Locking Wheel Nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Locking Wheel Nut

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
marcl2012
2012 WK 

Locking Wheel Nut

I brought in my 2012 JGC for its first tire rotation (including an oil change). The service clerk at the desk asked me where the lock was stored for the wheels. I told him in the glove box, so he wrote it down on the service order. When I got home I went in the glove box and noticed that the plastic lock bag containing the lock was never opened and remained sealed and tie wrapped... So before I accuse them of possibly not doing the tire rotation, is it possible that the technician has a master lock?.... /Marc.

marcl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
boyvan
2012 WK 

I would say yes they probably do. I have had one tire rotation and my dealer never even asked me for mine.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

Unlike aftermarket locking wheel nuts, I would bet that the Jeep locking nut keys are something the mechanics have available to them.
jacko15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15
Unlike aftermarket locking wheel nuts, I would bet that the Jeep locking nut keys are something the mechanics have available to them.
This
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
doz
2012 WK 

If it was at the dealer, I wouldnt worry about it as they most likely have a key. If it was a tire center, you might want to be worried.

Tire rotations are easy enough though, Id just do it yourself. Same with oil changes. I know alot of dealers provide oil changes for free, but they give you dino oil. Id never want to put that garbage in an engine of a car I just spent 30k+ on.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz
If it was at the dealer, I wouldnt worry about it as they most likely have a key. If it was a tire center, you might want to be worried.

Tire rotations are easy enough though, Id just do it yourself. Same with oil changes. I know alot of dealers provide oil changes for free, but they give you dino oil. Id never want to put that garbage in an engine of a car I just spent 30k+ on.
You get a key for them and have it in the jeep ?
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
doz
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
You get a key for them and have it in the jeep ?
What are you talking about? Did you read the thread?
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz

What are you talking about? Did you read the thread?
I have a limited with 20,s and it has no lock nut for it . They can take the nuts off with a socket don't need a lock key for it . It's only if you put lock nuts on it that they need the key . They would of used air socket to get them off
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer

I have a limited with 20,s and it has no lock nut for it . They can take the nuts off with a socket don't need a lock key for it . It's only if you put lock nuts on it that they need the key . They would of used air socket to get them off

image-2791079305.jpg

Could he put pic of his wheels please .As you can see I only have nut and no lock nut
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
jacko15
2014 WK 

This begs the question, do some Jeeps come from the factory with lock nuts on the wheels? I haven't taken delivery on my '14, so I don't know if it does. My '08 didn't.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15
This begs the question, do some Jeeps come from the factory with lock nuts on the wheels? I haven't taken delivery on my '14, so I don't know if it does. My '08 didn't.
You would think not .
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
You would think not .
I would think not also. Anyone out there have a Jeep with factory lock nuts on their wheels? If not, then I don't think the OP got his wheels rotated. By the way, a question to the OP... were your wheel locks aftermarket? Also, you haven't posted here since your initial post, are you still here?
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
doz
2012 WK 

I have the Altitude package and my wheels came with wheel locks. Just like the OP stated, it was in an OEM Jeep parts bag in the glove box. Whether it was dealer installed or factory installed Im not sure?? But the key does match the other lugnuts. I can see if I can find the build sheet and see if it says something on there. I would assume it comes from the factory and its not dealer installed as the wheels are factory but Im honestly not sure.
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Mine came with wheel locks which were dealer installed. I remember the salesman mentioning they did it to prevent wheel thefts on the lot. I know all the G Cs had them when I looked them over. Not sure about other models, as it's it a big dealer with a lot of inventory. It's likely all the higher end vehicles have them.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
FranksWK
2005 WK 

They do not come from factory with a "locking" lug nut. You can either go aftermarket or get a set from mopar for abot 44 bucks or so. The mooar ones are made by macgaurd.
FranksWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.