M3 to Grand cherokee?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > M3 to Grand cherokee??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Dgravley

M3 to Grand cherokee??

I am in need of a bigger car because I've had three kids in last 3 years. Currently driving a 2009 BMW M3, and it is by far the best car I've ever driven. I have been drawn to 2014 GC because of its style, cost, my lifestyle (camping, boating, fishing) and professional reviews. But, after reading these forums, I'm second guessing. Has anyone gone from a high performance luxury car to the GC and been satisfied? Any suggestions on engines? I lean towards the Eco-diesel. I know people will suggest the SRT, but I'm moving into a more practical time in my life. Thanks.

Dgravley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - I have a fair-weather performance car, (2009 Caddy CTS-V), and bought my first 2013 GC Overland/Summit 5.7 hemi about this time last year, for the rougher stuff and weather. No problems at all with the GC in about 8,000 miles, and I love it! I think people come here when they have problems, for info. and possible solutions, so it kind of makes it seem like there are a lot of issues with GC's, and there appears to be some glitches with some of the new features/software on the 2014 GC's, but those issues are sure to be resolved soon - if not already, IMO. As far as I am concerned, I'm satisfied, and would not hesitate to recommend the GC to anyone.
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I have as the daily driver, always had a Jeep for foul weather. You are not going to match the driving feel of the M3 with anything. There are better handling SUVs for a lot more money, but the WK2 is a pretty good long distance cruiser and handles pretty good, satisfying enough. But that's subjective, you need to test drive a few variations. You will get opinions all over the place here, including one to look at the Rover.
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Lifted07Duramax
1999 WJ 

I have a 2008 335i that is so built only an ESS M3 running 8lbs will keep up. I love the speed, but honestly I dont use it that much.
I too am shopping for a GC but Im wanting to get rid of my duramax and get one and also have the 335i
If I do get one itll be either the diesel or the 5.7 I've been looking for performance parts and can't seem to find anything as of yet.

But I would think that with the diesel GC that tuning should be able to up the performance of it by quite a bit.

Will it handle like a M3? no way but I think you can have fun with it and itll do everything you want it to unlike the M3 is limited to where it can go.
Lifted07Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Went from a 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI to 2014 G.C. Limited with 3.6L Pentastar V-6. Couldn't be happier. Fit's my lifestyle at this point in time.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Chassis balance

Since most 3 series have approx a 50/50 weight distribution a WK2 with V6 comes closest to this. I used to have a track day E30325i and then a Honda Element. My 2012 WK2 with the V6 and ORAI package is nicely balanced and can be steered with the brake and throttle. On back roads it will take a nice set and head for the apex. I find the chassis very well balanced. I have test driven the V8 powered WK2s and they dont have the same balance because of the increased weight of the V8 and 2 extra cylinders. Like a 3 series the WK2 is based on RWD platform. I drove most of the competition except for the really pricey Cayennes and found the V6 WK2 to be the best balanced on road. Its a little hard to get BMW, Audi and Porsche dealers to let you take a X5, ML,, GL, Q5, Tourag, or Cayenne off road down a trail. Interesting the Range Rover dealer had no problem with this. 2014 Range Rover Sport and Range Rover are as well balanced both on and off road. The 2012s were not. If I was buying a new SUV now it would be a tough choice between a V6 2014 WK2 and 2014 Range Rover Sport V6 Supercharged. Range Rovers and WK2s have the most off road ability.

I havent test driven the diesel Wk2 and since I dont tow dont need the diesel.
Jeep current option structure mean a diesel WK2 would never pay me back in fuel savings.

Go for a long test drive and see what you like. My bro who has a 2011 3 series loves to drive my GC. Likes the way it handles and the fact it doesnt have run flats.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
rasta

I went from a tuned 2010 Audi S4 (about 420 hp/380 lb/ft torque) to a the GC in my sig. Was in the same boat. Love the GC, I think you'll like it even more coming from an M3's interior. Stick to a loaded Overland or Summit for the luxury/tech. Love the diesel I'd recommend test driving a 2014.5 Hemi and Diesel side by side though.

