JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Missing some soft key menu choices on my '14 Overland (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/missing-some-soft-key-menu-choices-my-14-overland-1982986/)

Coastman 01-10-2014 07:49 PM

Missing some soft key menu choices on my '14 Overland

I just picked up a 2014 Overland (V-6, with Advanced tech Package & CD player) on Jan. 2, 2014. This is replacing my 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi V-8). I had held off on getting the 2014 until I had a better level of confidence that Jeep had the electrical issues with the dash/screen system corrected. I may have jumped the gun on my purchase though.

The day after picking up the new Grand Cherokee, we left on 350 trip to our cabin in the mountains. The Jeep has performed flawlessly. Averaged 25 MPG. Great ride, handling (for an SUV), quiet, great sound system, etc. However, it wasn't until we were at our destination that I had time to read the manual and go through the various screens on the Uconnect system. In the process, I discovered I was missing a few things on some of the Setting screens. The big one is in the Suspension screen for the Quadra Lift system. I do not have a soft key to select the automatic "Entry/Exit on Park". I only have 4 items showing up in this screen:
1. Display Suspension Messages (2 check box choices: All or Warning. I have ALL selected)
2. Tire Jack Mode
3. Transport Mode
4. Wheel Alignment Mode

Also, before turning off the vehicle when playing the radio, Cd, etc. and I hit the Mute (center of volume knob). However, when I get back in the car and start it, the volume is not muted and whatever audio source was last used is playing at the last used volume level. I can't find anyway to keep the audio on Mute when restarting the vehicle. The Owners Manual talks about a "Loudness" soft key that supposedly would accomplish this, but I'm not seeing that soft key anywhere in my Settings menu screens, and not sure if that is something that should be on my system (8.4 AN)

The dealer did the big recall update on this vehicle the day I picked it up. Everything else works fine. The Suspension system works properly using the console mounted buttons next to the Select Trac knob.

I have an appointment to take it back in to the dealer when we return from this trip in a couple weeks, but I'd like to go in armed with some ideas to help the service tech get this resolved properly.

Any idea on why I'd be missing a few soft key choices in my Settings menu?

Jeff_WK2 01-10-2014 09:30 PM

I don't know offhand about the entry/exit on park for QL but I do remember seeing that on the screen prior to the latest software update, I haven't looked at that screen since the update so I don't know if that's changed. However I did notice that after the software update it took about 36 hours for all the menu choices I was expecting to see to all finally show up, like it took all that time for it to figure out all the features that were supposed to be there.

The radio thing is a well-known "feature". There is no way to turn the damn thing off! The only solution is to turn the volume to "0" before turning off the car, then it will still be on "0" when you restart. Mute doesn't stay muted, as you are finding out. Now I'm in the habit of just giving the volume knob a good twirl before shutdown. Kind of like I also now have the habit of stabbing the ECO button every time I start up.

edit - Hey, I see you are from Arroyo Grande! I went to college at Cal Poly in SLO!

jacko15 01-10-2014 09:40 PM

Welcome to the forum, and to your new JGC. I took delivery of mine in April of last year, and it's been problem free.

Let me start with this quote from the Owner's Manual:

"This manual illustrates and describes the operation of
features and equipment that are either standard or
optional on this vehicle. This manual may also include a
description of features and equipment that are no
longer available or were not ordered on this vehicle.
Please disregard any features and equipment described
in this manual that are not on this vehicle.
Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to make changes
in design and specifications, and/or make additions to
or improvements to its products without imposing any
obligation upon itself to install them on products previously
manufactured."

Your vehicle's actual build date will also determine whether some features described in the manual are available on your vehicle.
Some features, such as "Entry/Exit on Park" may only be available on vehicles built after a certain date.

