Locking Wheel Nut - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Locking Wheel Nut

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
marcl2012
2012 WK 

Thanks for all your informative messages, this is a Jeep dealership where the 12 JGC limited was purchased...it is reassuring from your posts to know that they may have a master key or used another socket...downfall is a real pro would have the same equipment to steal the wheel... on my next service I will clear this up with them and report back, rather then being too defensive. The vehicle only has 8000 miles at this point.

marcl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcl2012 View Post
downfall is a real pro would have the same equipment to steal the wheel...
Actually, you'd be lucky to have a pro with the right equipment stealing your wheels. I've seen the damage a smash and grab crook can do. A chisel and a hand sledge takes the locking nut and wheel stud off with one quick blow. I never use locking nuts anymore.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15
This begs the question, do some Jeeps come from the factory with lock nuts on the wheels? I haven't taken delivery on my '14, so I don't know if it does. My '08 didn't.
We instal them at the dealership during PDI depending on the vehicle and wheels. We don't like having our s*** stolen off our lot >_>
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #19
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour

We instal them at the dealership during PDI depending on the vehicle and wheels. We don't like having our s*** stolen off our lot >_>
Wtf you's get them stolen from the lot ? No lighting & cameras at your dealer . Could put electric fence up around the lot hahaha
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #20
LouC
2007 WK 

If a tire shop strips one of those by over torquing it, it'll make your day miserable. I had to hammer a 3/4 in socket on one to get it off. I'd never use those things again. BTW, has ChryCo finally stopped using those cheap lug nuts with the stamped steel covers that twist and fall off when over torqued. That's why I rotate my own tires.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
marcl2012
2012 WK 

Just a quick update to all...I got a short survey sent to me from the company/dealership and wrote them the story and ended up calling customer service over this as I was contacted... the reply was this; if the lock nut is not sitting on the passenger seat ahead of the service the technician uses the master to get the nut off. I was told that it's not good policy for the tech to go into the glove box...and they reassured me that this is how they do it....so I took his word for it...thanks again for your detailed replies.
marcl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
FAUEE
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
If a tire shop strips one of those by over torquing it, it'll make your day miserable. I had to hammer a 3/4 in socket on one to get it off. I'd never use those things again
And that's what most thieves that steal wheels do for locking lug nuts. The "Master key" is just a big friggin hammer.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.