Lift with trailer hitch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Lift with trailer hitch?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
that-ak-guy

Lift with trailer hitch?

Does anyone know if you can install a RR lift on a vehicle equipped with a trailer package? Seeing as it comes with the auto leveling rear suspension. And if not, can you add a trailering package after the fact? Would it require a new rear bumper?

Thanks again folks!

that-ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You will have to replace the shocks with the non-leveling kind (or lengthen them - not sure if RR provides shock blocks with their kit).

There are third party trailer receivers that fit below the bumper. The OEM one requires a hole to be cut in the bumper facia and the computer to be flashed to activate the lights.
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Towing capacity with non-factory towing is also compromised relative to specifications.
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
that-ak-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
You will have to replace the shocks with the non-leveling kind (or lengthen them - not sure if RR provides shock blocks with their kit). There are third party trailer receivers that fit below the bumper. The OEM one requires a hole to be cut in the bumper facia and the computer to be flashed to activate the lights.
is cutting a hole what they do from the factory anyways? Or is it a completely different rear bumper?
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its the same bumper.
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
that-ak-guy

And you will loose roughly half the towing capacity without the rear auto level shocks?
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
toymandarrell

Ok I. Confused . I have a 2012 wk2 with the v8 and tow package. Are you saying if I add the RRO lift I need to change shocks and I can't tow? I presently tow a 21 ft travel trailer.

Anyone have more info??
toymandarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The load leveling shocks work at a specific length. By lifting you take them out of their set range and you lose the load leveling performance. Hook a trailer with a lot of tongue weight up to your lifted WK2 and the rear will sag, if it sags enough (down to its original height) the shocks will hold it from sagging more.

You can certainly tow like that if you want, don't think it hurts anything. Some may argue that the change in ride height affects vehicle dynamics and reduced load capacity/stability.. but the QL tow capacity is not derated for ORA levels.

You can fix the sag by lengthening the shock. Dunno if you will find a longer load leveling shock that fits. You could use air shocks or overloads if you find any that fits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.