Modification, Maintenance, Repair, and Build Write Ups - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Modification, Maintenance, Repair, and Build Write Ups

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Replace your black roof trim with OEM roof rails

For this method, instead of drilling and installing rivnuts, the OEM end caps are locked into place by the rails.

1) Take off your stock roof trim with an allen wrench.

2) Insert the stock bolts into the end holes and torque them down almost all the way. Slide the plastic OEM rail end pieces over those to hold them into place

3) Slide the stainless rails and end caps into position, the rest of the bolts will line up with the holes in the roof. Torque them down but not over tight.

This clamps the rails and end caps securely into the roof.

rails.jpg

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
damascusHEMI

Pictures of a Corsa exhaust install.

The Corsa mufflers are tucked up tight and since we painted them black, you really can't see them. The sound is fantastic...I took it on a 8 hour round trip recently for the Virginia Tech vs. MD game. I can barely hear the rumble while cruising without load, however it roars when you get on it. Very nice. Take a look -

damascusHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #33
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascusHEMI View Post
The Corsa mufflers are tucked up tight and since we painted them black, you really can't see them. The sound is fantastic...I took it on a 8 hour round trip recently for the Virginia Tech vs. MD game. I can barely hear the rumble while cruising without load, however it roars when you get on it. Very nice. Take a look

I'm curious as to why you painted the mufflers ? I kinda like it, leaving the tips chrome was a good choice.

Question regarding the exhaust, why choose Corsa ? any chance you could upload a video with sound ? I'm shopping for a cat back and looking for opinions.

Last edited by Jackal01; 11-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed your quoting. You need to add "[/quote]" at the end.
mitchgendron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
damascusHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgendron View Post
I'm curious as to why you painted the mufflers ? I kinda like it, leaving the tips chrome was a good choice.

Question regarding the exhaust, why choose Corsa ? any chance you could upload a video with sound ? I'm shopping for a cat back and looking for opinions.

I painted the mufflers with a hi-temp flat black paint because I did not want the 'shiny' stainless look. With the black paint, the exhaust looks stock because you really don't see the mufflers from the rear. The mufflers are not located in the same place as the factory mufflers and would be noticeable if shiny.

As for the sound..YouTube has several clips available. The video by Corsa Performance (factory video) doesn't sound very close. This guy's video is much closer to the true sound..he has a few videos on YouTube - here are 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lF74Jokus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqkoHxJFYHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgHW1xPelM

There are several other videos on YouTube. I went with Corsa because it is the only system that is truly drone-free. I've screwed with so many exhaust systems that I've given in to Corsa. You'll be sorry if you try to engineer your own system or choose another. Drone sucks.
damascusHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
mitchgendron

Quote:
There are several other videos on YouTube. I went with Corsa because it is the only system that is truly drone-free. I've screwed with so many exhaust systems that I've given in to Corsa. You'll be sorry if you try to engineer your own system or choose another. Drone sucks.
I hear ya about the drone, I drive mostly highway.
I'm leaning towards the Borla, just for the depth of sound, which will probably cause more drone, sadly.
mitchgendron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #36
wwhiskey75

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascusHEMI
I painted the mufflers with a hi-temp flat black paint because I did not want the 'shiny' stainless look. With the black paint, the exhaust looks stock because you really don't see the mufflers from the rear. The mufflers are not located in the same place as the factory mufflers and would be noticeable if shiny. As for the sound..YouTube has several clips available. The video by Corsa Performance (factory video) doesn't sound very close. This guy's video is much closer to the true sound..he has a few videos on YouTube - here are 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lF74Jokus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqkoHxJFYHc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgHW1xPelM There are several other videos on YouTube. I went with Corsa because it is the only system that is truly drone-free. I've screwed with so many exhaust systems that I've given in to Corsa. You'll be sorry if you try to engineer your own system or choose another. Drone sucks.
Damascus, it looks like you did an incredible job. Also great pictures. Is this something that most anyone with a little mechanical knowledge could do in their own garage? Again looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
wwhiskey75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhiskey75 View Post
Damascus, it looks like you did an incredible job. Also great pictures. Is this something that most anyone with a little mechanical knowledge could do in their own garage? Again looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I hear the hardest part is removing the OEM resonators, otherwise a straight forward job.
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #38
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Quote:
I painted the mufflers with a hi-temp flat black paint because I did not want the 'shiny' stainless look. With the black paint, the exhaust looks stock because you really don't see the mufflers from the rear. The mufflers are not located in the same place as the factory mufflers and would be noticeable if shiny.

