Jeep Grand Cherokee lethal in evasive maneuver - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee lethal in evasive maneuver

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #91
airec13
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1234

Actually, I'd also like to see how the 4Runner, Pathfinder, and Land Rover vehicles do as well.

We have a 2001 Highlander, and although it's advertised to be in the same class as a crossover it does not handle like a true off-road capable SUV.
Actually the 4Runner does really well in evasive maneuvers! :-)

airec13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #92
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airec13 View Post
Actually the 4Runner does really well in evasive maneuvers! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhNn...e_gdata_player
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #93
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rollover Risks? (Chrysler Engineers Invited To New Testing)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rollover Risks? (Chrysler Engineers Invited To New Testing)

So as of late auto blogs and online magazines have been a buzz over this video released by Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld. There web bases episode shows a dramatic lane-change maneuver called evasive maneuver (moose test), in which the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee seems to fail horribly.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rollover Risks? (Chrysler Engineers Invited To New Testing) | Morris 4×4 Center Blog

Now I don't know if many of you have seen this or not but we thought it was interesting. What is your take?

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM me for any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #94
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I merged your thread above with this thread.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #95
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I merged your thread above with this thread.
That link has the 2nd video of testing and follow up. so i dont think its a reposting, but ok.....

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM me for any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #96
AndreasK

We have discussed it and I am starting to doubt that Chrysler will adress this after this video. The first response came very fast but a second comment has not yet been made which is poor. This video shows that they lied in the first respons which idoitic. Now they are either testing and devoloping a solution or they are hidding and waiting for the storm to blow over, would it have been a more important magazine they would have been worse of. For instance German Automotosport have a swedish version and the news would have been in both making the impact larger internationally.

JEEP is a low selling car in sweden and thats a shame as it is much more of a car than a XC90. The Xc90 was my second choice but that car is OLD both exterior and interior, a shame that anyone keeps buying it as you get the interior of a 2000 model car at the price of a 2012. On the other hand my GC stands out and gets attention.
AndreasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #97
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center

That link has the 2nd video of testing and follow up. so i dont think its a reposting, but ok.....
Yea but with t being the same topic and whatnot figured it was better suited in here.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using JeepForum

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #98
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

I did the Moose Test today in my 2012 Overland with Air Suspension with 20inch wheels and stock Goodyear Fortera HLs at 86 mph in front of a Semi to my right and around a car in the left lane. I was in sport mode with no passengers but that is twice the speed of the Moose Test and the Jeep held firm.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #99
JG1025
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
I did the Moose Test today in my 2012 Overland with Air Suspension with 20inch wheels and stock Goodyear Fortera HLs at 86 mph in front of a Semi to my right and around a car in the left lane. I was in sport mode with no passengers but that is twice the speed of the Moose Test and the Jeep held firm.
I'm in the same boat. South Florida has the worst drivers I've ever encountered, so "moose tests" and evasive maneuvers are a daily occurrence. Generally on the highway at speeds in excess of 70, avoiding road debris or clueless drivers. Never, once, has the GC ever seemed like it was even close to rolling..
Unread 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #100
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Update here:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...t-5305076.html

Translation is that the evasive maneuver test (moose) was redone by a german team under controlled conditions without dramatics.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #101
Charlienmr
2012 WK 

Here's what AMS had to say after there second test.

The avoidance event included releasing the accelerator pedal, provoking a load shift. AMS reported, “Whether loaded with 2 people on board or with the maximum permissible total weight, all four wheels maintained contact with the ground to the greatest possible extent. The tested Jeep did not demonstrate one-sided uplift or, let alone, tipping. This confirms the theory that the Cherokee in Sweden was overloaded.”

Sorry to my Swedish Grandma but I do trust the German report a lot more. Its clear they followed good test protocol. So my summary is:

Swedes

Germans.
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #102
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

My ancestry is mostly German so - another win for the good guys!
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #103
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Update in Canadian media

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120739998
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #104
AndreasK

AMS is a better source but the test lack of credibility compared to the well covered tests that TV made. Some specifications on the test conditions, the car and images or even better video would strengthen their case tremendously.
AndreasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #105
thorium

I think it is possible to get any tall vehicle to flip over if handled too roughly. This particular exercise involves multiple hard turns, so resonance becomes an issue. (The second turn is worse than the first, because of the built up tension in the suspension.)

I bought the Jeep because I felt that it handled much better than many other SUV's that tends to float like boats. I still think it handles well.

What is inexcusable, however, is that the tire/rim combination appears to be inappropriate for the weight of the vehicle. 7 of 12 times during the test the tires blew out, that should never happen during an evasive manoeuvre!

I'm guessing that a smaller rim with larger tire will provide less stability, but reduce the chance of a blow out. Something to think about.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.