M3 to Grand cherokee?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > M3 to Grand cherokee??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #31
trob09

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgravley View Post
I am in need of a bigger car because I've had three kids in last 3 years. Currently driving a 2009 BMW M3, and it is by far the best car I've ever driven. I have been drawn to 2014 GC because of its style, cost, my lifestyle (camping, boating, fishing) and professional reviews. But, after reading these forums, I'm second guessing. Has anyone gone from a high performance luxury car to the GC and been satisfied? Any suggestions on engines? I lean towards the Eco-diesel. I know people will suggest the SRT, but I'm moving into a more practical time in my life. Thanks.
It's too early to claim 'satisfaction' from my 2014 SRT (it's been under 2 weeks) but I am happy with the choice. My wife drives an x3 and I have had a series of sports cars in the past (porsche, alfa, bmw) and the SRT is a great compromise between performance and the ability to haul a couple of people and their luggage. It's not exactly fuel-efficient, though.

As others have suggested, a performance car to SUV is - by nature - going to have some differences. The eco diesel is probably going to have the greatest difference from sport vehicle to family truckster as far as the GC goes.

Someone else suggested looking at a Durango - I traded in my 2011 Durango for the SRT as I didn't need 3 rows of seats. I was originally looking at the Summit with the 5.7 hemi, but then I drove the SRT. With 3 kids, you may want to consider the GC as the small end of the vehicle needs and the Durango as a more appropriate size - at least if my in-laws are any example of the amount of crap that you need to haul around with kids. It's definitely less sporty than the GC, but it's still not a minivan.

trob09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #32
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
competitively? doubt it.

for fun? definitely. most are probably track days, open track events, etc. I do not know of one in sanctioned competition. Is there SRT club racing, for non-viper vehicles? off topic, yes....
I see SRTs often at the mile tracks. Fun to play with that launch control But hardly fair to the competition as even the novice gets a better launch than a pro in a Porsche (or the overpriced Rover for that matter).
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #33
Jeepfreak86

I'll offer my feedback since I was in your exact same shoes almost exactly a year ago.

I owned a 2004 low mileage, beautifully modded e46 M3. Loved the car to death. Owned it for 4 years, but as my life progressed I needed something more practical since the M3 didn't fit my lifestyle as much anymore. I battled back and forth going to a Jeep for much of the same reasons you are looking for (space, practicality, etc.), but after test driving a few, I knew I would miss the overall sporty feel and pickup I was used to from the M. While the V8 had plenty of kick, I wasn't prepared to live at the gas station. The only Jeep I know I would be happy in is the SRT8. At the time, the SRT8 was over my budget and couldn't make the jump. I knew if I got anything other than the SRT, I wouldn't be happy. I ended up with a 2013 WRX Hatch which turned out to be a lot of fun and easy to mod. Quick and I got my added space I needed. However, I do often wonder what it would be like if I went with the Jeep. Now a year lately (almost exactly), I find myself entertaining another M3 (e90 to be exact) or a V8 Jeep or SRT8. Our situation is both fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate enough to be able to own and drive such an amazing car (m3), but unfortunate enough because it has spoiled our minds of what we expect/want from a car. It's very tough to make the jump, but everybody is different. I know there is definitely fun to be had with a Jeep, but there is also tons of fun to be had with the M. Very different categories and aspects that either car can't compete with. I just went out and test drove as many different versions of the Jeep so I could to get an idea. In doing that, it allowed me to realize it wasn't for me unless I spent 45k+ on an SRT8. In other words, go out and test drive. It can completely change your mind in an instant. Best of luck with the decision!
Jeepfreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #34
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

I went from a 2010 M3 Coupe and traded it in on a 2012 GC Overland V8. Once in a while, I do miss the power and handling of the M3. But legally, other than a track or closed course, where can you enjoy the performance of an M3? Plus my current Summit V8 is so easy to get in and out of and more practical and has a much better stereo than the M3 had with their upgraded $1,000 stereo option.

