Lift Gate Programmable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Lift Gate Programmable?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Gecko426

Lift Gate Programmable?

I looked through the manual but didn't see that it is possible to program the power lift gate to stop short of fully open (GC Summit). In my garage the door hardware sticks down. When I open the lift gate it tries to take over, then as I pull down to stop the motion it of course tries to close. Stop it again and it will cease trying to open or close under power, but will return to the fully open position slowly. I have to put something between the gate and open garage or it would hit it and scratch things. Is it really not possible to change this?

Gecko426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

AFAIK, there is no programability to the lift gate opening.
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I dunno about 2014, but was not programable for 2011-2013. I think I read somewhere of either adjusting the struts, or shorter struts that limit the opening. I'm sure someone will jump in here soon.
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

Does your Summit have the air suspension? If so, maybe if you set it on the lowest height, your lift gate may have room to open all the way ... ?
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Yes, park-mode with the air suspension combined with backing into the garage so the open lift gate will be in back of the garage door raising mechanism may be the best way to handle this.
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
joshmantesso13
2007 XK Commander 

i don't know if this works for jeep but on my moms gmc acadia you open the lift gate then manually lower it to where you want it then hold the button for 5 secs or till it beeps.

and when you reopen it it should stop at that position at least for gm lol
joshmantesso13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

On my Overland, and on the '12 Overland Summit we had, if you push the button on the lift gate a second time with a short delay after the first push, it goes into manual mode and you can lift it yourself. I haven't tried pushing the button on the overhead console twice to see if it works from there, it may or may not work the same as the button on the lift gate.

I'd put some foam or a rag or something on the overhead door hardware if you can. I wouldn't want to count on programming the lift gate, manual mode or anything else to prevent it from hitting.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Gecko426

Wow, that's surprising. My folk's lowly Subaru has lift height programming. The extra inch or so from the suspension wouldn't do it.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko426 View Post
Wow, that's surprising. My folk's lowly Subaru has lift height programming. The extra inch or so from the suspension wouldn't do it.
Yeah the topic has been discussed here often over the years. Seems like there is alway that 1 in 50,000 that would like the program height, others either just have quality garages or would not want to pay extra for the feature, or not want another gimmick that can break. I wouldn't trust the program, would rather rely on mechanical stops... but thats just me. My neighbor has all kinds of trouble with her programable Subaru hatch. I think they ended up disabled it somehow.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Gecko426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah the topic has been discussed here often over the years. Seems like there is alway that 1 in 50,000 that would like the program height, others either just have quality garages or would not want to pay extra for the feature, or not want another gimmick that can break. I wouldn't trust the program, would rather rely on mechanical stops... but thats just me. My neighbor has all kinds of trouble with her programable Subaru hatch. I think they ended up disabled it somehow.
Oh, I see, it's my inferior garage that is the problem. Do you get much satisfaction from making comments like that?
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

"quality" might not have been the best choice in wording, but I will say you must have a garage door that is not traditional in regard to height or construction. I have inches of clearance with our standard 7' overhead door, not the opposite like you are apparently dealing with.

To attempt to be constructive, you could look at having the tracks extended to raise the door up some. Depending on the exact type of overhead door you have, they might be able to change panels and extend tracks to raise it when it is retracted, also assuming you have clearance above it to raise it up. I'm saying all this wondering if it will be possible at all because overhead doors that are lower than normal are usually that way for a reason, usually because there isn't enough clearance above it in the first place.

You could always post some pics of the door and maybe get some ideas of how to change it, possibly....
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko426 View Post
Oh, I see, it's my inferior garage that is the problem. Do you get much satisfaction from making comments like that?
No, I just get a kick out of pulling the leg of someone that thinks the Subaru is so superior and gives the air of an arrogant "its all about me" personality. A thicker skin may be needed if you are going to be hanging around here criticizing Jeep for lacking a feature no one here wants... or cares about. Makes it hard to provide constructive suggestions other than to go get yourself a house with a garage the WK2 will fit in.
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
esimp

Oh. People actually put their Jeeps in garages?!

Silly me. For some reason I though my garage was simply a storage space for all my kids junk.....
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
pwrdbym

The responses here are quite harsh. I don't think the question is unreasonable given that just about every other vehicle with a power lift gate has this feature. There are plenty of people that would like to have this feature available. You never know when you might have to park somewhere with questionable "quality", including the OP's house I guess.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
GunninIt

For what it's worth, I would support this type of thing. I'd love to have a programmable height.

For what it's worth, my garage is normal height and normal specs, and I'd like to have this for my JGC. My wife doesn't back in to the garage. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the lift gate height such that it doesn't hit the garage door or come close.
GunninIt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.