Jeep WK2/JK 5x5 Wheel Encyclopedia - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WK2/JK 5x5 Wheel Encyclopedia

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
AntonioAndolini
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hoping for help with specs on the 2014 Laredo wheels. I followed the links on the first page and found this:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_wheels.htm

So naturally I have "Style 6." Only issue is: What are the backspacing or offset (56.4?) of these stockers? If I can get either of them, I should be able to back-calculate to the other.

Thanks!

AntonioAndolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #32
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The backspacing is stamped/molded on the back of the wheel. You will need to take a wheel off to see it. Probably a 56.4 offset.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #33
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2013 JK Wrangler Sahara Wheels

18x7.5
44.45 offset
Now if I hold a tape measure across this, it reads 8-5/8" and the backspacing measured from the wheel mounting face to a straight edge held across the outer edge of the wheel is 6"
Math says that "should" be 5.5" (offset + half the width --- 44.45mm or 1.75" + 3.75" = 5.5")
So ColdCase it looks like our musings last year about the width of the rim bead were spot on.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
2013 JK Wrangler Sahara Wheels

18x7.5
44.45 offset
Now if I hold a tape measure across this, it reads 8-5/8" and the backspacing measured from the wheel mounting face to a straight edge held across the outer edge of the wheel is 6"
Math says that "should" be 5.5" (offset + half the width --- 44.45mm or 1.75" + 3.75" = 5.5")
So ColdCase it looks like our musings last year about the width of the rim bead were spot on.

Backspace is not offset plus half the width. The width is measured inside the beads, and offset is measure from the outside of the rear bead to the plane of the mounting surface. I find this site to be extremely helpful:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

If you input the offset it will calculate and display the backspace. If you know the backspace and not the offset, change the offset in the input area until you get the backspace you want.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Backspace is not offset plus half the width. The width is measured inside the beads, and offset is measure from the outside of the rear bead to the plane of the mounting surface. I find this site to be extremely helpful:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

If you input the offset it will calculate and display the backspace. If you know the backspace and not the offset, change the offset in the input area until you get the backspace you want.
That's what I was saying. Offset and Backspacing will never add up unless you know the dimension of the rim bead. Width and Offset are measured inside the bead, Backspacing is measured outside the bead.
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #36
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
That's what I was saying. Offset and Backspacing will never add up unless you know the dimension of the rim bead. Width and Offset are measured inside the bead, Backspacing is measured outside the bead.
That is exactly correct. You can calculate offset by measuring the entire width of the wheel (outside of bead to outside of bead) and measuring the backspace. I just bought wheels last weekend and measured backspace by laying the wheel flat with the back side up, placing a flat board across the bead, and measuring from the mounting face to the board.

backspace - (outside wheel width/2) = offset

If the backspace is less than half the wheel width, that means the mounting face is closer to the inside of the wheel that the center point, and that yields a negative offset.

My measurements and calculations showed the offset was 35 mm, when the actual (according to the wheel manufacturer) was 36 mm.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #37
jnelsonpvc
2013 WK 

17" on a 2013 Trailhawk?

Quote:
Raised edge 5 spoke
OEM WK2 Laredo
17x8
+56 offset / 6-1/4" backspacing
Will not clear HD brakes.

Has anyone tried 17" rims with the larger brakes? I know it says it won't fit and will rub, but it looks like there is plenty of room...

Thanks,
John

Last edited by jnelsonpvc; 04-07-2014 at 02:12 PM..
jnelsonpvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #38
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelsonpvc View Post
Have anyone tried 17" rims with the larger brakes? I know it says it won't fit and will rub, but it looks like there is plenty of room...

Thanks,
John
IIRC someone on here put 17s on a GC with HD brakes. The fit was very tight but they fit. They were possibly Sahara wheels. don't quote me on this. I'm not gonna search for it but I believe it has been done.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #39
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelsonpvc View Post
Have anyone tried 17" rims with the larger brakes? I know it says it won't fit and will rub, but it looks like there is plenty of room...

Thanks,
John
If you have the big brakes and a 17" wheel at your disposal, please do the homework for us all and let us know just exactly what the issue is. It's strictly hearsay I've copied from the internet at this point.
Thanks.
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
If you have the big brakes and a 17" wheel at your disposal, please do the homework for us all and let us know just exactly what the issue is. It's strictly hearsay I've copied from the internet at this point.
Thanks.
Yes that would be nice.

Its been reported here that some 17s will not work clamping tight to the caliper and some do after a bit of grinding on the caliper. There was at least one report of them mating right up. I have not seen a cross reference with which OEM 17s work, fit with mods, or don't try it. Since the clearance is so small, I wouldn't be surprised if some 17 OEM of the same make/model fit where others do not.
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
jnelsonpvc
2013 WK 

Anyone live near me that has 17s? I live in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. The zip is 91737. I would love to do the homework, if someone has the rim!
jnelsonpvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #42
lp967
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yes that would be nice.

Its been reported here that some 17s will not work clamping tight to the caliper and some do after a bit of grinding on the caliper.
I can personally confirm this. We recently got our 2014 Limited GC Ecodiesel 4x4. It has the HD brakes. I have a set of the 17" 10th Anniversary Rubicon wheels. I tried them on the front and they would not fit. The inside of the wheel makes contact with the outside of the brake caliper. It is minimal but enough to keep the wheel from sitting flush against the mounting surface of the rotor. With a little bit of grinding on the caliper I'm sure the wheels would ok. I did not want to grind on the caliper being that it still brand new with paper tags and all. I am going to end up selling the wheels. I really wish 17's would fit because I like to have the taller sidewall on my tires especially on the trails.

It would not surprise me to see other 17's fit though. Like I said its minimal contact but a slight difference in the design or lines on the inside of the wheel could be enough to make it fit. Even a different backspacing might make it fit. I just know the Rubi wheels would not fit our 2014.
lp967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

replacing 20" with 18"

Since all the talk here, I have a question. I have a 2014 Diesel GC Summit with the 20" OEM wheels.. I am wanting to put some 2014 Wrangler Sahara 18" Sparkle Silver wheels in there place for in the mountains.. Will the back space and everything work okay???
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #44
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most 18s will work. I've had 2 different sets of 18" Sahara wheels on my Overland with the big brakes.

Nice CJ.
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #45
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Sahara Wheels

I am picking up a set of 2014 Wrangler Sahara Upgraded 7 spoke polished wheels Friday. They are new (only 50 miles on them) with the Bridgestone Dueler tires. I also got TPMS ordered today... Hopefully will test fit this weekend and then get the TPMS installed next week.... Not a big rush we leave for Colorado Labor Day....

thanks
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.