Just put a deposit on a 2012 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Just put a deposit on a 2012 Overland

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
TheDon427

Just put a deposit on a 2012 Overland

Hey everyone, I just put a deposit on a 2012 Overland with the V8 in black with saddle brown interior. It's got the tow package, upgraded audio, and some other bells and whistles.

I've been reading up on the WK2 for weeks and was dead set on getting the V6. The slightly better gas mileage and less maintenance looked great on paper. However, I test drove a 2013 this week with the V6 and was disappointed. It left me feeling like all the wind was taken out of my sails and I went home second guessing buying a Grand Cherokee altogether. It felt like any other vehicle out there with leather and navigation. It didn't feel like a $40,000 vehicle or even a $30,000 vehicle. The next day, I saw that a local Jeep dealer just got in a 2012 Overland in the exact int/ext color I wanted but it had the hemi. I wasn't going to schedule a test drive at first but figured "what the hell" I can just take it for a drive. Well, I fell in love with it. As soon as I pulled out of the dealer lot I asked the salesman if I could punch the gas real quick just to see the pickup. As soon I floored the gas, it sent all 3 of us back in our seats and I was smiling for the rest of the test drive. It was exactly what I was looking for in an Overland.

It comes with the extended 100k b2b warranty so that should cover any hiccups the hemi may have.

I'm a car guy. I had 3 XJ's in the past before switching over to Subaru and had a WRX and a Legacy GT Spec.B which should be sold and picked up this week. I've always wanted to get back in a Jeep and these WK2's are gorgeous, so I made the jump. I plan on doing my own oil changes, plug changes and other basic maintenance. Maybe an exhaust, engine management, wheels/tires, etc.

My wife goes to check it out with me again today since she wasn't able to see it yesterday. Once she gives the green light, I sign the papers.

I didn't have much time to play with the navigation yesterday, but I remember that it looked much nicer than the one I test drove the other day. The salesman told me the model but I forgot what it was. He said he likes this version better because in the other version it constantly redirects you if there's traffic and there's no way to turn that off and can become extremely annoying when sitting in traffic.

While I'm still reading up and doing my homework on the WK2, especially the hemi, I'd appreciate if you could give me some specific things to look for. Not just for long term ownership but even for today when I go to look at it again. It had a few scratches on the corner of the bumpers and a small ding on the hood (acorn? hail?) but that's it. It's got 28k miles on it, tires should last me into next year, brakes were supposedly checked, etc. and they agreed to sell it for $33,400 with 100k warranty and not repair the scuffs on the bumper, or add $500 to fix the scuffs. I'm going to try and push them to give it to me for that price and include repairing the scuffs when I go back tonight.

TheDon427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The chrome trim could have some staining, if that bothers you. You can't fix that. There were two audio packages, the base 430N and optional 730N. Most here prefer the garmin based 430N. You can turn traffic rerouting off in either model, or just don't subscribe (part of Sirius satellite where there is a subscription fee.) The 730N has dead reckoning which is helpful if you ride in a lot of tunnels.

Check daytime driving lights for reflector deformity.

You test drove in which should have picked up any vibration or rattles. Did you run it through all the QL modes?

These have been solid Jeeps, most folks visit the forum to complain or discuss a problem, and you may get the wrong impression during your research that these are troublesome vehicles. Nothing unusual to check, just the usual things you do when looking at a used vehicle.
Unread 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
TheDon427

Thank you, ColdCase. I plan on thoroughly testing everything from seat warmers/ventilation to QL when I go back tonight. I'll have to check on the DRL's for deformity. Will it be obvious or should I specifically know what to look for?

The vehicle comes with the 430N. I remember the number he threw out started with a 4 so that's gotta be it.

I've been on forums for over 10 years so I'm familiar with the atmosphere and the types of posts to expect. I did notice that it seems like many people prefer the V6 or the V8 and mention reliability and how the hemi is "problematic" for some. That's what made me push for them to include the 100k mile b2b warranty with it.
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Look through the front glass/plastic and look above the bulb at the reflector for discoloration (bulb with the jeep thingy in front). If you see that, there is a chance the bulb socket is also melted. Normally a warranty repair, dunno in your case.

I think the V8 has fewer problems but costs much more to maintain (16 spark plugs every 30,000 miles, a couple hours labor ~$300). The V8s been around for a long time. The V6 relatively new, some V6s of that era have had head issues.
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon427 View Post
Thank you, ColdCase. I plan on thoroughly testing everything from seat warmers/ventilation to QL when I go back tonight. I'll have to check on the DRL's for deformity. Will it be obvious or should I specifically know what to look for?

The vehicle comes with the 430N. I remember the number he threw out started with a 4 so that's gotta be it.

I've been on forums for over 10 years so I'm familiar with the atmosphere and the types of posts to expect. I did notice that it seems like many people prefer the V6 or the V8 and mention reliability and how the hemi is "problematic" for some. That's what made me push for them to include the 100k mile b2b warranty with it.

Great choice, the V8 did it for me too.
But both platforms are great.

I've owned mine for 2 years now, zero reliability issues.

When you bring the wife on your second test drive, please,please take the truck to a parking lot and drive it over uneven roads at low speeds.
Also take the vehicle on the highway ,set your cruise at 60 to 70 mph on level surface for a mile or so.
Listen for abnormal sounds.

If the truck performs to your liking after these test, you`ll live happy ever after .

Please add photos after you pick it up.
LibGrandCher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
TheDon427

The wife approved of the Jeep! We also got them to go even lower on the price and include 3 years of oil changes. I should have it in my posession by Monday or Tuesday.
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
nyrhockey23

Can we have the wives join the board so we can actually talk to the man of the house?

BTW, nice deal on that Overland.
nyrhockey23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
TheDon427

Unread 10-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
TheDon427

I practically had to twist her arm to get her to come look at it. She was okay with the purchase from the get go, but I told her I'd feel better about it if she at least saw the thing before I signed the papers instead of me just pulling into the driveway with my new ~$35k purchase that happens to have a hemi in it. :lol:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.