Jeep Hacked - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Hacked

GR8TOPS HD TJ Replacement HingesPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher Corners

Unread 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

Jeep Hacked

I saw this on Wired.com While its a Cherokee I believe the same can be done to Grand Cherokee. Two guys controlled a Cherokee from their laptop.
Maybe its a new driverless feature for Jeep.
I noticed there was what looked like a camera on the lower driver side door, probably for safety control.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

guess you can thank them for this part of the latest 15.26.1 upgrade:

**Improved Radio security protection to reduce the potential risk of unauthorized and unlawful access to vehicle systems (US market only).**
Jurassic_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

That is good to know. Thanks

I was just starting to plan a driverless off road adventure!

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
ferntree

2014 WK 

Thanks - was about to post the same link. Does anyone know if we have to apply the update ourselves?
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Lightninrod
2013 WK 

Is this a potential threat only if you're a Sprint subscriber?
Lightninrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote from the article.

"Uconnect computers are linked to the Internet by Sprint’s cellular network, and only other Sprint devices can talk to them. "

It would have nothing to do with your personal service provider.
lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Thanks - was about to post the same link. Does anyone know if we have to apply the update ourselves?
Discussed here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...lable-3309841/
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

http://fortune.com/2015/07/23/jeep-h...fiat-chrysler/

FCC was aware & working with the hacker for a year

Nice way to get a job!

Unread 07-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
CBRDude

I had to take my 2015 in to have the Fobik programed, some how the second one disappeared into the big black hole of life and they applied the patch for the Wi-Fi hack. Also some other stuff needed to be updated. I have not activated the Wi-Fi as I have a Verizon hotspot. You can't drag the Jeep into the coffee shop! No need to pay twice and Verizon is much better than Sprint for coverage even though they use the same network.

I'm surprised that FCA uses Sprint and 3G at that. Must be cheap? Daimler Benz uses Verizon for their Comand and infotainment. Also surprised they use that when the other German automakers use T-Mobil. I have the UConnect in my 2012 Benz that pulls down 3G. Not sure what carrier that it rides on. The infotainment is Verizon but the two are not connected.
CBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

Its officially a recall now.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

From CNN
capture.jpg

Unread 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
wxman2003
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
Its officially a recall now.
Their recall basically gives you a usb stick to do it yourself.
wxman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Their recall basically gives you a usb stick to do it yourself.
Can you post your copy of the recall notice so the rest of us can see?
Unread 07-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
DavidsCyclops
Jeepaholic

2014 WK 

Chrysler Recall #R40

NHTSA Recall #15V-461

Recall Date July 23, 2015

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk: SOME 2013-2015 MY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPECIFIC RADIOS HAVE CERTAIN SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES WHICH COULD ALLOW UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS TO SOME NETWORKED VEHICLE CONTROL SYSTEMS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPLOIT OF THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY COULD RESULT IN UNAUTHORIZED REMOTE MODIFICATION AND CONTROL OF VEHICLE SYSTEMS. FCA US HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION THAT THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY CONSTITUTES A DEFECT. ALTHOUGH FCA US HAS NOT DETERMINED THAT A DEFECT EXISTS, IT HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A REMEDIAL CAMPAIGN AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE INTEREST OF PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS. EXPLOITATION OF THE SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES COULD LEAD TO EXPOSING THE DRIVER, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL OR VEHICLE WITH PROXIMITY TO THE AFFECTED VEHICLE TO A POTENTIAL RISK OF INJURY.

Repair Description: CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL WILL RECEIVE A USB DRIVE WHICH THEY MAY USE TO UPGRADE VEHICLE SOFTWARE, PROVIDING ADDITIONAL SECURITY FEATURES INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK-LEVEL MEASURES. ALTERNATELY, CUSTOMERS MAY VISIT HTTP://WWW.DRIVEUCONNECT.COM/SOFTWARE-UPDATE/ TO INPUT THEIR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINS) AND DETERMINE IF THEIR VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. IF SO, THEY MAY DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR VISIT THEIR DEALERS, WHERE TECHNICIANS WILL PERFORM THE INSTALLATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE SOFTWARE OR, IN THE CASE OF DEALER VISIT, INSTALLATION.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE

Speedometer for SALE
DavidsCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
scross1220

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsCyclops View Post
Chrysler Recall #R40

NHTSA Recall #15V-461

Recall Date July 23, 2015

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk: SOME 2013-2015 MY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPECIFIC RADIOS HAVE CERTAIN SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES WHICH COULD ALLOW UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS TO SOME NETWORKED VEHICLE CONTROL SYSTEMS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPLOIT OF THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY COULD RESULT IN UNAUTHORIZED REMOTE MODIFICATION AND CONTROL OF VEHICLE SYSTEMS. FCA US HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION THAT THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY CONSTITUTES A DEFECT. ALTHOUGH FCA US HAS NOT DETERMINED THAT A DEFECT EXISTS, IT HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A REMEDIAL CAMPAIGN AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE INTEREST OF PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS. EXPLOITATION OF THE SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES COULD LEAD TO EXPOSING THE DRIVER, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL OR VEHICLE WITH PROXIMITY TO THE AFFECTED VEHICLE TO A POTENTIAL RISK OF INJURY.

Repair Description: CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL WILL RECEIVE A USB DRIVE WHICH THEY MAY USE TO UPGRADE VEHICLE SOFTWARE, PROVIDING ADDITIONAL SECURITY FEATURES INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK-LEVEL MEASURES. ALTERNATELY, CUSTOMERS MAY VISIT HTTP://WWW.DRIVEUCONNECT.COM/SOFTWARE-UPDATE/ TO INPUT THEIR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINS) AND DETERMINE IF THEIR VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. IF SO, THEY MAY DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR VISIT THEIR DEALERS, WHERE TECHNICIANS WILL PERFORM THE INSTALLATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE SOFTWARE OR, IN THE CASE OF DEALER VISIT, INSTALLATION.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE
Ah boo just what I need I'm getting harassed at work now because I drive a White Jeep!

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[o]llllll[o]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.