Looking at purchasing my first Jeep but apprehensive.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at purchasing my first Jeep but apprehensive..

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
cville4

Looking at purchasing my first Jeep but apprehensive..

due to reliability concerns. My last 3 cars have all been Toyota 4runners and all have been absolutely stellar reliability wise, going back almost 20 years. My current 4runner is an '04 with 215k miles on it, and the only repairs I've had to make was I replaced the front wheel bearings at around 150k...the rest was your typical maintenance stuff. Well, I'm now looking for a new SUV and I simply can't stand the new 4Runner; the outside design is hideous and the inside looks downright cheap. Meanwhile, the new GC looks absolutely beautiful while still maintaining its rugged looks, and in fact I'm going to test drive one this weekend.

However, I'm worried about Jeep's reliability, particularly given the ratings from JD Power and Consumer Reports, especially when compared to Toyota. My parents both drive an '04 and '05 GC currently and have had far more repair issues overall (in fact they think I'm nuts for considering leaving Toyota for Jeep). But, again I really like the looks of the new Jeep and besides, especially during our tough economic times, I really want to buy American and help out my fellow Americans as much as possible.

With all that being said, any comments as to your good experiences with Jeep would be appreciated. I've also read that Jeep's reliability have improved quite a bit in recent years too. If I take the plunge and go with the GC, I don't expect it to go 200k+ with one minor repair but I also don't want to have it in the shop much either, considering I spend most of my time on the road working out of my car (I'm in sales).

Thanks in advance...

cville4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
theskier74
2001 WJ 

are you looking for a 2012? search around a little bit if you dont get an answer right away from some people that know a lot about the WK2's. im sure by digging around the forum you can find some answers from people either complaining or praising
theskier74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
cville4

Yes, 2012 unless I get a great deal on a leftover '11...
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

We've got 12,500 miles on the Overland now and the only issues we had was numerous air suspension failures and a slight whine in the heater blower motor. All covered under warranty. If you're worried about repairs, just get an extended warranty. Air suspension has been good for some time now and it gets used a lot. The heater blower motor was barely noticeable but since there is little road noise in the new Jeep you can notice little things like this
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Cochon
2012 WK 

Everything in life is a tradeoff. American and German vehicles tend to be less reliable than Japanese and Korean marques, and the WK2 is no exception. But often against that is superior engineering, design and performance. Again, the WK2 is no exception. It is one hell of a vehicle, especially if you want four-wheel drive.

We went into the purchase of a 2012 Overland with eyes open after having spent months studying users' experiences and credible media reports, including CR, TrueDelta and to a lesser extent Powers. Knowing that we were getting the vehicle that was hands down the best for our criteria, we forked up $1,830 to get (online) a lifetime factory warranty. Non-lifetime factory warranties are available for less.

We've had the vehicle only two months, so can't comment on how reliability will fare over time and mileage. But to date we've found one rubber hatch bumper improperly installed, which the dealer fixed in an hour, and the media center frequently losing radio presets and nav memories -- an ongoing bug that 730N owners have been suffering through for months and which hopefully will be addressed shortly with a software flash.

Bottom line, if freedom from repair is your overriding goal, then look over Asian models that have solid track records with CR and TrueDelta. But realize that against that is nearly every other variable in making a purchasing decision. It's your call.
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cville4 View Post
However, I'm worried about Jeep's reliability, particularly given the ratings from JD Power and Consumer Reports, especially when compared to Toyota.
I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo that had about the most terrible reliability rating that Consumer Reports had (almost all black circles). You know what? It was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. If I didn't wreck it playing dodge the deer last month I'd still be driving it today. I had 188,300 miles on the odometer. It only left me stranded once and that was when it was in a garage not far from my mechanic. Turned out to be a bad computer chip that was fixed in no time and was relatively cheap.

So, you really can't go by what those reports say. It's how YOU maintain it that matters. I changed the oil between 3000 and 5000 miles.