As for the sound..YouTube has several clips available. The video by Corsa Performance (factory video) doesn't sound very close. This guy's video is much closer to the true sound..he has a few videos on YouTube - here are 3:

Great looking system. Glad it worked out for you. Wish someone made an exhaust system for the V6 that flowed nicely and was also quieter than the OEM. Although I appreciate sound of a great engine I dont want to listen to my own as I grow older. Three best engine sounds ever 3.0 V12 Ferrari in a 1958 Ferrari TR, a 1970 917 and 1970 McLaren Can Am with a Chevy all Aluminum Big Block. Honorable mentions 1973 3.0CSL, a 1960 RS60 and 2011 AM DBS
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #39
PipesTA

Quote:

Sounds good. Are you originally from the Chicago area? I see your last video you were driving east bound on the spur.
'95 T/A, few doo-dads ;)
PipesTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #40
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Spare Emergency Key

FYI I just had a spare key made and used Ilco Y159 which is readily available anywhere they cut car keys. It works perfect. The Axxess #19 key blank also seems to work
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
100thdeuce

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Corsa mufflers are tucked up tight and since we painted them black, you really can't see them. The sound is fantastic...I took it on a 8 hour round trip recently for the Virginia Tech vs. MD game. I can barely hear the rumble while cruising without load, however it roars when you get on it. Very nice. Take a look -

It looks like in this pic the exhaust has some rather radical welded turns in the pipes. Is it just the angle of the pic or is it that severe? I can't imagine that would flow very well.

Also, I've been looking online and there seems to be two different kits. One is 14457 and one is 14466. Is one of these what you installed?
100thdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thread Link = Lamping and Light Bulbs

Black Text = OEM / Manufacturer Recommended
Blue Text = Aftermarket / Modification
Red = Link to additional information or pictures

As these burn out, and guys start replacing/upgrading, I'll update this list with more (aftermarket) part numbers and info.

Exterior Lights:
  • Auxiliary Aperature Backup Lamps
    7440 (W21W)
  • Auxiliary Liftgate Tail Lamps
    W3W
  • Front Park/Turn Lamp
    T20
  • Front Fog Lamp
    PSX24W
    Precision LED psx24w univeral replacementLINK - thanks GELOverland
  • Front Side Marker
    W5W
  • Headlamps Low Beam High Intensity Discharge
    D1S
  • Daytime Running Lamp
    3457KR - white/clear bulb with twice the life rating as the 3157K bulb
    Putco 234157W LED replacement LINK - thanks GELOverland
  • Headlamp Low Beam
    H11
  • Headlamp High Beam
  • Liftgate Backup Lamp
    921 (W16W)
  • Rear License Lamp
    W5W
  • Rear Turn/Stop/Tail Lamp

Interior Lights:
  • Glove Box Lamp
  • Grab Handle Lamp
    L002825W5W
  • Overhead Console Reading Lamp
    VT4976
  • Rear Cargo Lamp
    214-2
  • Visor Vanity Lamp
    V26377
  • Under panel Courtesy Lamps
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Telltale/ Hazard Lamp
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer brake controller in center console:

Parts Used:
- Tekonsha P3
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90195.html

- Trailer brake adapter pigtail
Available with some models new, or at the dealership if you don't have one.

Take the center cluster out, refer to trim removal here:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_interior_trim.htm
Using the bracket that comes with the Tekonsha P3, I welded another tab off of it so I could pick up the console interior mounting bolt.

It will ultimately go here, but it needs to be inside the front console.

Drill out a slot in the top of the plastic of the inner tub of the console, where it's upper mounting tab is.

Seperating the tub into 2 pieces will make that easier.

Slide the modified tab through the top of the inner plastic tub, and bolt them down together.

Pull the wire supplied with the brake controller in through the opening in the back of the tub where the ipod adapter plugs in, that corner piece is removable.

Solder and heat shrink the wire together that you got with the kit, and plug the other end in to the gray port up under your steering wheel.

Reinstall trim and headunit.
Door still functions properly, phone still fits next to brake controller.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Nice install and placement, hadn't thought of that!

May not work on a '14 because they have taken a big chunk of space out of that area with the placement of the SD and USB ports. Not sure about '13s. just FYI there.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #45
14summithemi
2014 WK 

2014 SUMMIT HEMI 5.7l…DO YOU WANT A CORSA CAT-BACK EXHAUST?

Many thanks to the team at Corsa Performance (TMG Performance Products) for working with me and agreeing to do this special run. This will use the current Product #14457 (3.0" Cat-Back, Dual Rear Exit with Single 4.0" Polished Pro-Series Tips) that fits the 2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 MODIFIED with a different exit/bend out of the mufflers using 2 round tips per muffler staggered to better fit the rounded contour (see pics). Product # and ordering info TBD per below.

First, let me assure everyone I get zippo from this deal (I paid for my exhaust) I am just being the front man since I was first and live next to HQ. Please run all questions through me at this point. If you call Corsa, he will just direct you to me….thx

Looking to know who is willing to step forward and speak for one of the initial systems. I am looking for those who WILL BUY and those who are JUST INTERESTED. If you need to do research, decide, ect…then you are JUST INTERESTED which is great too. If you would be placing the order right now if you could then you are a WILL BUY. Just trying to see what the initial pool of buyers and prospects looks like so Corsa can decide the size of the first run.

