't burn the oil. Regardless, Amsoil is snake oil... Redline doesn't help the V8, nice for racing not so good on the street for high mileage durability. I use mobil one in my Harleys, so do most of us. I also have an aux air to oil cooler on one that spends a lot of time in parades... to provide additional engine cooling.
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Gunny7
2014 WK 

You cannot cool the engine below the Thermostat or whatever is used today.
The whole thing is a heat sink.
If the Radiator is engineered well enough it all operates as one.
Excessive heat is removed through the Radiator.
Saying a brand is Snake Oil is a little outside what I expect.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.