JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   JGC vs Cayenne in Snow!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/jgc-vs-cayenne-snow-1299890/)

AIB 12-10-2011 11:44 PM

JGC vs Cayenne in Snow!!

My JGC Limited made me proud this weekend... Went on a trip to the mountains where it's snowing heavily. We we're two cars, my JGC and a 2012 Porsche Cayenne S... So we get to a very inclined road which leads to the restaurant we're going to have lunch in and the roads are plush with soft snow. The Cayenne goes first and cant even make it one meter up the road, wheels spinning and all!!! After 15 minutes of trying the Cayenne calls it quits and I put my JGC in snow mode my beast just rolls up the hill, zero wheel spin, zero drama! It was so easy for me and I have never done any off roading or driven on snow before (and I have the stock 18 inch tires on)... After making it up the hill i went back down and picked up the passengers in the Cayenne to get them safely to our destination.

Made me super proud to be a Jeep owner!!!

2011WK2overland 12-11-2011 04:40 AM

Maybe the best post I have read today!!
Now I just have to find some snow.

DGatzby1 12-11-2011 06:35 AM

You are right . The sales team at Jeep has a training video of a JGC and several other sport utility vehicles accelerating on very slick roads. You can guess the JGC goes straight and quick. The rest of the field looks wimpy and in some cases out of control trying it.

rmillnj 12-11-2011 08:37 AM

A Cayenne S is often delivered with high performance summer tires and regardless of what kind of four wheel drive system you have, you will have no traction in snow. What kind of tires were on your friend's Cayenne?

wiggle_puppy 12-11-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmillnj (Post 12655523)
A Cayenne S is often delivered with high performance summer tires and regardless of what kind of four wheel drive system you have, you will have no traction in snow. What kind of tires were on your friend's Cayenne?

Exactly. A front wheel drive econobox would probably have made it had it been equipped with proper snow tires.

rmillnj 12-11-2011 11:37 AM

What is really scary is how many people buy high end performance cars and don't even know they have summer tires that are just rolling marbles in temps below 40. The problem has been made worse now because you can now get AWD on the high end performance cars and then they also make high performance SUV's. Too many people think the AWD solves all of their winter driving problems.

To maximize traction put on dedicated winter tires and you will see significant improvements over the all season mud and snows our jeeps come with.

superserialMBP 12-11-2011 11:51 AM

What are the stock 18" tires you had for your ice hill climb? The Michelin Latitude Tours?

2MchFun 12-11-2011 03:19 PM

The Cayenne is not much fun off road. They are meant for staying on pavement.
Tires might have a lot to do with it overall, but the Cayenne's suspension also bounces like crazy on dirt/gravel roads.

ljvb 12-11-2011 04:17 PM

Top Gear did a piece on the Cayenne. Fitted with the correct tires, it handles extremely well in mud, grass, dirt and sand (since they had no snow at the location of the time of filming, there is no snow trials).

However, as others have said, they are generally delivered with Summer Tires, or High Performance all seasons, which work okay in light snow or slush, are not suitable in heavy deep snow.

superserialMBP 12-11-2011 04:33 PM

A Cayenne is basically a sports car with high cargo space and more ground clearance than anything else in its realm. I don't think Porsche even tries to entertain the notion that a Cayenne is a good vehicle for snow/ice conditions.

jgc4ever 12-11-2011 04:45 PM

I wonder how the Cayenne would do in deep snow with decent tires and with the optional locking differential.

peckmv 12-11-2011 05:24 PM

The stock 18" tires on the JGC are not snow tires. They are basically highway radial tires that are rated for mud/snow. I believe this comparison has more to do with the 4x4 system than the tires.:cool:

ljvb 12-11-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superserialMBP (Post 12657785)
A Cayenne is basically a sports car with high cargo space and more ground clearance than anything else in its realm. I don't think Porsche even tries to entertain the notion that a Cayenne is a good vehicle for snow/ice conditions.

This Cayenne would beg to differ ... :)

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/13...y+air_jump.jpg

rmillnj 12-11-2011 06:41 PM

I have owned lots of Jeeps and a bunch of Porsches and Audis. For winter the German cars all got dedicated winter tires while the Jeeps made do with whatever all season tire they came with. As long as the snow doesn't get too deep, a car with a set of Blizzaks actually gets better traction on ice and snow than a Jeep with all seasons. The softer compound rubber makes a big difference. Of course when it comes time to blast through deep drifts, the Jeeps take over.

And before anyone takes too great exception, please remember I am only talking about snow and ice on paved roads. Off road is something else entirely.

piraterig 12-11-2011 06:45 PM

PICS!!!!!!!!we love pics

The time now is 03:04 PM.