Jeep's Extended Warranty - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep's Extended Warranty

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #61
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiK View Post
I'm new at this warranty thing, so please forgive my ignorant question. When you buy an extended warranty for your new Jeep (mine is a 2014), does the warranty begin after the original warranty expires? And if so, do you get a better price if you buy early, as opposed to waiting until the original warranty is about to expire? Thanks.
jacko15 and Bullheadbud....could have sworn all the official chrysler warranties begin on the original in service date and not upon expiration of basic warranty. So, if you buy a 6/100 at month 35.99 with 35,999 miles you only have 3 more years OR 64,000 miles of additional warranty (technically service contract) remaining....am I wrong?

14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #62
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Extended warranty is just that, extends original factory warranty beyond to whatever your choice that you buy for items covered in the contract only. Have used mine on vehicles owned in the past and depending on the failure, can pay for itself very quickly. Also makes selling your car easier if transferrable. Just my opinion but not for everyone.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #63
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

These contracts are not "extended warranties". They are extended service contracts--which is why there are deductibles. They are effective on the date the vehicle went in-service (was purchased). While their primary benefits don't kick in until the original warranty expires, some benefits, such as the rental/loaner do kick in right away.
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #64
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

My opinion.....take the $2000 for the extended warranty and put it in the bank for future repairs ( if any) . My 2002 Jeep GC loaded limited has cost me less then $1000 in repairs after 160,000 miles and 11 years . Back then, The dealer gave me a free 100,000 mile extended warranty ....it went unused....so...

The dealer wanted $4000 to extend my new 2014 overland.....instead I put $2000 into a saving account .....going the self insurance route .

Good odds that I will win.......
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #65
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
jacko15 and Bullheadbud....could have sworn all the official chrysler warranties begin on the original in service date and not upon expiration of basic warranty. So, if you buy a 6/100 at month 35.99 with 35,999 miles you only have 3 more years OR 64,000 miles of additional warranty (technically service contract) remaining....am I wrong?
True. Some extended warranty benefits start day one, however, like the rental car benefit.

Also, so called lifetime warranties are for the life of the Jeep, not you personally. The end of life is the point where the covered repair costs more than the book value of the Jeep. They will pay you the book value and say goodbye.

Although the significants of a loss may be different, as with most insurance (collision, theft, life), you make out if you have bad luck, you don't if you never need to use it (you are paying for other's repairs or company profit). In general, service contracts are a bad investment. It makes more sense, however, when you are covering yourself for losses you may not be able to afford otherwise, or are buying "better" or discounted service (think about the health insurance contracts companies have with doctors, you come in off the street you pay $500, if you are covered by insurance the insurance company pays the doctor $250 for the same service. Your insurance rate reflects the $250 discount).

I've owned a few vehicles with 36,000 mile warranties where I wish I had extended benefits. Putting the money into savings has always been more economical... over the long run of several vehicles.
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #66
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Today I don't worry too much about the mechanical stuff. Been around for over 100 years.
But
These things today are all about
Computers.
No matter the Auto.
Full of computers.
And Technicians working on them.
A Challenge for everybody.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #67
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Ok, clear, but I have searched and can't find a detailed answer on the rental car benefit and paying a deductible.

So if I go in for a covered repair during the factory basic 3/36 bump-to-bump and 5/100 powertrain I would obviously be "using" the factory "free" warranty so there would be no cost to me but are you saying I get the benefit of the First Day Rental (same day)/Rental Allowance (overnight) which is a component of the Lifetime Maxcare extended service contract WITHOUT having to pay it's $100 deductible?
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #68
jacko15
2014 WK 

I posted a copy of the Lifetime MaxCare contract in this post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post18967297
If read carefully, it will answer most of the questions being asked here. You'll find as many opinions about extended service contracts as individuals on the forum. Think of it as an insurance policy. There are people I know who don't have health insurance by choice, because they've never been really sick. That's their personal decision. You have to decide what your risk level, and finances are, and make an informed decision about what you're willing to pay out for the peace of mind a service contract can provide. Personally, I've been more than paid back by service contracts I've owned over the years, so I bought one for my Jeep. In reality, I hope I never need it, but it's there if I do.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #69
14summithemi
2014 WK 

thanks jacko15 but your plan states specifically deductible does not apply for car rental benefit but mine contains no such statement so that is why I asked the question.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #70
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

The company that I work for has bought a few extended warranties over the years, but have never used them once and we usually put 100,000 to 200,000 on these pickups and vans. I personally have never bought an extended warranty over the past 40+ years of buying cars and also have never needed one. Cars now days should be good for a couple 100,000 miles and the electronic will usually be a problem early on or they will be good for a long time. Now days it is usually the software that just needs an update. I figure that if I have a vehicle that has a lot of problems during the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, then I will trade it before the factory warranty expires and if it doesn't have problems then I might keep it longer.
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #71
fun2drive

To those that want the service contract try Ziegler as they are the cheapest I have found. I am doing the 8/120 for 100 deduct for 2000 bucks. This will be my first service contract because of the massive amount of electronics this vehicle has not because of the mechanical side of the house. Go price a UConnect 8.4 with programming and installation and see how quickly you can get return on that.
Here is Ziegler's site
http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

I keep vehicles a long time and would have gone Lifetime but you can't in the US with the diesel engine. Still 8 years and 120K miles should work just fine. Doubt I will exceed the miles before I hit the time limit.

Generally extended warranty's and service contracts are money makers for the dealership and manufacturer but in this case I am hedging my bets....
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #72
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Just wondering, how much is the UConnect 8.4? The only bad thing is that a lot of those warranties will install re-manufactured parts instead of new ones, thus you get a radio that has also had a problem.
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #73
pattiK
2014 WK 

Fiat is just now officially in complete ownership of Chrysler, and they needed to obtain it to stay solvent. With this in mind, I have to wonder how this might change the way they deal with customers and warranties going forward. I don't have any experience with Fiat's corporate treatment of customers. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiat-s...001401826.html
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #74
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I think it depends on what type of vehicle you get. if you:

- get a tried and true established model (opposed to a 2014 GC with new features that may have unknown issues, vs a 2013 FJ Cruiser base model)

- does your vehicle have bells and whistles that are likely to be $$ if they break? base 2013 GC vs 2014 Summit, etc. I did not get an extended warranty on my 2011 base GC and sold it before the warranty expired, it was problem free mostly; but already glad I have a warranty on the 2014 as it does seem to have bugs. Same token for my 2011 Sienna which has been perfect x 3.5 yrs but when I saw those nice power sliding doors that my wife uses mult times a day with the kids, it was an easy decision, and sure 'nuff, less than one out from factory warr one of them just started acting funny, so no prob

caveat emptor
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #75
DRKRED12

Purchased a 7/100,000 plan today from Bob Kline at Zeigler on a certified pre-owned 2014 Summit 5.7 4x4 with 2500 miles/6 months old for $1630. Easy transaction and he even cancelled my 7/70 on the 2012 I traded. This plan was also purchased from Zeigler in 2012. Very easy to deal with and great price.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.