Jeep 2014 SRT off-road ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep 2014 SRT off-road ?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 10-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
darkhue

Question Jeep 2014 SRT off-road ?

To anyone who owns the new 2014 Jeep SRT, how low is the car ? Is there enough clearance to go off-road ?

My off-road definition : Desert sand dunes / go over road sidewalks / mild off-road (no rock climbing).

Can the SRT handle such terrain ?

darkhue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Really wanted the SRT, but neither tires are optimized for the harsh winters we have and didn't want to have to be changing to snow tires, so went with the more off road version (Limited with V8, ORA II, QD)
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
jimboteque1
2014 WK 

The '14 SRTs have been in showrooms for months.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
pwrdbym

I see that you are in the UAE. By off-road, do you mean mostly sand? I've spent plenty of time in your country and I don't remember seeing many boulders. If the only thing you want to do off road is dirt/sand roads, and some loose sand then the SRT will probably be fine. It will also work fine as an every day car assuming you want to pay the fuel bill, however in the UAE gas is relatively cheap, so you should be fine on that as well.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
darkhue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
I see that you are in the UAE. By off-road, do you mean mostly sand? I've spent plenty of time in your country and I don't remember seeing many boulders. If the only thing you want to do off road is dirt/sand roads, and some loose sand then the SRT will probably be fine. It will also work fine as an every day car assuming you want to pay the fuel bill, however in the UAE gas is relatively cheap, so you should be fine on that as well.
Yep currently in the UAE, and yes mainly sand, and dirt with small scattered rocks and bumps between pavements etc (many places are accessed via dirt roads since it's a desert ! ). I just want to make sure that I'm not purchasing an SUV that CAN'T go offroad on any level.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
ncsucarjock88

Your main limitation will be the tires. If you swap the tires, I imagine the character would be quite different. I presume that QL is on this model, and you can still raise it up enough to get over smaller obstacles.

Finding different tires to fit those rims may be a challenge - I don't know. I've never looked.
ncsucarjock88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The SRT does not have air adjustable suspension, its an active damping suspension. Soft off-roading is not an issue, however, and ground clearance is not that bad actually (better than most sedans and similar to say an X5). The only problem is the bouncy ride due to the firm suspension on very bumpy roads.. the run-flat tires are not the best off road.

BTW, there are certainly a couple better performance vehicles with some off road capability, but you could buy both an Overland and SRT for less money.
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
darkhue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsucarjock88 View Post
Your main limitation will be the tires. If you swap the tires, I imagine the character would be quite different. I presume that QL is on this model, and you can still raise it up enough to get over smaller obstacles.

Finding different tires to fit those rims may be a challenge - I don't know. I've never looked.
As coldcase mentioned, they have different suspension systems than the other models. I'll keep the tip you mentioned about the tires in mind, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The SRT does not have air adjustable suspension, its an active damping suspension. Soft off-roading is not an issue, however, and ground clearance is not that bad actually (better than most sedans and similar to say an X5). The only problem is the bouncy ride due to the firm suspension on very bumpy roads.. the run-flat tires are not the best off road.

BTW, there are certainly a couple better performance vehicles with some off road capability, but you could buy both an Overland and SRT for less money.
Hmm, yeah I figured that it won't be a smooth ride when compared to other JC models because of the suspension and non-adjustable height, but would it be THAT bad ?

What vehicles do you suggest ?? Ranger Rover (and now the new land rover evoque) are over-priced here.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

OP, I would suggest looking at a overland or summit with ORA II and a V8. You will get nice speed/performance from the V8 (I suppose the diesel could be considered as well.) That was with the ORA you will get 18" rims which will really help with airing down for sand. You will also get QL and skid plates.
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhue View Post
Hmm, yeah I figured that it won't be a smooth ride when compared to other JC models because of the suspension and non-adjustable height, but would it be THAT bad ?