I now own a 2012 Overland Summit and I LOVE it. I can just drive that truck for hours on end. If you look in Consumer Reports it shows that the V8 (what I have) has a little less reliability than average. The V6 a tiny bit more unreliable than the V8. However, we're talking a tick-mark. The Porsche Cayanne, for example, was -83 out of -100 for reliability. As you would expect the Toyotas were well into the positive for reliability.

So, overall, drive the Jeep and see how you like it. When I was looking at cars the Mercedes E63 and the Jeep Overland Summit were on top of my list and the Overland Summit won. Couldn't beat the capability and the rear seat leg room was outstanding.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
cville4

Thanks everyone for your replies---appreciate it. I have a feeling I'm going to absolutely love the GC after a test drive this weekend which will only make the decision harder. I'm comforted by the fact that it comes with a 6/100,000 powertrain warranty but, like I said earlier, my main concern is I just can't afford to be constantly (or even sporadically) taking the car in for various repair issues, as I spend most of my days working on the road and often out of town (plus I must have an SUV...car is too small for all my work materials in case I need a loaner). Then again I know I've been a bit spoiled by my 4runners as my last two cars combined only had to be taken in for repairs twice over the past 10-12 years, both being minor, quick repairs overall.

One last question...do the new GC still come with those fortera touring tires that a lot of people seem to be complaining about? Apparently they tout the jeep as 'off-road ready' yet throw touring tires on the thing, in which customers are having to fight with the dealer to get an upgraded tire. Just curious as I'll be doing a lot of driving in the snow in mountainous areas soon.
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

To give you some back story, I've ALWAYS owned Volkswagens. Never had an issue with any of them...until my last one.
A 2006 Passat 2.0T, which had relatively high ratings. When it did want to start it was a decent car. When the temperature wasn't cold, the trunk would lock. If you didn't mind leaving it running while filling up the tank, you could leave the gas station. If you didn't want heat or especially AC, you could achieve 20-something highway mpg. I couldn't take it anymore. I bought a GC Overland, picked it up Saturday, and haven't looked back!

I always bough VW's because of my past experiences with them. But I noticed over time the VW "craftsmanship" was dwindling. The fine attention to detail was instead turned to fine attention for profits and the materials and fit and finish were less than stellar.

The Jeep on the other hand has thoroughly impressed me. Take a look at the Pentastar Video channel on Youtube and delve into the technical aspects of this car. There was such an attention to minutia and it is extremely evident in this car.

Even Bentley's (which are really VW's) have problems. Sometimes you get a lemon. I bought mine at Route 18 Jeep in East Brunswick, NJ. The staff was great and knowledgeable. I took a tour of the facilities and everything so I know when something goes wrong it'll be in good hands.
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

P.S. Take a Hemi for a test drive, and stomp the gas. You'll be looking for your checkbook on the drive back to the dealer
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
lezavw90

My wife and I are in the same boat as you are (Except we like the 4runner looks and interior, lol).

The ratings is what was scaring us. We test drove an 11 Overland V8 on the weekend (not the vehicle we'd end up with, a little to pricey for us) It was really nicely finished, felt super solid over bumps. Part of my apprehension went away with that one test drive.

Still not 100% convinced, but convinced enough that we are going back for round 2 when they get the 12's in.
lezavw90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

We are on our fourth Jeep plus a beater that my son drove his last year in high school and a couple of years in college and I love Jeeps but to be truthful they (and the dealer) can be a real pain. For some reason Jeep (and Chrysler) seem to not understand how to build vehicles without problems and I don't know if it is because of their QC procedures, worker training and/or assembly line supervision, bad parts suppliers, etc. or perhaps a combination of these and other reasons. And I think these are valid points because we have had other 4WD/AWD vehicles over the years that have been trouble free, Toyotas, Acuras, Buicks, Fords and Chevys to name a few, so I know it can be done. I swore after our last one that I would never set foot in a Jeep/Chrysler vehicle showroom again. Sure you can get an extended service contract that will cover everything but your hassle time and your worry about what will be the next problem and finding a good service dept with a good tech, etc.