But that M3 V8 was a screamer. I will say that. Fuel mileage on the M3 vs the GC was the same for the way I use them.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
mcskeeto

I too have a 2009 M3 and purchased a 2012 overland V8. I also think the M3 is the best car I've ever owned. I knew the Cherokee wouldn't even come close to the performance so I kept the M3. I actually drive the Cherokee way more than the M3, but when I drive the BMW, I appreciate it more. I love my Jeep also. It is the go anywhere do anything vehicle I was looking for. If you can keep both, especially since the are going back to the supercharged 6 cylinder design for the new ones. Nothing will replace hat V8 rumble in the 2009.
mcskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #36
Dgravley

I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses. It has been quite a difficult decision to change vehicles. In an ideal world, I'd have a three car garage and could just add the jeep to the M3 and Mini-Van (yah, I have a sweet Honda Odyssey). My previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer. I really miss being able to park anywhere and not worry about your car. I have driven every SUV on the market, and the GC seems to be the best all around. I have twin boys who just turned 4, so I'm really looking forward to weekend camping trips and maybe buying a bass boat. Cant really do those things in the BMW. Again, I appreciate all of your advice.
Dgravley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #37
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Is there any way you could set up a small car port or something like it? Man, my Z4M is like 1/3 an M3 when it comes to interior space. Keeping it can't be at all about practicality. Though I'm not going to be taking my son camping in the Z4, that clearly what the GC is for, I'm hopeful he'll enjoy taking it to Cars and Coffee or the like or track days if we have it that long. With twin sons, at least one is sure to have some interest in cars. Anyway, if you have major limitations on space etc, well, it is what it is. Final word from me - DON'T SELL IT! Easy for me to say, I know.
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #38
Justal13
2012 WK 

My 2012 GC is still as quiet, tight and squeek/rattle-free as it was when new. I would compare the ride with almost anything else on the road, particularly in our cold & snowy winters in the midwest.

However, I would not consider the GC for 3 kids. It is really a 4 passenger vehicle, with room for 5 in a pinch. I would personally consider a Dodge Durango instead. The 2014 restyling is nice, particularly the racetrack LED tail-lights similar to those on the Charger. The 3rd row seating gives you the extra space you will need for those extra passengers.

It does not have a diesel option yet, but get the R/T version if you want something a big more sporty. Best luck.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #39
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Problem with Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justal13 View Post
My 2012 GC is still as quiet, tight and squeek/rattle-free as it was when new. I would compare the ride with almost anything else on the road, particularly in our cold & snowy winters in the midwest.

However, I would not consider the GC for 3 kids. It is really a 4 passenger vehicle, with room for 5 in a pinch. I would personally consider a Dodge Durango instead. The 2014 restyling is nice, particularly the racetrack LED tail-lights similar to those on the Charger. The 3rd row seating gives you the extra space you will need for those extra passengers.

It does not have a diesel option yet, but get the R/T version if you want something a big more sporty. Best luck.
Is it doesnt have the off road capability of the GC! If you really need the off road capability of the GC is required. 3rd row seats are nice until you rear ended since they are in the crush zone.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

2010 Commander was the last year of the 7 passenger jeep. You can get them loaded with QDII and a 359hp 389tq Hemi.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

There was only one real M3

And that was the E30M3. The rest are just real nice 3 series with a more powerful engine, bigger brakes and improved suspensions.
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #42
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
There was only one real M3. And that was the E30M3. The rest are just real nice 3 series with a more powerful engine, bigger brakes and improved suspensions.
Pffft, you're joking, right?? I guess you're trolling again, as usual. The E30 is seriously over hyped!!

The later M3's, and BTW they are just as REAL as any other car, were just more powerful, handled better, stopped better, nothing that would really matter to a REAL driver....
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
bmoney12
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin
Pffft, you're joking, right?? I guess you're trolling again, as usual. The E30 is seriously over hyped!! The later M3's, and BTW they are just as REAL as any other car, were just more powerful, handled better, stopped better, nothing that would really matter to a REAL driver....
Agreed. Some folks can't adjust with the times! M3 enthusiast are some of the worst when a new model comes out. The new F80 M3 is going to be a beast. I've got my order in!

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the...car-1507516158
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #44
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Do you know anything about M3s???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Pffft, you're joking, right?? I guess you're trolling again, as usual. The E30 is seriously over hyped!!

The later M3's, and BTW they are just as REAL as any other car, were just more powerful, handled better, stopped better, nothing that would really matter to a REAL driver....
Really?? Do your research and you find out why I said what I did. E30M3 handles better than any of the newer M3s and I have driven them all both on the street and track. Where was the E30M3 built? Was it built on the 3 series production line???
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Really?? Do your research and you find out why I said what I did. E30M3 handles better than any of the newer M3s and I have driven them all both on the street and track. Where was the E30M3 built? Was it built on the 3 series production line???
Looks like I struck a nerve with a fanboy!!

Excerpt from that article posted above:

The phrase a "real M car" is used A LOT in modern automotive journalism. Watch or read any outlet's coverage on a car BMW M has touched and the phrase is bound to turn up. It is often referenced as a comparative benchmark with no explanation of what it means. In reality, it is completely subjective nonsense.

That last sentence is probably gonna be a VERY tough pill for you to swallow, Dave....
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.