Just bought a 2012 Overland Summit - a few thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Just bought a 2012 Overland Summit - a few thoughts

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 12-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
shudog
2012 WK 

Just bought a 2012 Overland Summit - a few thoughts

Traded in my 06 Grand Cherokee. Had been looking at the '11 or '12 Grand Cherokees & finally found this one, got a good number on my trade & did the deal.

This thing is loaded to the max, brilliant black with saddle leather.

Hemi: it's quiet! I popped the hood in the dealer lot while it was idling & could barely hear it. The cylinder deactivation is pretty good, I can detect the vibration slightly when cruising at highway speed, little different hum than when it's not in ECO mode. Aside from that, it's not as powerful as I expected. My 2006 had the 4.7L V8 which I thought was a complete dog, this Hemi doesn't feel a ton faster. I realize the WK2 is a bigger vehicle, but I expected something a little swifter. I can't imagine how slow the V6 is. I had to drive about 100 mph to get this thing, all highway and the mpg was actually about 2 mpg better in the new Hemi-powered Jeep than my 4.7L

Interior: new interior is beautiful. I love the materials, the stitching, the control layouts & feel. The touch screen is easy to use when you need it but after I had all the presets done for the radio, I was able to most everything I wanted with the steering wheel controls. I didn't use the Uconnect system yet, but I will. Stereo volume could go louder, but the quality of the sound is really good, full range, nice adjustability. Seats are great, roomy, supportive, nice thick leather. Seems like my old seat heaters worked better, not sure. It was cold today and my 06 seat heaters would roast you out after 15 mins. I barely noticed this new one had them turned on.

Exterior. The wheels are high polish. Not sure what product I'll need to use to clean these up but is there a protective clear coat? I can't imagine they are bare... I'll try some aluminum polish & see what happens. Really want to keep them looking nice. There IS some rust/corrosion on 2 of the wheels right by the center cap. What does everyone do about that?

Random stuff -

What do you all do with your key? Keep it in your pocket?

Are there tow hooks on the exterior of this vehicle? I didn't seen any on the front...

If I set the "selectrac" to "Sport", the traction control light comes on. Is that normal? Is there any real reason to use this over the default "Auto" setting? Is there any way to override the default setting?

The giant sunroof is awesome. I can't get over how cool it is. Can't wait for warm weather.

The blind spot warning in the side mirrors is helpful. Used it quite a bit already.

I wish there was a setting for how far you want the rear tailgate to go up. My wife's GMC Terrain has this & it's very handy for not letting the tailgate smash into the garage door.

I'm sure I'll come up with more stuff but that's it for now.

shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudog View Post

What do you all do with your key? Keep it in your pocket?

Are there tow hooks on the exterior of this vehicle? I didn't seen any on the front...

If I set the "selectrac" to "Sport", the traction control light comes on. Is that normal? Is there any real reason to use this over the default "Auto" setting? Is there any way to override the default setting?
Welcome, I drove a Y2000 WJ for over ten years before handing it down.

You need to keep the key in your pocket for the touch door lock/unlock to work right. Be careful with anything else in the pocket that may press a button, or tight jeans. You may find it seem to start on its own sometime.

Tow hooks only come with the ORA2 option package. Same as the skid plates. You can buy them and install yourself, but the tow hooks are a bit of a PITA. If you have a trailer hitch, you won't have rear tow hooks.

In the sport mode, the traction control is partially turned off and the light reminds you (so you can impress the teenagers down at the dairy-queen by squealing the tires). The front is also lowered a bit for better handling and the transmission uses a slightly more aggressive shift programing. The transfercase is set to bias power to the rear giving you a more rear wheel drive feel.

There is no way to set the default, always starts out in normal.
towhooks.jpg

Unread 12-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Raptor

I also have a 2012 Brilliant Black Overland Summit w/saddle interior.
Like it a lot!

All 2012 Summit builds were slated to come with chrome front tow hooks but some of the early builds didn't due to a supply problem.

When was yours built?

I recommend you apply a good quality wax to the polished aluminum wheels. They do have a protective clear coat applied to them from the factory.

Diablosport has a tuner w/software that will really wake up the 5.7L Hemi. Improved shift points and tranny function make a big seat of the pants difference. Contact Sean at hemifevertuning.com if you go that route.

Did you try the adaptive cruise control yet? I find it awesome!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
shudog
2012 WK 

mine has a build date of Dec '11, so that's why no tow hooks dammit.

I'm definitely going to do the hemifever tuning, I was reading & posting quite a bit in the hemifever thread months ago and that tuning option is what drove me to get a Hemi powered WK2.

I haven't messed with the adaptive cruise yet. Frankly, I don't trust it yet but I will on a long trip I'm sure. I spent 30 mins setting all my radio presets, then I hit "1" on the seat memory & they all went away.

Need to spend a little time today on sync'ng my phone with the truck & getting familiar with the U-connect features
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Your radio preset may have been set into position 2.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.