Also, make sure your Uconnect software is up to date. The most current version is v13.48.3. There are threads here describing how you can update it yourself.

jasonasey 01-11-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastman (Post 19305234)
I

. The big one is in the Suspension screen for the Quadra Lift system. I do not have a soft key to select the automatic "Entry/Exit on Park". I only have 4 items showing up in this screen:
1. Display Suspension Messages (2 check box choices: All or Warning. I have ALL selected)
2. Tire Jack Mode
3. Transport Mode
4. Wheel Alignment Mode

Hey I know on my Overland the Entry/ Exit Park is not under the Suspension Setting menu, but it is in another menu for sure..

Have a look through I can remember the name of it at the moment

Coastman 01-11-2014 11:14 AM

Thanks for the replies and welcoming me to the Forum. This is a great resource for all things Jeep. In the past I've owned a 1992 Grand Cherokee and a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi V-8). This '14 is replacing my '06 GC. I only stumbled upon this forum this past year while researching the new Grand Cherokee's.

What is a little disconcerting is the build date on my '14 Jeep GC is July 2013. My dealer did not have one on the lot with the color and options I wanted so he traded with another dealer that was located a couple hundred miles away to get this one. I bought it on Jan. 2, 2014, so it has been sitting either at the Jeep factory or a dealer lot for 6 months. Not sure if that makes any difference though. Other than this weird thing with some missing menu options everything else else works and performs perfectly & the fit/finish is excellent (brilliant white/light frost).

The Entry/Exit on Park is pretty important to us. My wife is very petite and it's a huge "jump" up and down for her to get in and out without it being in Park mode. I try to remember to hit the Park mode on the console when I'm coming to a stop to park, but I forget as much as I remember. Then I have to restart the car, tell her to stay in her seat for a bit until I lower the vehicle. It would be really nice to have it done automatically.

I hope this can be corrected with a simple software update. If not, I will be asking for a new Jeep from the dealer as this was a promised feature when we bought it (actually leased it).

Jeff_WK2 01-11-2014 11:36 AM

I just checked my menus for the Entry/Exit on Park suspension setting and it is nowhere to be found. I looked under every menu branch I could access.

My build date is June 24, 2013. Same as you, my dealer didn't have one in stock with the colors and equipment I wanted, so they got one from another dealer a couple hundred miles away. I bought mine on December 2, 2013 so it sat somewhere for a while, too. On the owner connect web site it shows that the dealer that ordered my car updated the software on September 18, 2013, and again on November 13, 2013.

Coastman 01-11-2014 11:48 AM

Jeff - Thanks for checking your GC menus. This will be an interesting discussion when I get back to our dealer in a couple weeks. This was a feature the salesman proudly showed me on the Jeep we did our demo ride in, and they said it was on all Overlands. So I never gave it a second thought when I picked mine up on Jan. 2. This dealer has been very good to work with (servicing my previous GC, as well as the purchase of this new one), so I'm hopeful they will make this right. If the can't add it to my Setting menu, then hopefully they will swap out our Jeep for one that has it. At least that's what I'm going to demand. We'll see.

Jeff_WK2 01-11-2014 11:54 AM

Forgot to mention, when I picked up my car on December 2 it had the current-at-the-time 13.38.52 software version on it. Then, on the day the 13.48.3 version was released I updated it myself.

Coastman 01-11-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_WK2 (Post 19319266)
Forgot to mention, when I picked up my car on December 2 it had the current-at-the-time 13.38.52 software version on it. Then, on the day the 13.48.3 version was released I updated it myself.

Do you know what that 13.48.3 update did? Obviously, it didn't add this menu option, but wondering what it may have added or fixed. Since I'm not having any other issues I'm reluctant to do an update that may cause problems. (i.e.: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

Jeff_WK2 01-11-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastman (Post 19319314)
Do you know what that 13.48.3 update did? Obviously, it didn't add this menu option, but wondering what it may have added or fixed. Since I'm not having any other issues I'm reluctant to do an update that may cause problems. (i.e.: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

The only thing I noticed that was different is the addition of Uconnect via Mobile apps for Pandora, iheartradio, Slacker, and aha internet-streaming music.

There were supposedly other bug fixes, etc. but the primary reason for the update was to add the via Mobile apps.

