Jeep Grand Cherokee lethal in evasive maneuver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee lethal in evasive maneuver

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
jronnblom

Jeep Grand Cherokee lethal in evasive maneuver

Tekniks Värld is a Swedish motor magazine. They almost rolled a Grand Cherokee in a low speed evasive test:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest/

-J

jronnblom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
henrysko
2011 WK 

?

Not sure of test parameters but, according to this blurb, the feds gave it a 3 out of 5 star rating for rollover.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...erokee/Safety/
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
TooGoodToBeTrue

Statement from Chrysler Group:

Quote:
Chrysler Group engineers are investigating a Swedish magazine’s evaluation of the 2012 Grand Cherokee. During the evaluation, the publication was able to capture images of a Grand Cherokee on two wheels as it performed an extreme maneuver in an overloaded condition.

Advised of this event by the magazine, Chrysler Group engineers made numerous attempts to reproduce the wheel-lift in a properly loaded vehicle. Extensive testing produced no such result.

A subsequent evaluation was conducted by the magazine July 8 in Sweden and witnessed by Chrysler Group engineers. Three vehicles performed 11 runs on a course prepared by the magazine. None reproduced the original event.

The uncharacteristic result was obtained using a vehicle loaded beyond its weight specifications. The Grand Cherokee’s weight limitations are clearly stated on the vehicle and in the owner’s manual.

Also, the extreme maneuver performed by the magazine is not certified by any regulatory agency, nor is it used to establish any sanctioned safety ratings.

Chrysler Group takes seriously any safety concerns and engineers are examining the event to better understand the magazine’s claims.

A “Top Safety Pick” of the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2012 Grand Cherokee is an award-winning SUV that features Electronic Stability Control and Electronic Roll Mitigation as standard equipment. It meets or exceeds all government safety mandates and its outstanding performance has made it the most awarded SUV in history.
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
TooGoodToBeTrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysko View Post
?

Not sure of test parameters but, according to this blurb, the feds gave it a 3 out of 5 star rating for rollover.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...erokee/Safety/
The 2WD versions get 3 stars from NHTSA for a "20.7% risk of rollover", the 4WD versions get 4 stars (which is on par with most midsize SUVs, of which I don't know any that get 5 stars) for a "16.7% risk of rollover", presumably due to the lower COG from the 4WD system.
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I knew they were full of it when I noticed none of them wearing PPE. Stupid.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Zero credibility what so ever, irresponsible reporting and incredibly misleading.

No where in the article do they mention they overloaded it beyond the manufacturer's weight limt, nor do they mention this test is not used to determine safety ratings and it is not even a real test. The fact that it could not be replicated speaks volumes about how the test was carried out.

Basically if you are barely literate, which I assume most of the people buying a $35-50k SUV are, then you should be able to read the weight limits and act in a reasonable manner when you load it.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

you can roll anything if you try hard enough.........
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
B93
1998 ZJ 

I think you'd really have to be trying to roll any Jeep. I've taken some corners surprisingly quickly in a ZJ and in a Liberty, neither want to flip.
B93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I had the "opportunity" to do an evasive maneuver followed by some 60MPH median-strip offroading in my WK on my way home from Carlisle, and I have to say I was quite impressed with the rig's handling. When I saw the event unfold in front of me I knew I had to head for the median, but I was pretty sure that swerving in time to miss the idiot that was spinning (or then straightening out on the slightly-banked median) was gonna roll the WK.. But no other choice.

No problem.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if you turn that hard and then over correct like that guy did you could roll anything going that fast. when it comes down to it if you drive stupid you get stupid results
ivester1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
srad711
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
if you turn that hard and then over correct like that guy did you could roll anything going that fast. when it comes down to it if you drive stupid you get stupid results
Agree!!! years back they did a similar test of a 3 series BMW. Turned hard one direction turned harder the other..... rolled the 3 series right over.
srad711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Gee, I bet the Volvo was the only one that passed the test

You hit the nail on the head ivester !
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol if they think that thing isn't safe they should ride down the highway with me in the tj. the whole first week I had it 65 mph was scary as hell
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
BManz
2011 WK 

Not sure if any of you are old enough to remember the NBC Dateline rigged "test" of GM's pickup trucks with side-saddle gas tanks, but they couldn't get the fuel tanks to explode following repeated impacts. So, to make the story fit their beliefs, they overfilled the fuel tank, left the gas cap loose, and added model rocket igniters to manually ignite fuel upon the "test" impact at the right time. Yeah, they got some flames, but no explosion and the flames quickly went out on their own. If I overloaded an M1 tank and did some wild maneuvers at freeway speeds I bet I could get it to roll too. All media has become so full of biased, lying s--t that it isn't worth watching anymore. Pathetic.
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
SPL170db

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronnblom View Post
Tekniks Värld is a Swedish motor magazine. They almost rolled a Grand Cherokee in a low speed evasive test:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest/

-J

In the comments section from that link lol

Y U no turn ESP on? D*mb f*cks.

EuroNCap ESC test:

youtu.be/MZHWN6U2t7I
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.