Lower intermediate shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Lower intermediate shaft

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Ernestd
2011 WK 

Lower intermediate shaft

Has anyone had their replacement lower intermediate shaft also fail on them?

Ernestd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

What was this in response to? Steering issues, suspension? What did replacing it solve? Thank you
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Ernestd
2011 WK 

Shudder and or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking and or traveling over rough roads.There has been a TSB issued.I had my lower intermediate shaft replaced as per tsb and the vehicle was fine for about 7000 kilometers but I have noticed that the issue is coming back again and I can feel the shudder/ bump in the steering wheel.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

I feel this is a weak link that Jeep needs to address ASAP. My 2011 limited was plagued with shudder on highway speeds like a vibration. Got a 2012 now and it's back at just 5000 miles. some people think its the 20's or tire pressure ect bogus simple stuff. I believe it s'more complex like replacing the shaft as you have done.
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Ernestd
2011 WK 

Iam on my second shaft now and it's also in the early stages of steering wheel shudder and bump feel .
There must be more people out there who are on their second intermediate shaft and it is also failing !
Unread 05-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

I had mine replaced one day after the TSB came out, I just noticed it came back about a month ago. I only put about 4k a year on my jeep so it took a while.
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Ernestd
2011 WK 

I'm wondering if Chrysler has redesigned this shaft or are they just replacing them with the same shaft ?
Maybe an aftermarket shaft would be a better repair?Just a thought.
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Hey fellows can you bring me up to speed on what the "TSB" is? Thanks going to look into getting the shaft replaced as well if the dealer will cover it and not blame it on my lift .
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Ernestd
2011 WK 

TSB# 19-004-11 dated August 19,2011.
Shudder and or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate breaking or over rough roads.
The replacement shaft did work for a while but the shudder/bump feel is now coming back after approximately seven months and 7000 kilometers of driving.
Not that great of a redesign if you ask me!
Anyone else out there?
Cheers
Unread 07-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
AIB

I am getting the same shudder / bump feeling through the steering wheel on my 2012 JGC limited - V6. The car only has 2,000 kms on it. I thought that Jeep had solved this issue with all the MY2012 JGC's? Anyone else with a 2012 getting this issue?

Sometimes when I'm on a steep hill going downwards I can continuously make the steering wheel bump appear by turning - correcting - turning -correcting.

I will book a check up with the dealer to check it out, is there any part in specific I can ask the mechanic to inspect, since the bump / shudder is hard to notice i have a feeling they wont be able to detect it and say everything is ok.

Is this issue dangerous in terms of the car being safe? The JGC is my wife's daily driver and she hauls the kids around in it. Don't want the family to be in a life threatening situation because of this mechanical defect.
AIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Ernestd
2011 WK 

I am now on my 3rd. Intermediate shaft.
We'll see how long this one lasts?
Cheers
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

My 2012 is at 7thousand miles and the shudder is beginning to develop, seeing as how I installed my lift kit at 900 miles I'm sure the dealer will not warranty the shaft saying its the lift that caused the issue. So I'm waiting to a better solution presents itself.
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
AIB

Called the dealer for a service appointment and asked to speak to a technical person. As soon as i described the bump / shudder feeling he said that its probably the intermediate shaft and they are well aware of it. Also said that it does not pose any danger on the cars stability or safety. Will be sending the car in next week to install a new shaft. Feel relieved that I'm sure they won't give me the run around and just say that the car is ok and there's no problem. Hopefully it'll take me only one shaft to solve the problem once and for all. Cheers
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Ernestd
2011 WK 

Lets hope the replacement shaft works out for you AB.
Cheers
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
AIB

Just got back from the service center. They did a test drive and noticed the slight bump / shudder feeling. It is almost unnoticeable at the moment but i wanted to get it checked out early on before it became something serious. They then proceeded to physically check the steering and suspension components and found nothing to be worn / damaged / or lose! They said the intermediate shaft is fine and the bearings are all good. According to the manager when there's a problem with the intermediate shaft the bump / shudder is very strong, not like mine where its a light click in the steering wheel. Their final explanation was that this click feeling is the electric steering working and everything is 100% normal, yet they are still going to note down the issue with the Jeep head quarters in case other clients were experiencing this issue and Jeep has figured it out. Can anyone verify if the electric steering does this, and verify the that when the intermediate shaft is shot its very noticeable and the whole steering wheel clearly feels annoyingly wrong. I have a Fiat Abarth 500 and it has electric steering and its perfectly smooth without any bump or click.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.