Lower intermediate shaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Lower intermediate shaft

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

I have the shudder/bump issue and am scheduled to get the intermediate shaft replaced next weekend. I've grown used to it over the past 15k miles (noticed the issue from day 1)... Has anyone experienced anything worse by getting it replaced? Ie bumping was worse, the replacement ruined steering alignment, etc? Again, I've become pretty used to it and just hope I don't end up with a worse result by messing with it... Or conversely, is anyone pleased with their replacement? Need some reassurance!

dmaccioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaccioc View Post
I have the shudder/bump issue and am scheduled to get the intermediate shaft replaced next weekend. I've grown used to it over the past 15k miles (noticed the issue from day 1)... Has anyone experienced anything worse by getting it replaced? Ie bumping was worse, the replacement ruined steering alignment, etc? Again, I've become pretty used to it and just hope I don't end up with a worse result by messing with it... Or conversely, is anyone pleased with their replacement? Need some reassurance!
I had mine replaced on my 2011 and it took care of the problem. Its a pretty simple fix takes about 45 minutes to change the shaft. It won't affect alignment. They just need to make sure the steering wheel is straight when they install it which I'm sure they will do.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I had mine replaced on my 2011 and it took care of the problem. Its a pretty simple fix takes about 45 minutes to change the shaft. It won't affect alignment. They just need to make sure the steering wheel is straight when they install it which I'm sure they will do.
Great! Good to hear.
Unread 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
peddler

So how do you tell the difference between a bad intermediate shaft and warped rotors if they both cause shudder on braking?
peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Ernestd
2011 WK 

I'm not an expert but I've experienced warped rotors on previously owned automobiles.
Warped rotors were louder and usually was more audible when braking from 60 kph or faster and was a pulsating feel in the brake pedal.
This intermediate shaft issue is from what I've experienced a thumping feeling in the steering wheel when going over bumps.
Cheers
Ernestd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
masscomguru

so what actually fails on the shaft? does it have U-joints or CV type ends?
masscomguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Ernestd
2011 WK 

Looks like a u joint to me.It seemed that when the weather is really cold my steering felt fine.When it got very hot outside,I could feel a bit of looseness and a slight bump in the steering wheel when turning in parking lot maneuvers.Thats when I realized something was amiss!
Now I have read online that GM had a similar issue with some of their vehicles and they addressed it with a lubricating kit.
Seemed like they would pack all joints with grease so that it would smooth out all movement at the joints.
That's all folks!
Cheers
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

This sounds like an issue I am currently experiencing. Is it a fairly pronounced thud that almost feels like the abs engaging in parking lot maneuvres? I've had it happen a handful of times but could not replicate to the dealer. Seems to happen out of nowhere usually when coming to a stop, all of a sudden you get a good bump as if something moved or shifted ??

Thanks for the info and updates Ernestd.
SixZeroFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
Ernestd
2011 WK 

There is a TSB for the intermediate shaft repair.
Unread 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

I'm getting mine repaired tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I make out.
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Ernestd
2011 WK 

I'm glad I was able to assist.
Cheers
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

Sounds fishy to me.

From the moment I got my GC last September, I noticed a "light click" or knock in the steering wheel any time I hit a moderate/hard bump or braked moderately hard. It wasn't bothersome enough for me to make a big stink, so I vowed to wait until my 15k service to swap out the intermediate shaft.

Just had the service done today, and immediately noticed improvement in the steering feel over bumpy roads. Also slammed on the brakes and felt nothing in the steering. As far as I'm concerned, it's fixed.

If your dealer refuses to acknowledge the intermediate shaft bumping issue, I'd go elsewhere.
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
Ernestd
2011 WK 

You're a good man dmaccloc.
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
Dude514
2011 WK 

Hey, did anyone notice a noise accoiated with this issue ? I think I have the shaft problem but I can hear what sounds like a light thud / tapping from near or behind the steering column in the dash. I can definitlly feel it a tapping in the wheel, especially when turing to the right, and/or on bumpy roads. Sooooo any noises ??
Dude514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
skremese
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude514 View Post
Hey, did anyone notice a noise accoiated with this issue ? I think I have the shaft problem but I can hear what sounds like a light thud / tapping from near or behind the steering column in the dash. I can definitlly feel it a tapping in the wheel, especially when turing to the right, and/or on bumpy roads. Sooooo any noises ??
I had my lower intermediate shaft replaced with the prevelant issue being a tap or knock through the steering wheel. Happen mostly when stopping quickly or accelerating from a stop, again quickly, on rough roads. There was no audible noise in the cabin for me.
skremese is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.