ISO Roof top cargo carrier info. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > ISO Roof top cargo carrier info.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
CALE262
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ISO Roof top cargo carrier info.

Just purchased 2015 CG Limited as a DD and road tripper. Looking at adding a cargo carrier on the roof and my CG came with no load bars so I am interested which is the best system (aftermarket or OEM) is to purchase and which cargo boxes people are happy with

TIA, Cale

Unread 04-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
bardram
2011 WK 

I bought the mopar rails and a thule carrier. I had the carrier from a previous vehicle. The set up works great.
bardram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
bardram
2011 WK 

forumrunner_20150402_201708.jpg
Unread 04-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
ShredX44
2014 WK 

Which carrier is that? Long and skinny, or the wide one? Thanks!
Unread 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
bardram
2011 WK 

It's the Thule Atlantis
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
FrogHut
2015 WK 

Does your Thule box rub against the roof antenna at all?
FrogHut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

I have the Mopar racks with a Yakima Skybox 18. I prefer the height of the Yakima boxes over Thule. Fits perfect and is easy for me to toss on top by myself. Not the best pic but hopefully, will give you a good idea.
image.jpg

Unread 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
justinyancey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know the answer varies a little, but how much can you load in one of the hard roof carriers. I am thinking of getting one. Can you load a mid size or large rolling suitcase. If so can you load more than one. I have never seen one in person. How much do those that already have one generally get packed up in it? What type of items have you loaded up.

Thanks
justinyancey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinyancey View Post
I know the answer varies a little, but how much can you load in one of the hard roof carriers. I am thinking of getting one. Can you load a mid size or large rolling suitcase. If so can you load more than one. I have never seen one in person. How much do those that already have one generally get packed up in it? What type of items have you loaded up.

Thanks
For the 18cf Skybox I can load up 3-day luggage bags along with several smaller bags around them (dog supplies, towels, blankets, hiking boots), skis, poles, a paper bag of groceries. I don't think you'd have a problem loading up two large 5-day luggage bags with room for smaller things to fill along the sides. I used to have the 21cf Skybox Pro on my Outback and I loaded that sucker up with some so much gear it was awesome. The 18cf does well for my wife and I and our two dogs.

If you install roof racks that screw into the flush rails like Mopar or Rhino, they are spaced far enough to give full support of the Thule or Yakima boxes without the nose of the carrier sticking way out over the front windshield (and the hatch doesn't hit the back). If you purchase the Thule or Yakima crossbars that attach to the door jams, I think the carrier would stick pretty far out front. That's just a guess on my part. Maybe someone with this setup can chime in.

If you are an REI member ($20 one time fee) they generally send out 20% off coupons twice a year. There is currently a 20% sale going on for members through April 13th. I used one each time I bought a carrier. They carry both Thule and Yakima lines.

http://www.rei.com/coupon
Unread 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
Ampt
2015 WK 

I'm not a huge fan of the closed top carriers so I just ordered the Gobi Roof Rack for my Jeep last week. I'll post some pictures once I get it on.
Ampt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
bardram
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHut View Post
Does your Thule box rub against the roof antenna at all?
I don't have the shark fin antenna. My 2011 has the stubby one, which I just take off when I have the carrier on.
Unread 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
bardram
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinyancey View Post

Thanks
I can and have fit a lot of stuff in it. Been a life saver for room. I can definitely fit 2 large suit cases plus extra stuff. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.