Installing roof side rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Installing roof side rails

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
danm125
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Installing roof side rails

Looking for assistance regarding installing roof rack side rails on my 2012 JGC. Vehicle came with black trim rails that are strictly cosmetic and I need to get the chrome production roof side rails installed that work with most cross bar systems (Mopar, Thule etc.) However I'm having a hard time getting good info from Jeep or dealers. The only comments I've seen on the forum is that it is a tricky job and could mess with side air bags. The post said that you have to drill out the rivnuts that hold the black trim side rails that came on the vehicle and I dont understand why that would be the case. Seems like the existing rivnuts should just screw out and you would simply install the "production" side rails. Any light you can shed on this issue would be appreciated.

danm125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
danm125
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

bump
danm125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think there was a post here about this topic a few weeks ago.

To install the rails as they do in the factory is a PITA. A clever guy, however, recently found that when you don't screw the existing end cap screws all the way in, leaving just enough that the cap will slide between the screw head and body with a bit of friction, it works out well. That and the rail screws clamping everything down is enough to hold the end caps in place, which are not load bearing anyway. There is no need to drill.

Once the end caps are slid into place and onto the ends of the rails, the rails can be tighten down with the provided hardware and everything is held securely in place. No fuss, about 30 minutes to an hour job. You may have to do this kind of thing yourself as it is not per Jeeps official instruction, although you may find an independent shop willing. Oh... some say to put some silicon around the screw holes to prevent leaks.

About post 61 of this thread contains photos:

http://www.**********.org/f176/side-...e-38906-6.html

***** = j e e p g a r a g e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.