Jeep: possible flipper glass option? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep: possible flipper glass option?

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
skremese
2012 WK 

Jeep: possible flipper glass option?

I love the redone wk2 but am extremely disappointed by the elimination of the flipper glass. Any chance it can be brought back, at least as a paid for option?

skremese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Never going to happen

Jeep eliminated the flipper glass to increase mpgs from what I read.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
skremese
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Jeep eliminated the flipper glass to increase mpgs from what I read.
How's that? Weight reduction? I'm sure it's one thing - cost minimization to boost margins. The flipper glass requires not only the hinges and mechanism to unlock but the buttons and electronics. If most competitors don't have, why bother is probably the rational. It was a great and unique feature.

Did they bother to add programmable height adjustment to the lift gate to help compensate?

So bummed - they '14 was looking like a worthy upgrade. The wk2 has (had) all the righ features at the right cost.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
mpuzach
2012 WK 

I'll admit that the flipper glass on pre-2014s was a nice feature but is its absence on 2014s really a deal breaker? My 2012 Limited has it; in the year that I've owned it I think I've used it once.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
skremese
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuzach View Post
I'll admit that the flipper glass on pre-2014s was a nice feature but is its absence on 2014s really a deal breaker? My 2012 Limited has it; in the year that I've owned it I think I've used it once.
Yeah, unfortunately my house has individual 1 piece garage doors meaning the whole thing opens up as opposed to rolling up. This severely limits the height a single liftgate on an SUV can achieve. Therefore I use the glass every single day to get things in and out.

I have looked at putting in rolling doors because its such a PITA but can't due to the way the house constructed. Whenever I have lots of, big or heavy stuff that requires the liftgate to open I have to leave the Jeep outside, unload then pull in. We also have a sienna and this is the only way to get stuff in/out if the back.

It may sound like a nit but to us it was a great feature somewhat unique to the GC! If the liftgate had a programmable height adjustment that would help.
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
MMAXX

Use mine all the time easier to use and lighter than lifting the lift gate .
MMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
ColdCase

2011 WK 

I find it handy for packing that last oz of luggage without it spilling out on the driveway. Open the glass and pack more stuff in. Also after a long trip, opening the flipper to retrieve loose items before opening the gate and they spill is helpful. Its also handy for carrying long items for short distances. I use mine often.
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skremese View Post
I love the redone wk2 but am extremely disappointed by the elimination of the flipper glass. Any chance it can be brought back, at least as a paid for option?
I doubt very much that you'll see it again, even as an option.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
zr2s10
2012 WK 

What about swapping out the gate with one from a '11-'13? Would be a PITA, but an option at least.
I agree that I barely use it, but like others have said, that last little bit of luggage that needs loaded up, won't go in any other way!
Also, if you have a hitch carrier rack, you likely can't open the gate with it loaded up. My co-worker found that out the hard way on his Acadia. I told him to just open the glass, and he said it doesn't open on the Acadia. I told him he shoulda bought a Jeep, lol.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
What about swapping out the gate with one from a '11-'13? Would be a PITA, but an option at least.
I agree that I barely use it, but like others have said, that last little bit of luggage that needs loaded up, won't go in any other way!
Also, if you have a hitch carrier rack, you likely can't open the gate with it loaded up. My co-worker found that out the hard way on his Acadia. I told him to just open the glass, and he said it doesn't open on the Acadia. I told him he shoulda bought a Jeep, lol.
The 2014 has a different liftgate then the 2011-2013's.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10
Good point I forgot about. Looking to replace my my 4runner I sold and used the roll down gate window often and also with a hitch rack.
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
The 2014 has a different liftgate then the 2011-2013's.
Well, obviously it's different, but just how different is it? I would assume they weren't going to re-engineer the mounting points for a cosmetic refresh. Unless they made sheet metal changes to the main body, an older one would still bolt up. Did they actually change anything other than the hatch/lights?
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.