M3 to Grand cherokee?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > M3 to Grand cherokee??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I went from a 2011 Subaru WRX STI, tuned to just under 400hp, to a 2014 SRT. I'm absolutely 100% satisfied that I made the right choice. I understand you said that you're not considering the SRT, for practical reasons. I don't really feel like after choosing the SRT, that it has turned out to be any less practical than the other trim levels. Not sure why it would be? Unless you intend to off-road it.

Now, fiscally, that's different than practicality. Obviously TCO of the SRT is higher. For me, it was an acceptable trade-off.

Unread 01-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Mike7680
2011 WK 

Had a 335i (which my wife took over) when I got the 2011 GC Laredo X with 5.7 Hemi. It will never rocket from a stop light like a BMW, but the maintenance costs won't get you either. Very smooth and more economical than I thought (21 Hwy/17.6 city) on regular OR Mid-grade fuel. This is my third GC and the best by far.
Mike7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Apples and Oranges.

I had a 2013 E92 M3. Now I have a 2013 GC Trailhawk. Both great. Comparing those two it was a no brainer. One is a $70K car and the other is a $40K car. I like not having a car payment.
Unread 01-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

But

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Apples and Oranges.

I had a 2013 E92 M3. Now I have a 2013 GC Trailhawk. Both great. Comparing those two it was a no brainer. One is a $70K car and the other is a $40K car. I like not having a car payment.
You can drive your Trailhawk around any road course and your lap times will be significantly slower than the M3 but you cant go bombing across a pasture in a M3. If you do you suffer damage and it might be significant.

Unlike an Audi S4 or RS4 a M3 is based on a RWD platform like the GC. Q5 and Q7 are also nose heavy. Both GC and M3 have better weight distribution than their Audi counterparts and better chassis balance.

Which vehicle is right for you depends on your biases.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
stomachdoc

Just traded in my 2012 Audi A6 for a '14 JGC Summit. Went with the V6 as the math for the diesel just didn't work out (I don't keep cars long enough for the ROI to make sense). The V-8 sounds pretty thirsty and I'm not usually towing anything.

Had an '09 JK Wrangler as well as a 1994 Grand Cherokee in the past!

Very impressed with the Jeep; the quality of the interior materials is approaching that of the Audi. Pleasantly surprised with the 8.4AN UConnect system as well.

Can't really compare the Jeep and the Audi (or M3) as they are totally different animals. I like driving cars that are entirely different from the one I trade in! I really like not having to worry about potholes or mud (there is a lot of both of those in New England right now).
stomachdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #21
millionaire75
2012 WK 

I just traded in my 2006 330i with sport package for a 2012 Laredo and haven't looked back. They are two totally different cars and while I miss the acceleration and handling of my BMW, the GC is just much more comfortable and the fact that I can actually drive it in the snow is great (BMW had RWD). The GC has much more features as BMW barely gives you anything in their cars (not to mention good cup holders). While the interior of the GC has many more features I definitely can tell the quality of the interior parts are slightly less than the BMW....but it's barely noticeable and I don't miss the BMW. We have one 11 month old and I definitely feel a lot safer in the Jeep. Hope this helps and good luck!
millionaire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

I kept my 07 Z4M coupe and got the Jeep. If you love the M3, you should work out a way to keep it. Naturally aspirated M3s appear to have gone the way of the dodo birds. I had an E46 M3 before the M coupe, regretted getting rid of it, loved the big inline 6. The M coupe turned out to be even better. When the first thing you say about the M3 is "it is by far the best car I've ever driven." - to me that says this guy might regret it if he sells it. If you bought it new, I'd hope at this point you weren't still paying on it and if that's the case, I'd only say again, don't sell it. If you bought it used and still owe a pile on it, well, there may be some financial issue and I understand that and would still say try to keep it. What can I say, anybody that owns and truly appreciated an M car is someone I'm going to encourage to keep it. Good luck with the decisions.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
If I was buying a new SUV now it would be a tough choice between a V6 2014 WK2 and 2014 Range Rover Sport V6 Supercharged. Range Rovers and WK2s have the most off road ability.
I find it interesting that you often bring up the Range Rover and compare it to the GC. The Range Rover is close to TWICE as expensive, yet you seem to compare them as if most Jeep buyers are trying to pick one over the other. I think it's safe to say that the majority of people in the market for a GC aren't cross shopping Range Rovers. It's a completely different price point.

