Jeep Whistle Noise when Turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Whistle Noise when Turning

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
LePacteDesLoups

Wk Jeep Whistle Noise when Turning

Hello all.

I have a 2014 WK2 3.6L Limited that began having an issue at about 2000 miles.

Occasionally, when I enter a turn (usually only curves in the road), I get a "tone" from the engine compartment. It's a high-pitched noise (a consistent squeak), like a Popeye whistle or maybe a tuning fork noise. It's a very consistent tone, and then it goes away. It's not a scrape or a grind, it's a very clean sound (if that makes sense).

I only hear it at lower speeds (never on highway). I am NOT depressing the brakes when this happens. Note that the tone can continue passed the turn for a second or two (even when steering wheel is straight again). I've driven with my radio and climate fully off to eliminate any possibilities and to hear it better (also to make sure the A/C is off to ensure it's not an A/C issue).

Note that the whistle's volume is loud enough that I can hear it over my climate being on (fans on "5" with recirculate on) and even radio at normal volume. The video clip link below should illustrate this.

I've taken it to 2 dealers so far. One of them was completely clueless, but the second one has being trying hard to figure it out. They've test driven the vehicle numerous times, and said that they test drove some other 2014's on their lot and hear the same noise, relating the issue to the power steering pump... therefore they are starting to conclude that the noise is "normal".

The problem is that the tone is loud enough that if it was normal, I believe many of the owners of a 2014 WK2 hearing it would bring it in to complain. What I believe could be the confusion I am having with the dealer is the WK2 might normally make a soft whine or whistle as the steering pump engages, but mine in particular makes a loud whistle instead for one reason or another. If I could get them to confirm mine is abnormally loud, maybe Jeep would let them swap the pump. I know this is a confusing post, and I apologize, I am just very frustrated, because the noise is loud and embarrassing and I paid 40 grand for this vehicle.

I have a Youtube clip of the sound below. If you've experienced the same thing, at volume, please let me know... especially if the issue was resolved or at least identified as a problem by a dealer. I just want to connect with some other WK2 owners with the same issue.

LePacteDesLoups is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
hemispin
2014 WK 

I haven't heard this sound myself. It does seem reasonable it's related to the power steering somehow.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
hemispin
2014 WK 

I just heard this exact noise yesterday when going around on an on-ramp at about 25-30 mph. I was turning to the right. I could not get it duplicate the sound the rest of the day. When the noise happened, my Jeep was at full operating temperature as I'd been driving for about 15 minutes. We'll see if it continues.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
hemispin
2014 WK 

I got the noise fixed! Here's what I replied in a similar thread regarding this noise:

Here we go. Reading directly off my work order after taking it to the dealer for nav updates and an oil change:

08CHZ: ELECTRICAL REPAIRS
Customer states the anti skid light came on once while driving straight on the freeway. After restarting, light went off.

- Code set C-1082 vacuum press sensor gen signal failure. Tested and replaced vacuum sensor. Test drove, checks ok.

I also had nav screen issue. Here's what they did:

08CHZ: Electrical repairs
Customer states the nav screen goes blank sometimes. Also after shutting off vehicle for a few minutes and then restarting it resets itself, this happens mostly after longer drives.

- Installed 68053596AA :VALVE: BRAKE BOOSTER CHECK

C/S NAV SCREEN GOES BLANK
RADIO NEEDS UPDATE.
CHECKED DTCS, NONE SET. RRT 13-056 WILL CORRECT THIS.

So somewhere along the lines, either the vacuum pressure sensor or the brake booster check valve took care of the intermittent and random whistling, cuz I haven't heard it since these were replaced. I hope this helps someone out!
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
JG_2008

This is helpful. I just purchased my 2014 GC and I can here a high pitched whistling sound coming from engine compartment. The sound changes and slightly increases when steering so this could be related to power steering. Will be taking to get serviced to find out what is wrong. Will update this post if it's identified and fixed.
JG_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_2008 View Post
This is helpful. I just purchased my 2014 GC and I can here a high pitched whistling sound coming from engine compartment. The sound changes and slightly increases when steering so this could be related to power steering. Will be taking to get serviced to find out what is wrong. Will update this post if it's identified and fixed.
I hear this noise on my sister in laws 2013 V6 and my ex-wifes 2014 V6. I always hear it when they are backing out of the driveway. Assumed it was normal.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
JG_2008

From the research I've done already, there are quite a few people that have reported hearing this noise. I only have 34 miles on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with V6. So I think it is a know issue. Going bring it to get serviced anyway and see what the service department has to say about it.
JG_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Check your power steering resovior. Hydraulics could be sucking air past a o ring or loose fitting on low pressure died.
Resovior fluid will be Foamy and because of increased volume be leaking out the top.
Something to look at anyway.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
overlandwolf

Whistle noise Overland

LePacteDesLoups, I am having what sounds like the exact same problem with my 2014 Jeep overland since I purchased it last fall! (high whistle sound at <20mph, occurs during braking/accelerating/or coasting, sound changes pitch when the steering wheel turns). Just took it in today to a 2nd dealer to try to assess the problem. They are going 'to look into it and do some research' about what the problem could be but they also mentioned that it could be 'normal'. God, I hope not! It drives me up the wall AND after spending 45K, I expect more. Did you end up figuring out what the problem is? the service director today mentioned that it could have to do with the power steering pump....any help would be great.
overlandwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
jkclbk

Its the power steering rack. Pretty sure the service dept can do something to reduce the sound.
I know, I had a NISSAN BEFORE.
THEY ARE BAD!
jkclbk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

I'm gonna record my early build 2011 and see if it's the same noise you guys are talking about because if it is, it's not likely the rack seeing that I have the nonelectric rack and you have the electric rack.
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
overlandwolf

update since my last response: My 2014 overland is still making a high-pitch whistling noise at low speeds, change in pitch when the steerIng wheel turns. I took my car in last week to get it looked at, and spoke to the service director today regarding the matter after he told me last week that he was going to 'look into it'. Today, he told me that he test drove other 2014 overlands and that they are all making this same noise, and thus it is 'normal'! I mentioned to him that in my research it seems that it could be due to the power steering pump. He responded that he could not 'just go replacing parts if it is a normal sound'! So, basically, he said that he could make it a 5-star case (whatever that means) and report it to the rep when he visits. It certainly does not feel that I am being taken seriously. But, I am not that knowledgeable about cars either. This is my first Jeep and probably my last! If you have ANY recommendations or advice on how I should proceed, I would greatly appreciate it!
overlandwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
SouthDakota

2014 WK 

Test drive other 2014/2015 Jeeps on their lot. Prove to the service advisor, or if necessary his boss, that they do not make that same sound. I may even advise to do that at a different dealership, and ask the service manager there for two drives: one in one of his 2014/2015 models, and one in yours, so that you can show him the exact sound you are referring too.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
I'm gonna record my early build 2011 and see if it's the same noise you guys are talking about because if it is, it's not likely the rack seeing that I have the nonelectric rack and you have the electric rack.
They may use the same rack. For one, the hydraulic pump runs off a fan belt, the other the pump is turned by an electric motor.
Unread 04-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

I noticed this when pulling part numbers the other day, I haven't uploaded the video but my noise actually sounds more like it's coming from the column than the rack. It's kind of a wheezing whining more than a high pitched squeal. I'll find the video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.