Key Fob Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Key Fob Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
ChrisJS
2012 WK 

Cool Key Fob Problem

Hopefully this will help others.
Today my 2012 JGC refused to recognize my key fob (display indicated "damaged Key fob") when I was 40 miles from home. No previous occurrence or indication of fault. Local Jeep dealer advised removing the pull out rubber starter push button and inserting the key fob directly. Solved the problem so that I was able to drive home. Once on my driveway, I tried replacing the rubber push button. Lo and behold the vehicle started right up with just a push of the button!! I guess it was the same type of mind fart that requires rebooting your computer!!

ChrisJS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJS View Post
Hopefully this will help others.
Today my 2012 JGC refused to recognize my key fob (display indicated "damaged Key fob") when I was 40 miles from home. No previous occurrence or indication of fault. Local Jeep dealer advised removing the pull out rubber starter push button and inserting the key fob directly. Solved the problem so that I was able to drive home. Once on my driveway, I tried replacing the rubber push button. Lo and behold the vehicle started right up with just a push of the button!! I guess it was the same type of mind fart that requires rebooting your computer!!
My dad's WK2 laredo had a ton of problems with recognizing the key fob. It would unlock but not recognize the proximity of the key to start. Solved the problem the same way you did: removed the button and inserted the key. He took his to the dealership and complained. They said that key fob has two frequencies: unlock/lock and startup. They told him they 'flashed' his fob and vehicle to make sure they were on the right frequencies and it solved the issue. Not sure if this was a traditional flash (software download) or something else. Don't know if it will work on yours, just my experience. Had no problems with my Laredo X.
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Good info to know....thanks. I believe the pushbutton in the '14 G C is fixed in place. Makes me wonder how owners would handle that same situation if the key fob acted up.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
Good info to know....thanks. I believe the pushbutton in the '14 G C is fixed in place. Makes me wonder how owners would handle that same situation if the key fob acted up.
Yeah that would be seriously problematic if you encountered these issues. Maybe they're hoping to get their dealers a tow charge and service on an otherwise easy fix.

I didn't know the buttons popped out on mine or my dad's until we encountered the problem and I consulted the owner's manual.

It's little things like this that some times make wish I had gotten a JKU. Jeep seems to be trending more towards competition in the luxury category with the WK line and sacrificing a little more function every time. I just hope they can stay true to their brand. It would be shame if WK3s or 4s were just Lexus' with 'Jeep' on the hood. I love the luxury in my Laredo X, but it's about as luxurious as a Jeep needs to ever get. Just my opinion.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
The '14 JGC has a passive RFID transmitter in the fob. You can google how that works, and read the owners manual to see how it functions in the '14 JGC. Needless to say, it's a lot better than pulling parts off your dash to get your car started.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
JeepCares

From the 2014 Grand Cherokee Owner Manual:

A WORD ABOUT YOUR KEYS
Your vehicle uses a keyless ignition system. This system
consists of a Key Fob with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
transmitter and a Keyless Ignition Node (KIN).
Keyless Enter-N-Go™ Feature
This vehicle is equipped with the Keyless Enter-N-Go™
feature, (refer to Keyless Enter-N-Go™ in Things To
Know Before Starting Your Vehicle for further information).
Keyless Ignition Node (KIN)
This feature allows the driver to operate the ignition
switch with the push of a button, as long as the Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is in the passenger
compartment.
The Keyless Ignition Node (KIN) has four operating
positions, three of which are labeled and will illuminate
when in position. The three positions are OFF, ACC, and
ON/RUN. The fourth position is START, during start
RUN will illuminate.
NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with
the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may
have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up
method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put
the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the
Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and
push to operate the ignition switch.

Key Fob
The Key Fob also contains the Remote Keyless Entry
(RKE) transmitter and an emergency key, which stores in
the rear of the Key Fob.
The emergency key allows for entry into the vehicle
should the battery in the vehicle or the Key Fob go dead.
The emergency key is also for locking the glove box. You
can keep the emergency key with you when valet parking.
To remove the emergency key, slide the mechanical latch
on the back of the Key Fob sideways with your thumb
and then pull the key out with your other hand.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
azjack
2011 WK 

At 43,000 miles, half towing about 3800#, I'm very happy with the performance of the Grand Cherokee. So far one door latch pin broke at 8000 miles and that's it for warranty work, just fresh mobil 1 at 5000 or less and two trans oil changes due to the towing. The remote for the doors occasionally need an extra button pushed but a new fresh battery has taken care of that although the dealer may have updated the computer the two or three times they have seen the vehicle. The hemi engine has been great on gas mileage, 16 to 17 around town and 21 to 22 on the highway not towing but driving at 75 to 80. When towing the wind makes the largest variation in the mileage, anywhere from 13 to 17 at 60 to 75 mph, depending on the state speed limits. At 30,000 miles I tried to trade for an identical one but the dealer wouldn't go for my offer so I put new tires on and bought extended coverage. A very good vehicle for us and 3 feet shorter than my Ford super crew. We even went to Fiat for a new around town car to replace my wifes 1967 VW. I still read the forums to check on any potential problems and thanks to everyone for participating.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.