2014RedHemiGC 01-11-2014 01:54 PM

My Limited's build date is Sept. 4 and has the Entry/Exit on Park menu item.

jacko15 01-11-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastman (Post 19318394)
I hope this can be corrected with a simple software update. If not, I will be asking for a new Jeep from the dealer as this was a promised feature when we bought it (actually leased it).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Entry/Exit on Park feature cannot be added with a software update. In fact, there is no way to add this feature if it isn't there from the factory. Sorry. I'd like to add that it's second nature for me to hit the Entry/Exit Level button when coming in for a landing. My wife needs the lower level because of back problems. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. :)

As far as updates and bug fixes, this site is very useful:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

Coastman 01-11-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 19322930)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Entry/Exit on Park feature cannot be added with a software update. In fact, there is no way to add this feature if it isn't there from the factory. Sorry. I'd like to add that it's second nature for me to hit the Entry/Exit Level button when coming in for a landing. My wife needs the lower level because of back problems. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. :)

As far as updates and bug fixes, this site is very useful:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

I was trying to remain optimistic that a simple software update would add this, but I guess I was being unrealistic. I will present this info to the dealer and see how they respond.

According to the owners manual, I think (though I'm not positive) I should also have the following Setting options that are also missing from my screen:
In the "Safety & Driver Assistance" menu - I do not see any these choices:
- Brake Service
- Auto Park Brake
- Hold n Go

Are these also items that were added to later builds, or are they not applicable to the Overland 4x4 models?

How about a setting to keep the radio/audio source turned off (muted) when restarting the car? Did they add anything for that in later builds?

Medpilot 01-11-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastman (Post 19323538)
I was trying to remain optimistic that a simple software update would add this, but I guess I was being unrealistic. I will present this info to the dealer and see how they respond.

According to the owners manual, I think (though I'm not positive) I should also have the following Setting options that are also missing from my screen:
In the "Safety & Driver Assistance" menu - I do not see any these choices:
- Brake Service
- Auto Park Brake
- Hold n Go

Are these also items that were added to later builds, or are they not applicable to the Overland 4x4 models?

How about a setting to keep the radio/audio source turned off (muted) when restarting the car? Did they add anything for that in later builds?

I have an Aug build date (Overland) and I don't have those items. Brake Service, Auto Park Brake and Hold n Go. I wondered the same thing when I read the manual. I do however have option for "Exit/Entry on park mode" on the suspension settings.

The other feature I was surprised to see missing was the Ambient Lighting option. I have ambient lighting, but no soft keys to adjust it.

The other option (I don't have) the manual talks about (pg. 342) is Lane Departure Warning (LDW). Is this a feature only on the Summit?

Coastman 01-11-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medpilot (Post 19327682)
I have an Aug build date (Overland) and I don't have those items. Brake Service, Auto Park Brake and Hold n Go. I wondered the same thing when I read the manual. I do however have option for "Exit/Entry on park mode" on the suspension settings.

The other feature I was surprised to see missing was the Ambient Lighting option. I have ambient lighting, but no soft keys to adjust it.

The other option (I don't have) the manual talks about (pg. 342) is Lane Departure Warning (LDW). Is this a feature only on the Summit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MedPilot - I believe the LDW is only on the Summit, but I can't say that with absolute certainty. I know it is not on my Overland.

I also do not have the ambient lighting soft key - though the owners manual clearly suggests it should be there (just like the other missing soft keys previously mentioned). However, I can adjust the ambient lighting, along with the dash lighting, using the light dimmer control knob under the headlight switch. If you roll it all the way down until it clicks it turns off the ambient lighting completely but leaves the dash lights at a minimal illumination. So, the lack of an ambient lighting soft key is not a big deal to me.

Still, I'm really miffed that features that are outlined in the owners manual are not on my GC, and apparently they cannot be added with software updates. This seems like a bit of "bait and switch" with false advertising/promises regarding the vehicles features that were promoted vs. what is actually in the car.

The time now is 05:32 AM.