To respond either reply to this thread or PM me. Either way, your spot on the WILL BUY list will be confirmed by return PM. To ensure the WILL BUYS get their systems the order info will only be sent by PM that way no one gets boned.

This is also posted on Jeep Garage Dot Org under the same title. I will combine the lists so please only reply on one forum.

Per Corsa…On a group buy of 10 the cost is $1597.50 each + shipping + ZERO TAX (In and out of Ohio). Once an order of 10 is ready to be placed it will take about 2 weeks lead time (Could be 3 pending work load in engineering/production at the time). It is a one box system that is about 98 lbs and some change, Shipping is expected to be around $75-105 flat depending on location, residential vs. business address, etc…The group buy would be run through one of Corsa’s nearby (Berea, OH) accounts to handle cc processing etc…The ordering contact info would be PM’d to the WILL BUY forum members.

As of 2/7/14 I have (7) WILL BUY folks. Those (7) should have a PM from me. Let’s see what the numbers look like through Sunday 2/16/14. Should have at least (10) by then. That would mean you could have it by St. Patty’s Day or so.

The Volant CAI is not included in this group buy. Pics below, videos at links below.

FAQ’s:

EASE OF INSTALL? Corsa will install for FREE at their facility in Berea, OH (really!). Or go here: http://www.corsaperformance.com/medi...ll/INS5182.pdf

FLOW? Average of 97% gain over stock

WHAT’S IN THE BOX? Everything needed to complete the installation is included. Each system includes the mufflers, pipes, hangars, 304SS Polished Tips you choose and all of the necessary instructions and information for installation.

PERFORMANCE? Performance varies by the vehicle and system chosen. On average, CORSA systems will deliver a 3-5% increase in horsepower, though this may vary by vehicle. For example, our Corvette systems will see in average increase of 17-19 HP increases with the addition of our full cat-back system. In addition to HP increases, CORSA systems will dramatically increase free-air-flow, allowing your other performance modifications to achieve their full performance potential.

WEIGHT REDUCTION? 13 lbs. lighter than stock

DRONE? CORSA's Patented RSC® Technology is designed for an AGGRESSIVE SOUND under acceleration and a DRONE-FREE EXPERIENCE

WARRANTY? Your current stock exhaust: None! Corsa: Limited LIFETIME warranty for as long as you own your vehicle with proof of purchase.

MY 2 CENTS? It sounds awesome when you want it to but is civil otherwise. It is the least droning system you can get, virtually zero except when MDS kicks in you get a little drone but it goes away. All exhaust mods affect an engine’s power delivery. The Corsa takes a small bit off your 0-60 times but really perks up your rolling “punch”. It has a really cool feedback snarl when you stomp it and the tranny shifts. Heads snap when I hit it. Pretty funny. Gas mileage impact? Well, never mind that’s not the point.

SYSTEM/PIPE DIAM/MATERIAL?
Stock, 2.25", galvanized
Corsa, 3.0", all 300 series stainless
Magnaflow, 2.5", 400 series stainless pipes, 300 tips
Flowmaster 2.5", 400 series stainless pipes, 300 tips
Gibson, 2.25", 400 series stainless pipes, 300 tips
Borla, 2.5", all 300 series stainless

SO WHAT? The reason most use 2.5 is not (according to their tech support) because it is better for backpressure/hp/torque but because the larger diameter creates too large a sound wave internally creating too aggressive a sounding exhaust and unacceptable interior noise (drone). This is the RSC patent Corsa has for noise cancelling to deal with the bigger sound waves from the larger pipe diameter. Regarding the 300 vs. 400 stainless composition. For the consumer 300 series is better. It has no (or very little) iron so it resists rust/corrosion the best but is more expensive to make and harder to bend. 400 series is best for the manufacturer. It is softer and easier to mandrel bend and cheaper. They mitigate it's surface rusting by using it in the undercarriage/non-visisble areas and use 300 in the visible tips and sometimes post/end muffler if visible. I guess the 400 series has more iron in it that when it goes thru its initial heat/tempering cycle in use the iron comes to the surface and forms surface only rust. Looks bad but supposedly will not rust out internally.

YouTube video of "Thunder runs"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWOLcOXmKT0
YouTube video of "0 - 60 run Inside"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1nDbl4ugg
YouTube video of Startup, Idel, Rev
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJsvwrlodw
img_0004.jpg   img_0005.jpg   img_0006.jpg   img_0007.jpg   img_0008.jpg  

img_0028.jpg   img_0030.jpg   img_0031.jpg   img_0035.jpg   img_0009.jpg  

14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.