Another thing, comparing an M3 to a Jeep GC is silly. They are completely different. That's like comparing apples to pork chops or something lol. Who drives a Grand Cherokee on a track competitively??
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Who drives a Grand Cherokee on a track competitively??
SRT owners...
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
SRT owners...
competitively? doubt it.

for fun? definitely. most are probably track days, open track events, etc. I do not know of one in sanctioned competition. Is there SRT club racing, for non-viper vehicles? off topic, yes....
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
I find it interesting that you often bring up the Range Rover and compare it to the GC. The Range Rover is close to TWICE as expensive, yet you seem to compare them as if most Jeep buyers are trying to pick one over the other. I think it's safe to say that the majority of people in the market for a GC aren't cross shopping Range Rovers. It's a completely different price point.

Another thing, comparing an M3 to a Jeep GC is silly. They are completely different. That's like comparing apples to pork chops or something lol. Who drives a Grand Cherokee on a track competitively??
Twice as expensive, really??. Base price of a V6 Range Rover Sport is just under $63,500. Nicely optioned Summit with about same hp and torque ie V8 is just under $56,000. Double?? We werent comparing the Range Rover with the GC. Would be interesting to know what the prices are down under. Also remember the price of the GC and Range Rover Sport has a lot to do with what the monetary policies of the US and the UK are since they effect exchange rates which effect prices. So price isnt as easy to compare as one would think.

BTW we were comparing how each vehicle feels since the GC is based on a RWD platform as is the M3 they have some similarities. M3 has close to a 50/50 weigh distribution and the GC with V6 is 52/48.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Quote:
Twice as expensive, really??. Base price of a V6 Range Rover Sport is just under $63,500. Nicely optioned Summit with about same hp and torque ie V8 is just under $56,000. Double?? We werent comparing the Range Rover with the GC. Would be interesting to know what the prices are down under. Also remember the price of the GC and Range Rover Sport has a lot to do with what the monetary policies of the US and the UK are since they effect exchange rates which effect prices. So price isnt as easy to compare as one would think.

BTW we were comparing how each vehicle feels since the GC is based on a RWD platform as is the M3 they have some similarities. M3 has close to a 50/50 weigh distribution and the GC with V6 is 52/48. Maybe is you spent some time driving you would understand.
I will disagree. GC and Range Rover not even close to same ball park of price. Sure maybe the cheapest model of the Range Rover w/ no options and the most expensive model of the GC and you are still not the same but it would be close. Compare a fully loaded GC to the same features and options on a RR and you are close to double.

Base model RR Sport (w/o V8) is $71K equipped like my GC that I got for less than $40K (Hemi). You cannot compare the two AT ALL.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #28
MrBreeze

Before I bought the Summit I went and test drove a Cayenne GTS. In sport mode using the paddles on the PDK it was quick amazingly responsive and did not feel like a SUV, but the sticker on the one I drove was almost 112K.
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:

BTW we were comparing how each vehicle feels since the GC is based on a RWD platform as is the M3 they have some similarities. M3 has close to a 50/50 weigh distribution and the GC with V6 is 52/48. Maybe is you spent some time driving you would understand.
Base price of a Laredo V6 is $30k, so yeah, double. And I said NEARLY double. Using the base price of the RR and the price of a fully loaded Summit isn't exactly a fair comparison either.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #30
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:

Base price of a Laredo V6 is $30k, so yeah, double. And I said CLOSE TO double, as I'm realistic and I understand that many people like to get options on their rigs. Using the base price of the RR and the price of a fully loaded Summit isn't exactly a fair comparison either. Range Rover buyers are likely to want options too, inflating the purchase price.

Last edited by hemispin; 01-14-2014 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: clarity

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.