Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Dodge Durango - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Dodge Durango

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
airbornedoc

Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Dodge Durango

I'm trying to decide. I'm going to rent a Grand Cherokee today for a few days. I drove the Durango AWD 6 cylinder on an 800 mile trip yesterday and was amazed! I have a hemi RAM and love the engine. I've owned Mercedes and BMW's and that Durango was the best I've ever driven. It may be more than I need though and I'm starting to think it looks like a station wagon. I don't go off road, live in Florida, and have 2 teenage kids. So I'm trolling looking for suggestions. Thanks for advice.

airbornedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much depends on whether you need the third seat or not? Otherwise, not a lot of difference between them.
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

GC looks much less like a family car than the Durango, IMO... i.e., I think the GC is much better looking! But if you need the 3d row or prefer the longer "stationwagon" looking vehicle, then go with the Durango.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
JB4Pres
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2011 GC and a girl I work with has a 2012 Durango. The only real difference I see are the back doors on the Durango are much wider. Maybe easier to get teens in and out of.
JB4Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
JAH7
2012 WK 

I initially went to the dealer to look at buying a Durango. I really liked the front end of the R/T. Took it out for a test drive and while it was a comfortable ride, I ended it feeling very uninspired. Started walking around it and just couldn't get over the back of the thing. From the B-Pillar back it looks like a hurst. Drove the Jeep Overland Summit sitting next to it in the lot and just fell in love...the drive, the looks, everything. I can't figure out why Dodge would make the front of that thing look so good and the back so bad. Almost as if they had two people designing it from each end.
JAH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
jlused

My wife and I are trying to make the decision between the GC and the D, and it comes down to this: we like the extra space of the D and could probably use the third row at some point in the future, my wife thinks it's pretty ugly compared to the GC. Not sure where we're going to come out, but a three row Grand Wagoneer would make things a lot easier...
jlused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
peckmv

The Durango has a bit of a smoother ride due to the longer wheelbase. The JGC has a nicer interior. The big difference for me was the Jeep had a 4x4 system and the Durango has an AWD system. Big difference.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
2011WK2overland

I too, went ready to write a check for the Durango. Test drove them both, and fell for the JGC. If possible, park the Durango nose-to-nose with the Jeep. When I did that, I saw the Durango is less pleasing to look at from the side. The front end-gorgeous. Everything else-meh. It just looked like a minivan to me.
So, long story short: i own an Overland.

Good luck to ya!!
2011WK2overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

The Durango, by design I think, is more focused on hauling people and stuff around. The JGC more on offroad manners and, of course, less size/weight (though not by a huge amount). Which makes sense for you depends on what you want to do.

Based on my visit to JNAP last august and the folk I met while there, both are well designed and made vehicles.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
sfgiant

I also considered the Durango, but its just to big for me. The Jeep is the perfect size IMO. I do like the look of the front end of the Durango like many have said. The interior in the Durango is not as pleasing either.
sfgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
genciu
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
The Durango has a bit of a smoother ride due to the longer wheelbase. The JGC has a nicer interior. The big difference for me was the Jeep had a 4x4 system and the Durango has an AWD system. Big difference.
So, what is the difference between the 4X4 and AWD systems? We bought the Grand Cherokee because we like the size and style. Friends have asked the difference between the Durango and GC systems and I did not have an answer.
genciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by genciu View Post
So, what is the difference between the 4X4 and AWD systems? We bought the Grand Cherokee because we like the size and style. Friends have asked the difference between the Durango and GC systems and I did not have an answer.
This explains it pretty well.

http://www.allpar.com/eek/k/SUVs.html

http://rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Camp
2005 WK 

I love the look of the new GC, but the new Durangos look too much like a minivan with regular doors to me. If I had the cash to afford either it would be the GC hands down.
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
genciu
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
Head mechanic at hometown motors today said the Quadra-Trac I on the Grand Cherokee is identical to the AWD system on the Durango and probably should be referred to as AWD. Only when you move to Quadra-Trac II is it a real 4X4 system. That seems to agree with the articles at allpar.

Thanks for the info.
genciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Rindge NH, practically next door!

Also see http://durangoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14730
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.