@Dave2002ti

The GC isn't a sports car or sports sedan, you can't worry about weight distribution, etc. If you're in that market, look at a Porsche, Range Rover Sport or BMW SUV...

I think of the GC is a nice cushy tech filled SUV w/ off road cred. Solid platform (read: Mercedes), good suspension w/ QLII and a great transmission if you go with the Hemi or diesel. If you want anything approaching sportiness with a GC you're looking at an SRT which the OP clearly wasn't interested in. That being said, if you want better handling, sport mode on the quadra-lift II air suspension is a must, you won't get that with a Limited w/ ORA I. If you want some grunt go with the diesel, and if you want a higher revving experience stick w/ the Hemi. Doubt the OP would want to go from an M3 to the V6.
Unread 01-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
Jeff_WK2

I have a tuned 335i and a 2014 v6 GC Overland 4x4 and while you'll never confuse the two, the Jeep is still pretty much fun to drive. I prefer it over the several v8 X5's I test drove, and over the v8 GC. Seems more balanced and acceleration is more than adequate.
Jeff_WK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
MrBreeze

I have 2014 Summit with the V8 and I have a lot of experiences with sporty cars (I've owned or own many Porsche's Ferrari's Lambo's Maserati's and pretty every m car made in the last 15 years) and I think the Summit is a great package. It is a foul weather kid hauler for me but in sport mode and using the paddles it can be fun to drive. The only SUV that will give you the feel of your current car is a Cayenne GTS and you can buy two GC for the cost of one of those. I have owned a lot of SUV's (including a Cayenne Turbo) and the Jeep is my favorite.
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
MJS
2014 WK 

I have an E46 M3 as a summer car. No complaints here with the 2014 Limited V6. Yeah, it's not going to handle as well or accelerate as fast, but that's not what it's designed for. It's a much more relaxed driving experience.
The technology in the Jeep is fantastic. I don't have any of that in the M3, short of an aftermarket ipod/iphone connection.

I think the M3 is going to see less driving this year!
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Was pondering the almost the same when deciding on the Jeep. I've found the Hemi equipped version to offer excellent performance (ECO "off") and don't feel that it's lacking in any category compared to the CTS-V and Z06.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
ComfortablyNumb
2014 WK 

"I am in need of a bigger car because I've had three kids in last 3 years" and "Has anyone gone from a high performance luxury car to the GC and been satisfied?"

I'm not completely certain what your primary issue is. It seems like you need a larger vehicle; and, you are concerned with a possible drop in performance by moving to the GC.

I can't speak to the latter concern other than to say that I've been very satisfied with the performance of my 2014 GC.

However, concerning the size issue, I moved from a 2008 Toyota 4Runner to the 2014 GC, and I'm moderately disappointed in the amount of space I lost. I say moderately because there's now only me, my wife, and our Golden Retriever. If I still had ANY children at home, the GC would never have even been a consideration.

If the GC will be your personal sporting vehicle, then I say go for it. If you're looking for a family car with great off-road features and more interior space, I would strongly suggest a look at the new 4Runners and maybe even a larger vehicle.
ComfortablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Unless your going SRT you will be disappointed.

3 Kids is tight in the back of a wk2 GC go durango 4x4
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
EllisWyatt
2013 WK 

Obviously, the ideal solution is to keep your M3 and, in addition, get whatever vehicle meets your needs for kids, outdoor lifestyle, etc. If an extra vehicle is not possible right now and you're coming off of a V-8 powered M3 then you will definitely want something with power. Why not bring the kids to the dealer, load them up in a GC with a V-8 and try it out? See if it fits the bill for practicality while still giving you some power (which, if you're anything like me, you will sorely miss).
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
bmoney12
2014 WK 

I love my GC limited V8. I find myself driving it more often than my Mercedes C63. I'd say the technology is better in the GC but the fit and finish is maybe a 1/2 notch lower than the C63. I expected that though considering there is a 25K price difference between the two. If I didn't also have the C63 then I definitely would have gone for the SRT. From my experience when I convince myself to buy something more practical that's the car I usually trade in the quickest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.