Jeep Hacked - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Hacked

GR8TOPS HD TJ Replacement HingesPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher Corners

Reply
Unread 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
LJS8510
Web Wheeler
 
LJS8510's Avatar
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Il, IL
Posts: 1,429
Jeep Hacked

I saw this on Wired.com While its a Cherokee I believe the same can be done to Grand Cherokee. Two guys controlled a Cherokee from their laptop.
Maybe its a new driverless feature for Jeep.
I noticed there was what looked like a camera on the lower driver side door, probably for safety control.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

__________________

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Jurassic_Jeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 115
guess you can thank them for this part of the latest 15.26.1 upgrade:

**Improved Radio security protection to reduce the potential risk of unauthorized and unlawful access to vehicle systems (US market only).**
Jurassic_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
LJS8510
Web Wheeler
 
LJS8510's Avatar
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Il, IL
Posts: 1,429
That is good to know. Thanks

I was just starting to plan a driverless off road adventure!
__________________

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
ferntree
Member
 
ferntree's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 41.680 N, 70.200 W
Posts: 225
Thanks - was about to post the same link. Does anyone know if we have to apply the update ourselves?
__________________
2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, rock rails, Cooper AT3's - oh yeah!!
Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Lightninrod
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: warner robins, GA
Posts: 27
Is this a potential threat only if you're a Sprint subscriber?
Lightninrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ridgetop, Tn
Posts: 417
Quote from the article.

"Uconnect computers are linked to the Internet by Sprint’s cellular network, and only other Sprint devices can talk to them. "

It would have nothing to do with your personal service provider.
lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
jacko15
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania's North Shore
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Thanks - was about to post the same link. Does anyone know if we have to apply the update ourselves?
Discussed here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...lable-3309841/
__________________
Hers: 2008 Jeep Compass Sport
Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6 ORA II
Michelin LTX M/S 2's
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
LJS8510
Web Wheeler
 
LJS8510's Avatar
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Il, IL
Posts: 1,429
http://fortune.com/2015/07/23/jeep-h...fiat-chrysler/

FCC was aware & working with the hacker for a year

Nice way to get a job!
__________________

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
CBRDude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 10
I had to take my 2015 in to have the Fobik programed, some how the second one disappeared into the big black hole of life and they applied the patch for the Wi-Fi hack. Also some other stuff needed to be updated. I have not activated the Wi-Fi as I have a Verizon hotspot. You can't drag the Jeep into the coffee shop! No need to pay twice and Verizon is much better than Sprint for coverage even though they use the same network.

I'm surprised that FCA uses Sprint and 3G at that. Must be cheap? Daimler Benz uses Verizon for their Comand and infotainment. Also surprised they use that when the other German automakers use T-Mobil. I have the UConnect in my 2012 Benz that pulls down 3G. Not sure what carrier that it rides on. The infotainment is Verizon but the two are not connected.
CBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Jurassic_Jeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 115
Its officially a recall now.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ridgetop, Tn
Posts: 417
From CNN
capture.jpg

lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
wxman2003
Registered User
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
Its officially a recall now.
Their recall basically gives you a usb stick to do it yourself.
wxman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ridgetop, Tn
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Their recall basically gives you a usb stick to do it yourself.
Can you post your copy of the recall notice so the rest of us can see?
lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
DavidsCyclops
Jeepaholic
 
DavidsCyclops's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 329
Chrysler Recall #R40

NHTSA Recall #15V-461

Recall Date July 23, 2015

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk: SOME 2013-2015 MY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPECIFIC RADIOS HAVE CERTAIN SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES WHICH COULD ALLOW UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS TO SOME NETWORKED VEHICLE CONTROL SYSTEMS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPLOIT OF THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY COULD RESULT IN UNAUTHORIZED REMOTE MODIFICATION AND CONTROL OF VEHICLE SYSTEMS. FCA US HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION THAT THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY CONSTITUTES A DEFECT. ALTHOUGH FCA US HAS NOT DETERMINED THAT A DEFECT EXISTS, IT HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A REMEDIAL CAMPAIGN AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE INTEREST OF PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS. EXPLOITATION OF THE SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES COULD LEAD TO EXPOSING THE DRIVER, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL OR VEHICLE WITH PROXIMITY TO THE AFFECTED VEHICLE TO A POTENTIAL RISK OF INJURY.

Repair Description: CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL WILL RECEIVE A USB DRIVE WHICH THEY MAY USE TO UPGRADE VEHICLE SOFTWARE, PROVIDING ADDITIONAL SECURITY FEATURES INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK-LEVEL MEASURES. ALTERNATELY, CUSTOMERS MAY VISIT HTTP://WWW.DRIVEUCONNECT.COM/SOFTWARE-UPDATE/ TO INPUT THEIR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINS) AND DETERMINE IF THEIR VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. IF SO, THEY MAY DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR VISIT THEIR DEALERS, WHERE TECHNICIANS WILL PERFORM THE INSTALLATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE SOFTWARE OR, IN THE CASE OF DEALER VISIT, INSTALLATION.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE
__________________
'14 GC Overland 3.6L, 02-25-15, 21,498 miles.
RIP - '05 GC Laredo 3.7L, 02-19-15, 412,646 miles.


Speedometer for SALE
DavidsCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
scross1220
Member
 
scross1220's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsCyclops View Post
Chrysler Recall #R40

NHTSA Recall #15V-461

Recall Date July 23, 2015

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk: SOME 2013-2015 MY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPECIFIC RADIOS HAVE CERTAIN SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES WHICH COULD ALLOW UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS TO SOME NETWORKED VEHICLE CONTROL SYSTEMS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPLOIT OF THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY COULD RESULT IN UNAUTHORIZED REMOTE MODIFICATION AND CONTROL OF VEHICLE SYSTEMS. FCA US HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION THAT THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY CONSTITUTES A DEFECT. ALTHOUGH FCA US HAS NOT DETERMINED THAT A DEFECT EXISTS, IT HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A REMEDIAL CAMPAIGN AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE INTEREST OF PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS. EXPLOITATION OF THE SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES COULD LEAD TO EXPOSING THE DRIVER, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL OR VEHICLE WITH PROXIMITY TO THE AFFECTED VEHICLE TO A POTENTIAL RISK OF INJURY.

Repair Description: CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL WILL RECEIVE A USB DRIVE WHICH THEY MAY USE TO UPGRADE VEHICLE SOFTWARE, PROVIDING ADDITIONAL SECURITY FEATURES INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK-LEVEL MEASURES. ALTERNATELY, CUSTOMERS MAY VISIT HTTP://WWW.DRIVEUCONNECT.COM/SOFTWARE-UPDATE/ TO INPUT THEIR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINS) AND DETERMINE IF THEIR VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. IF SO, THEY MAY DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR VISIT THEIR DEALERS, WHERE TECHNICIANS WILL PERFORM THE INSTALLATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE SOFTWARE OR, IN THE CASE OF DEALER VISIT, INSTALLATION.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE
Ah boo just what I need I'm getting harassed at work now because I drive a White Jeep!
__________________

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[o]llllll[o]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)


If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.