What vehicles do you suggest ?? Ranger Rover (and now the new land rover evoque) are over-priced here.
Ride is subjective, take it slow enough the ride won't be that bad.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the only one I can think off that provides excellent on road and adequate soft off road capability in one package. Otherwise I think you are looking at two vehicles or a compromise. Compromises are subjective. You should test drive a SRT if you can.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
darkhue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
OP, I would suggest looking at a overland or summit with ORA II and a V8. You will get nice speed/performance from the V8 (I suppose the diesel could be considered as well.) That was with the ORA you will get 18" rims which will really help with airing down for sand. You will also get QL and skid plates.
The summit comes with 20'' rims I believe, that's what the dealer here has (they don't have custom options such as the ones available in the US, it's a take or leave it kind of deal ). Thanks for the advice though, will keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Ride is subjective, take it slow enough the ride won't be that bad.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the only one I can think off that provides excellent on road and adequate soft off road capability in one package. Otherwise I think you are looking at two vehicles or a compromise. Compromises are subjective. You should test drive a SRT if you can.
Porches here are WAY over priced due to demand as well. Anything german is priced more than american here (except for the viper). Speaking of full option cars that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Better off road than anything else. On road with the supercharged V8 can give the Cayenne a run for its money. Cayenne doesnt have a low range and chances are the OEM tires arent going to cut it the sand.

How long will you be in the UAE???

I would also check out the rep for service after the sale for Jeep, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and Range Rover and factor that into any buying decision.

Range Rover an dJeep will probably handle the climate better than anyone else unless you can afford a G wagon.
Will keep that in mind, thank you for the advice. Also, not leaving UAE anytime soon !
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
nyrhockey23

SRT =

Would love to own one. So badass.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 SRT. Ground clearance isn't really an issue, it's only 1" lower than the rest of the WK2s. It doesn't have Quadra-lift, so your ride height is static. It also has Select-TracK (not trac), meaning the center diff is design for the race tracK. Tow, Snow, Auto, Sport and Track modes only. No fancy "Sand" mode.

Your biggest challenges is the wheels. That's right, the wheels are the limiting factor, and indirectly the tires. The huge Brembo 6 piston race calipers in the front require SO much clearance that you need a massive 20x10" wheel with near +50mm offset. You'll never find a tire to fit that rim that has any sort of off-road capabilities. Even tires for that size are limited. Pirelli and a handful of other street performance tires. The "all-season" tire option is a Pirelli Scorpion Verde 295/45/ZR20, customized by Pirelli for SRT. The "all-season" is laughable. It's a street tire only.

Seriously consider an overland or summit instead if you're going to be getting into sand.

Matt
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
darkhue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
I have a 2014 SRT. Ground clearance isn't really an issue, it's only 1" lower than the rest of the WK2s. It doesn't have Quadra-lift, so your ride height is static. It also has Select-TracK (not trac), meaning the center diff is design for the race tracK. Tow, Snow, Auto, Sport and Track modes only. No fancy "Sand" mode.

Your biggest challenges is the wheels. That's right, the wheels are the limiting factor, and indirectly the tires. The huge Brembo 6 piston race calipers in the front require SO much clearance that you need a massive 20x10" wheel with near +50mm offset. You'll never find a tire to fit that rim that has any sort of off-road capabilities. Even tires for that size are limited. Pirelli and a handful of other street performance tires. The "all-season" tire option is a Pirelli Scorpion Verde 295/45/ZR20, customized by Pirelli for SRT. The "all-season" is laughable. It's a street tire only.

Seriously consider an overland or summit instead if you're going to be getting into sand.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I was waiting for someone who owns the 2014 SRT to reply !! Apart from sand dunes, the beast can handle mild-offroad (dirt, pavement crawling etc) without much of an issue right ?

Also, how is the engine's rumble inside the car (in-house noise or something ? ) ? Haven't really test-drove one so I don't know, but is it annoying for long drives ?
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Shame no one in the US is taking a WK2 SRT 8 and developing packages like this. They could stuff engine from a Viper in a WKII supercharge it and get around 1000hp.
Some talk in the more SRT track time oriented forums. WK folks with deep pockets used to do something like this, including adding a ford 9 inch rear end to handle the power. The IRS rear of the WK2 won't handle the power for very long, you' d need to rip it out an replace $$$$$$ perhaps a dana 60 ... wait we are getting way off topic here....

Recently there have been lots of complaints that a few posters here keep going way off topic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.