Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
JoeSchmoe007

Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions

Today I took delivery of Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I + 430N Nav + Towing package.

Short version: I am completely satisfied, V6 is perfectly fine. There is not a thing that is not working right or broken (so far).

Long version:

Keep in mind I am coming from '98 ZJ (Ltd 4x4 with 5.2L V8). So a lot of things you may be familiar with are completely new to me.

The thing I like the most is ride quality, especially on highway - great improvement from ZJ (ZJ got significantly more noisy at >50 MPH + there was a vibration coming from the rear end). It is smooth and quiet, small bumps on the road are not even felt. Larger bumps are felt but very subdued. However it doesn't have that "floating" feeling, connection with road is good and steering is responsive.

V6 is really quiet. When you step on the gas it revs up fast and responds without a lag. Even then it is not really loud and I like that. I only drove for several hours, 1 on highway but I didn't feel at all that engine was lacking power or acceleration when it was asked for.

This all causes unexpected problem that I was speeding several times without even noticing. Really have to watch odometer until I get used to it. It is convenient that you can output speed on EVIC.

430N works great. Speech recognition is excellent for radio and CD playback - you say "Elvis radio" and Elvis is in the building! It just doesn't get any better than that!!! I did get lost trying to get from Westbury Jeep to Wantagh Parkway though - after following Jill's directions for 10 minutes and just going in circles I had to stop and ask someone.

User interface on 430N radio (not Nav) can be better - they could've used different colors more. It seems that designer was only allowed to use the shades of blue. Also controls could be separated more on the screen.

Audio system IMO is of great quality. Steering wheel audio controls are similar to ZJ and work well.

Seats are comfortable.

The only thing that was wrong was that label on the side of driver door that has all vehicle information was loose - I had to press it to get it to stick again.

Vehicle overall has great feeling. Well designed, pieces fit together without large gaps. Dash material is of great quality, even though it's not leather. A lot of attention to small details (probably Daimler influence).

Minor design issues (also reported by other users here):

1) Sunglass holder is partially reflected in rear view mirror
2) "Chrome" trim around AC vents reflects in outside mirror.

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE! Even though main EVIC menu said "OK" detailed screen showed pressure to be 37-38, and it is supposed to be 33 (if I recall correctly). This was also mentioned by another owner, this is why I checked it. I will deflate tomorrow and this may improve ride quality even more

One thing I miss: outside mirrors tilting down when in reverse - I thought it was standard or comes with X package. Can anyone clarify that? It would be helpful for parallel parking.

I am still learning all the features. I may do more detailed reviews later.

JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
JerseyOverland

About the mirrors tilting in reverse, I dont know what packages come with this, but my overland had this and it is disabled by default. I played around in the EVIC and found settings that tilt the mirrors down when in reverse. Take a look, it might be buried in a menu in the EVIC somewhere
JerseyOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyOverland View Post
About the mirrors tilting in reverse, I dont know what packages come with this, but my overland had this and it is disabled by default. I played around in the EVIC and found settings that tilt the mirrors down when in reverse. Take a look, it might be buried in a menu in the EVIC somewhere
Apparently this is only on Limited or Overland. It is not in EVIC menu on my Laredo X
Unread 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
diegom6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Apparently this is only on Limited or Overland. It is not in EVIC menu on my Laredo X

and besides that, does your WK2's tilt back the whole mirror case (for parking in tight places) Ours got this system, but I'm curious if the US market got this option or is std. for all the markets.
- ARB Lockers
-Dana30 -Dana44 Rear
- AX15
diegom6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegom6 View Post
and besides that, does your WK2's tilt back the whole mirror case (for parking in tight places) Ours got this system, but I'm curious if the US market got this option or is std. for all the markets.
Yes, mirror housing folds but it is manual on all trims.
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
diegom6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Yes, mirror housing folds but it is manual on all trims.

You right, fold not tilt! My bad. Ok, thanks. I see is different then, well ours are electric operated from inside with just pushing a little buttom instead of manually for both. That was my curious.
- ARB Lockers
-Dana30 -Dana44 Rear
- AX15
diegom6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.