But having said all that here we are again with our 2011 Overland which is a really, really nice vehicle. Drives and rides great and we love it EXCEPT: At 309 miles we had a leaking transfer case caused by a bent internal shaft which took a great tech and service advisor two weeks to diagnose and fix so I am pleased about that. At 1430 miles replaced bad GY out of round tires which I could not get dealer or GY to stand behind - also went to 18in wheels for off road use. Now at 1950 miles have problems at times with key fob not being detected so need to find time to take it in for that. There appears to be a TSB for that so I am sure it will be fixed but still it is a hassle to find the time get it done.

So It looks like we have a Jeep that could go either way at this point: it could turn into a project or it could be OK once these initial problems are taken care of. I hope it is the latter because I don't know what else to buy at this point. It is becoming very hard to find real 4WD vehicles with two speed, gear driven transfer cases. Most of the stuff is going the crossover route with friction clutch AWD which is not good for off roading. If I could just talk Acura/Honda into building a real 4WD reliable vehicle I would be a happy camper.
fmcgirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
cville4

Fmcgirt, what you just stated is my nightmare scenario that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a GC. The repairs will be covered so I'm worried about out of pocket expenses (at least until the warranty runs out), its all the time, hassle and expense involved of having to go back to the dealer multiple times for various repairs. And, unlike most, I spend 70% of my time on the road/out of town and rely on my SUV for work just about every day. I can't just drop it off to/from work like most; I'm typically hundreds of miles from home any given day of the week and often work weekends to boot.

Also, the data from truedelta, CR, JD Power, etc. doesn't look good, especially compared to the 4runner but there's no chance I'm buying another 4runner based on styling alone. Of course a local dealer, when I mentioned my reliability concerns, stated that the CG is just as reliable as the 4runner and always has been, which was laughable and makes me question his honesty for saying as such. Regardless I need to figure all this out quick and not agonize over this much longer...
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cville4 View Post
Fmcgirt, what you just stated is my nightmare scenario that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a GC. The repairs will be covered so I'm worried about out of pocket expenses (at least until the warranty runs out), its all the time, hassle and expense involved of having to go back to the dealer multiple times for various repairs. And, unlike most, I spend 70% of my time on the road/out of town and rely on my SUV for work just about every day. I can't just drop it off to/from work like most; I'm typically hundreds of miles from home any given day of the week and often work weekends to boot.

Also, the data from truedelta, CR, JD Power, etc. doesn't look good, especially compared to the 4runner but there's no chance I'm buying another 4runner based on styling alone. Of course a local dealer, when I mentioned my reliability concerns, stated that the CG is just as reliable as the 4runner and always has been, which was laughable and makes me question his honesty for saying as such. Regardless I need to figure all this out quick and not agonize over this much longer...
I understand where you are coming from and I too hate all the hassle and time wasted. I think about the best you can do is to buy an extended service contract online, perhaps at chryslerwarrantys.com, with the Maxicare option or something like that which includes almost everything and a first day car rental so you can just wait until a bunch of small things accumulate and have them all done at oil change time. With the first day car rental you are never without a car even for an oil change. Major problems are a different story and can happen with any vehicle but hopefully they are few with the 2012s, especially with the V8. You might also try having a 100% backup be written into your deal since it is necessary to your work.

One other place to check for your area to help with choosing a good dealer for service is dealerrater.com. If you find a decent rated one perhaps call the service people mentioned in the ratings and tell them your worries. As you have said some salesmen will tell you anything but techs and service advisors have been pretty straight with me.

Good luck!!
fmcgirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
oldmac1
2014 WK 

There is nothing wrong about being apprehensive for changing auto brands. My suggestion is to take a Grand Cherokee Overland for a 50 mile test drive to see the difference in auto's. If your on the road a lot the Overland will be a major surprise for you. Good luck with your decision but never sell a Jeep short without testing it for yourself.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
drballard33
2011 WK 

Owned my first jeep (09 liberty) after owning Mazda's, Mercedes, GMC, Ford, and I have been very happy. Only thing repaired was the back hatch seal. 55k miles and just put brakes and tires on it. The Ford was a nightmare, the Benz was awesome, but expensive to maintain (oil changes were every 10k miles and ranged from $150-$299)
drballard33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.