Metal rubbing / grinding sound - 2014 JGC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Metal rubbing / grinding sound - 2014 JGC

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
PMHSLight

Metal rubbing / grinding sound - 2014 JGC

I have a 2014 JGC Limited with 3600 miles on it. Today when driving from a stop I noticed a metallic rubbing sound ( almost like the rotors and brakes are worn). It lasted for a few seconds until I increased speed and then went away but keeps coming back intermittently. It's quite loud and noticeable, as if something is rubbing against the drive train or on the brakes / rotors. It's coming from underneath the jeep towards the rear. I dropped it off at the dealer tonight and pray that they can find out what it is. Again, it just started today and is intermittent, but when it does happen it's definitely noticeable. Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue? I will update when I hear anything from the dealer. I looked under the jeep but I have skid plates so there wasn't much I can see.

PMHSLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
ColdCase

2011 WK 

I had some debris get caught up under the skid plate once that occasionally rubbed the drive shaft, making a racket.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
PMHSLight

So the dealer called this morning and unfortunately cannot duplicate the problem (surprise) and they claim there is nothing wrong with the Jeep. I will have to see if I can take a tech out with me and duplicate it, although it is very intermittent and doesnt happen all the time. Out of a 30 minute drive, it maybe happens 3 times, when accelerating from a stop.
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
TurboRush

If its rained and the car sat outside you might notice some scrapping/grinding sound for a few stops (depending on speed, braking power) as the rust is rubbed off the rotor.

As ColdCase mentioned, I have also gotten a grinding/rubbing sound after going through some muddy/dirt road/crappy conditions. Debris flung up and caught. Hit the wheels with the hose and it was gone.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
PMHSLight

To follow up, The dealer claims they checked everything and couldnt re-create the problem. I picked the Jeep up yesterday and so far, it seems to be OK however I will need to drive around more and see if the sound returns.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Justal13
2012 WK 

1st thing I do in the winter when I hear an odd noise is run my GC through the carwash, or get it indoors to heat up for a few hours. Majority of the time, it is snow/ice buildup causing the problem. In particular, it seems every winter we have complaints in our company fleet about wheel imbalance problems. It is usually caused by snow/ice collecting on the wheel rims. A quick run through the wash bay fixes the problem.

With your GC, it could have been related to snow/ice that melted off once it sat inside at the dealer for a few hours. Or ice on a wheel or rotor assembly that eventually melted off. Hopefully, that is all it was. Best luck.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.