Is this leather wear normal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Is this leather wear normal ?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
JEEP_NC

Is this leather wear normal ?

Hi all -

Just bought a new Grand Cherokee limited about one week ago. I noticed today that the leather looked a little worn already. Never seen this so quick on leather. I do have Lexol but have not applied it yet since I just got the car! Is the leather in these that bad ? I always had leather and havent experienced this until a few years in.

[IMG][/IMG]

JEEP_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
rk1538
2014 WK 

Use some leather care products, specially fatty ones. Seen this often in newer cars. The leather is getting to dry in the production process. Get it some extra care
rk1538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
JEEP_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk1538 View Post
Use some leather care products, specially fatty ones. Seen this often in newer cars. The leather is getting to dry in the production process. Get it some extra care
Any experience with the best product for this leather ? I always used lexol but I can switch if there is something better for this particular leather.
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
46er
2014 WK 

I use these leather products on my '70 Jag. Will be using them on our new GC Ltd.

http://www.leatherique.com/
46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
rk1538
2014 WK 

Use some leather grease. The leather gets the fat back, just like its back on the animal. 1. grease it until it can`t absorbe any more. 2. Whats not absorbed should be wiped of. Do this every 6 months.
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
rk1538
2014 WK 

You don´t need special products. Its just about the fat in the leather grease
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
rk1538
2014 WK 

If available in the US, use saddlegrease.
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
JEEP_NC

Thanks guys - My buddy just mentioned that it may be cause the seats are vinyl ? He has an older GC and only the middle section is leather and the outsides are vinyl. I couldnt even tell the difference. Are ours like that ?
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
mx71
2013 WK 

I have the altitude with the lower quality leather and mine did that too. It reached a settling point and has since remained where it is.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
rk1538
2014 WK 

Nothing about Vynil in the description. Should be leather, correct me if I`m wrong
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
JEEP_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk1538 View Post
Nothing about Vynil in the description. Should be leather, correct me if I`m wrong
I think he is wrong. All the 2014 limited have leather, its standard. I guess they could remove it and put some other type of seats in, but on my window sticker there is no removal of things only additions....although it does say leather 'trimmed' seats.
Unread 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Whoa... never ever use any leather conditioner product on these seats, thats a good way to ruin them. Use the pro detailer's technique of wiping down with damp cloth occasionally to add moisture, clean when needed with a very mild soap. See your owners manual. Leather is a natural skin and can dry out, but you must keep the pores open or its dead and will eventually crack or soften up (becomes easy to damage).

The photo in the OP's post is not showing wear, that is normal break in. These seats will get character wrinkles over time... its leather.... If you abuse the seats when getting in and out you could wear or damage them, however.
Unread 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
JEEP_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Whoa... never ever use any leather conditioner product on these seats, thats a good way to ruin them. Use the pro detailer's technique of wiping down with damp cloth occasionally to add moisture, clean when needed with a very mild soap. See your owners manual. Leather is a natural skin and can dry out, but you must keep the pores open or its dead and will eventually crack or soften up (becomes easy to damage).

The photo in the OP's post is not showing wear, that is normal break in. These seats will get character wrinkles over time... its leather.... If you abuse the seats when getting in and out you could wear or damage them, however.
Whaaaat you just contradicted everything I thought about leather. I'll have to pull the manual out.
Unread 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
rk1538
2014 WK 

As I told, use grease, no chemical stuff. Moisture is not good at all. The seats loose their natural fat. I´m working with leather about 20 years.Leather with enough fat in it shows no break ins. For example saddles on the horseside are well greased and will never ever show those breaks, because of the fat from the horse hairs. Maybe i should post you some pictures of an 250000 mile used leatherseat, looks like brand new. Leather is an natural product and needs some care.
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
jacko15
2014 WK 

The owner's manual says the leather needs no conditioning for the life of the Jeep. They recommend wiping them down with a damp cloth, unless there is a tough bit of dirt that needs some cleaning.

They have a Urethane (Plastic) coating, so whatever you put on is going on to the Urethane, not penetrating the leather.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.