Keyless Enter-N-Go detection issues (2014) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Keyless Enter-N-Go detection issues (2014)

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 11-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
tuq
2014 WK 

Keyless Enter-N-Go detection issues (2014)

First off, been lurking the forums for quite awhile but haven't had a reason compelling enough to reg until now. So, thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Anyway, couldn't find a thread in this forum discussing this. I had a 2013 GC (Laredo, although I doubt trim level matters) and it was my first experience with the Keyless Enter-N-Go. It always worked perfectly - the joy of the first time it honked at me after accidentally locking in my keys! It had pretty much 100% detection accuracy w/r/t locking and unlocking.

Due to me being bad with money I ended up trading it in for a 2014 (Limited) a few months ago. Well...the detection seems to be less accurate. Somewhat often I'll be outside of the vehicle and it will auto-unlock thinking the keys are still inside. Other times I'll grab onto the door handle with keys in pocket and it won't unlock, seemingly because my phone is blocking the signal - again, never a problem with the 2013.

I even managed to lock my keys in the Jeep recently. Opened the trunk remotely, threw my gym bag in the back, shut the door. However, unlocking the trunk with the remote doesn't also unlock the doors, and the key fob was somehow not detected within the vehicle - presumably the signal was been blocked by something else. While I appreciate that I could have used the app to unlock the doors - although my phone was also locked in so would have needed a computer to do it - presumably this is nonetheless something which shouldn't happen.

Is anyone else experiencing this and is it a model year issue, a trim issue, or something else? fwiw after the locked out debacle I switched to the other fob and it exhibits the same issues.

tl;dr - 2014 key fob not as accurate or easily detected as 2013 key fob.

Thanks.

tuq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Maybe your fob batteries are weak.....

My 11/6/13 build Summit keyless/passive worked perfectly until the 4 click to open tailgate and a couple other odd behaviors like not linking to seat memory, etc.... I had it in for a couple small things and they said fob batteries were weak (did they test or guess??) and they said they replaced them. Tailgate now opens on 2 clicks and other issues are gone, however, the passive entry is now completely INOP and every time you get in it says "Service Keyless System". It's in for the two latest recalls now and they have no idea what's going on with the keyless/passive...aren't gremlins fun!
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I often have to press 4 times to get the tailgate to open as well. For me it seems to be if the Jeep is locked, 4 times is required, unlocked only requires two presses.
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
I often have to press 4 times to get the tailgate to open as well. For me it seems to be if the Jeep is locked, 4 times is required, unlocked only requires two presses.
Mine was actually 2 if running, 4 if off...no real biggie but I open it like 5 times a day with the dog so it got annoying but not as annoying as not having any passive entry. I hate having to dig the fob out of my pocket now. Hope they figure it out this service visit.
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
Mine has needed the 4 click to open the liftgate since it was 1 week old. The vehicle is now 20 months old and Chrysler still can't figure out what is wrong with it. I've even sent my dealer a couple of videos of the problem who relayed it to Chryslers STAR team and they don't know how to proceed.

Pretty sad for a $50K vehicle. And they try to market the Summit toward the luxury market.
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
tuq
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Maybe your fob batteries are weak.....

My 11/6/13 build Summit keyless/passive worked perfectly until the 4 click to open tailgate and a couple other odd behaviors like not linking to seat memory, etc.... I had it in for a couple small things and they said fob batteries were weak (did they test or guess??) and they said they replaced them. Tailgate now opens on 2 clicks and other issues are gone, however, the passive entry is now completely INOP and every time you get in it says "Service Keyless System". It's in for the two latest recalls now and they have no idea what's going on with the keyless/passive...aren't gremlins fun!
Thanks for the feedback, and please excuse the delay.

It's certainly something to consider - particularly as I have absolutely no ideas otherwise - although I wouldn't have imagined weak batteries would be possible on a new key fob (well, both fobs evidently).
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Thanks for the feedback, and please excuse the delay.

It's certainly something to consider - particularly as I have absolutely no ideas otherwise - although I wouldn't have imagined weak batteries would be possible on a new key fob (well, both fobs evidently).
I hear ya on the batteries and while I agree they should b fine only 11 months into ownership I bet they sourced some low end batteries, maybe not tho since there isn't any real squawk on this online.
Unread 11-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
i20sailor
2014 WK 

I think there is 2 separate issues here.
1.- Closing the trunk with the fob in the car will not unlock the doors if they are locked. This is not a fob issue. I had the same problem with my Ford Edge and I learned to really like the key pad on the door. Fortunately the Jeep will unlock the doors when opening the hatch via the release button (haven't tried using the fob). The Ford would not do this so it was real easy to end up with the fob in the back and all doors locked.

2.- Everything else is a problem. I have noticed that there seems to be a difference in reception quality depending on the position of the vehicle relative to my position.
i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Any time you have issues related to the FOBIK the first step should be to put in a new battery. Even if that turns out to not be the problem, you spent a couple of dollars to rule out the most likely culprit. You certainly don't want to assume batteries in the FOBIK for a new vehicle are fresh.

I have never had an issue with mine.

As a side note, I keep a spare key in a magnetic box stuck to the outside of the vehicle in an inconspicuous location. It won't start the vehicle since it is just a cut key and not a FOBIK, but if I ever lock my FOBIK in the vehicle I can use the spare to gain entry. You can get a key cut at Lowes or Home Depot (or anyplace else that cuts keys) for a couple of dollars. The blank is ILCO Y159, or Axxess #19.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

I locked my keys in the cargo area about a month ago after grocery shopping. Open the lift gate via the remote, threw all my groceries in the cargo are and closed the lift gate - not realizing I left the keys next to all the groceries. I assumed that the Jeep would unlock itself, however, I was wrong. The only good thing was being able to unlock the jeep using the uConnect App.
Unread 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
DAlessandro

I do have an issue with this which is extremely annoying if i have my hands full and can't reach in to my pocket.
I do know the cause tho, the thing gets shifted around in my pocket and is hidden behind my 2 phones. For me, it's just a behavioural issue rather than defect.
DAlessandro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
acidsnow
2014 WK 

mine unlocks great when I grab the door handle, but the problem I have is when pushing the button on the handle to lock, sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to lock. (yes I make sure my hand is not on handle, and the key is always in the same pocket (distance from door))
acidsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some early models had poorly routed or defective detection antennas (under the carpet behind the rear seats). Perhaps this antenna issue has returned. Dunno off hand, but there were several threads discussing the antenna thing awhile ago.
Unread 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidsnow View Post
mine unlocks great when I grab the door handle, but the problem I have is when pushing the button on the handle to lock, sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to lock. (yes I make sure my hand is not on handle, and the key is always in the same pocket (distance from door))
I have the exact same issue, and since mine was new.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
acidsnow
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
I have the exact same issue, and since mine was new.
I just found another thread here that documents others having the same issue, and they said there was a "2 second" waiting period after closing your door to be able to lock it . . . I'm will test and report back . . . can anybody else confirm this?
acidsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.