Is this leather wear normal ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Is this leather wear normal ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
JEEP_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
The owner's manual says the leather needs no conditioning for the life of the Jeep. They recommend wiping them down with a damp cloth, unless there is a tough bit of dirt that needs some cleaning.

They have a Urethane (Plastic) coating, so whatever you put on is going on to the Urethane, not penetrating the leather.
Is that coating why it kind of feels like vinyl ? or maybe thats just the nature of capri leather

JEEP_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

I going to buy some leather products.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk1538 View Post
As I told, use grease, no chemical stuff. Moisture is not good at all. The seats loose their natural fat. Im working with leather about 20 years.Leather with enough fat in it shows no break ins. For example saddles on the horseside are well greased and will never ever show those breaks, because of the fat from the horse hairs. Maybe i should post you some pictures of an 250000 mile used leatherseat, looks like brand new. Leather is an natural product and needs some care.
That's an opinion that's dead wrong, and contradicts advice pros give. Saddle leather is much different than the stuff used in a WK2. It's a much different process. And if not aware of that... Well you don't know fine leather.

BTW, I've owned and have taken care of leather car seats off and on for about 40 years now, as well as leather wallets, jackets, cell phone cases and every manufacture.... Grease clogs pores and kills the leather, seat leather needs to breath and be kept from drying out. That's about it for best results.
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_NC View Post
Whaaaat you just contradicted everything I thought about leather. I'll have to pull the manual out.
There are several kinds of leather, different manufacturing processes makes for different care. For years now car seat leather should not be conditioned, just kept from drying out. I have a good leather care reference somewhere around here I'll try to dig up. There are a lot of wives tales out there, and bad advice.
Unread 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #20
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_NC View Post
Thanks guys - My buddy just mentioned that it may be cause the seats are vinyl ? He has an older GC and only the middle section is leather and the outsides are vinyl. I couldnt even tell the difference. Are ours like that ?
That's been pretty much the norm for some time for leather seats. Very little leather, just the 'seating surface' as they call it where your butt goes, maybe a small piece on the backrest. In current GC models it is referred to as 'leather trimmed', not sure about the SRT.
46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
David1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
The owner's manual says the leather needs no conditioning for the life of the Jeep. They recommend wiping them down with a damp cloth, unless there is a tough bit of dirt that needs some cleaning.

They have a Urethane (Plastic) coating, so whatever you put on is going on to the Urethane, not penetrating the leather.
Correct, this is clear coated leather. You do not treat it. You will break down the top coat.

I will say that this leather is crap to begin with. My overland is 6 months old and the seats are showing alot of wear. The drivers cushion is already starting to deform/sag. The leather in my BMW I got rid of that was 5 years old and 90k miles looked like new. At least the leather is better than the 2012/2013 models that I see around that are cracked all the way through.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #22
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
That's an opinion that's dead wrong, and contradicts advice pros give. Saddle leather is much different than the stuff used in a WK2. It's a much different process. And if not aware of that... Well you don't know fine leather.

BTW, I've owned and have taken care of leather car seats off and on for about 40 years now, as well as leather wallets, jackets, cell phone cases and every manufacture.... Grease clogs pores and kills the leather, seat leather needs to breath and be kept from drying out. That's about it for best results.
if grease or another chemical is used as well besides just a light wipe with water, won't it clog the pores making it difficult for the a/c seats to get air thru them as well.....?
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Auto leather conditioner it is a subject full of bad information repeated by many misinformed people. There is a lot of snake oil out there. The most important part is keeping the WK2 seats clean. Then occasionally use a damp cloth to keep the leather from drying out, as the guy in the following link prefers for his own cars.

Only use a conditioner if you don't like the way the seat looks (not shiny enough) or feels (not soft enough). Those are cosmetic issues for a few misguided souls and there is a real risk that conditioners would damage leather or softening it up so much it becomes less durable. Note that wiping the seat with distilled water will clean and moisturize the leather (the only protection WK2 seats really need) after which the leather may show fewer wrinkles and feel softer.

http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips....nditioner.html
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
if grease or another chemical is used as well besides just a light wipe with water, won't it clog the pores making it difficult for the a/c seats to get air thru them as well.....?
The seats have relatively large holes drilled in them to let air flow through. You would really have to lather grease on to clog those... but I suppose someone will do it.
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The seats have relatively large holes drilled in them to let air flow through. You would really have to lather grease on to clog those... but I suppose someone will do it.
yeah i suppose lol
Unread 05-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Automotive leather is typically finished with coatings which protect the surface from the sun's damaging rays as well making it resistant to soiling. The finishes used in automotive upholstery leather are unique much different than furniture, garment or shoe leathers. Leather is extremely resilient and easy to clean and maintain. Before cleaning leather upholstery, vacuum it to remove dust. To clean leather, simply use a clean, soft and lint-free cloth dampened with lukewarm water and mild soap. Use a gentle, circular motion do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. Wipe the leather again with another clean, slightly damp cloth to remove soap residue. Dry with a soft cloth. To maintain its resiliency, leather should be cleaned whenever it becomes soiled. Dust and dirt may harm leather if allowed to work into the finish. Never use alcohol, cleaning solvents, oils, varnishes or polishes on your leather, and avoid using the following products as they damage the finish:
  • Any household cleaning products
  • Solvents
  • Rubber cleaners
  • Vinyl cleaners
  • Plastic cleaners
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
golfercat
2014 WK 

My 14 Summit does not show the seat 'wear' that yours shows. Have had it since 7/13, over 11K miles. I wipe my leather with a damp cloth.
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #28
bobafettt
2014 WK 

Leather Master Leather Care Kit
bobafettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #29
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I dunno but I don't recall any reports of ripped or worn out leather here. It is real leather, but feels softer than some others so, depending on your POV, its cheap or its better. The Overland/summit leather is suppose to be better than Limiteds but not by much.
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #30
David1
2014 WK 

My overlands leather can't be much better than a limited. Now it is starting to stretch and loose it shape where the bottom of my legs go towards the front of the seat. It is stretching because the material underneath is breaking down/compressing to the point where it has to stress the leather in the middle.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.