Lost key fob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Lost key fob

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Joegarf

Lost key fob

I lost my key fob from my 2014 GC, have another one as a back-up, but the dealers charge about 260, seen one on-line for 133, but it says to program it, is it difficult to do, if so, i will just pay the dealer to do it, any suggestions, Thanks

Joegarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Dunno about 2014, but some locksmiths could program a second key fob if you have one. Big part of the price is dealers want you to buy their FOB. They will tell you it's because they know it will work.
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Ouch...

One important point if you are looking at alternatives to purchasing the replacement fob from your dealer...the fobs can only be programmed once, so you need to be absolutely sure that whatever you buy is "brand new" in that respect. Personally, I'd bite the bullet and deal with the dealer, as painful as that might be.
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Joegarf

Lost key fob

Thanks for the good advice...
Joegarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
hemispin
2014 WK 

Ebay is a great place for electronic fobs. Good luck.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
eriejeepguy
2011 WK 

I lost a key fob to my wife's Chrysler minivan. The dealer did want $250 to $300

But the Service Manager told me that if I bought one on line, he would program it for $35. I thought that was a great deal.

I found the matching 7 function key fob on the internet at I keyless.com. I think it cost me $79. I took it the dealer and he programmed it with one problem - he could not get the keyless enter-and-go to work. That is the feature where you walk up to the van and the door unlocks if you have the fob in your pocket. It also allows you to use the push button start if the fob is in the car. All other features worked ( unlock doors, open tailgate, open side doors etc.). I could start the van by removing the push button and inserting the key.

It turns out that I should have bought the full seven feature key fob WITH the additional keyless enter and go feature. That key costs $99 or so. I-Keyless was very nice and offered to take my key back but I decided to keep it as a spare.

I went ahead and bought the right one and will have it programmed on her next oil change. I recommend I-Keyless.
eriejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
chowner
2014 WK 

you have a van?
chowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
eriejeepguy
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
you have a van?
Read more carefully. I referred to my wife's Chrysler van. The key fob is virtually identical to my Jeep, hence the reference.
eriejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.