Input on 2014 Jeep purchase - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Input on 2014 Jeep purchase

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuhulin View Post
I support the rental idea. In the past, I have been able to rent JGC's from Dollar. I rented a 328 from Hertz in Oakland a few months ago - never again!

The trans issue being raised does concern me - one of the principal reasons I am considering replacing my '05 limited is the new v6-8speed combo - for fuel economy - but if it's that unpleasant to drive, uggghhh.
If the tranny is so bad as someone else on here claims it should be obvious to you on a simple test drive. I think you will find the tranny and esp sport mode will be just fine. Report back and tell us what you think please

I will conceed that the tranny can bog down the engine at low speed. I dont really notice it much and the fuel econ makes up for it. You cant have it both ways. I get a kick out of the guy complaining now about lower mpg that they adjusted his tranny to rev higher, duh, sorry but come on

Sport mode is great for the times you want accel or stretch your legs and then quickly click out to resume great mpg

decide for yourself and dont listen to the negativity

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
You cant have it both ways. I get a kick out of the guy complaining now about lower mpg that they adjusted his tranny to rev higher, duh, sorry but come on
Like I've said 3 times now, I didn't want that, the update was supposed to fix rough shifts which at this time we haven't experienced but I figured it wouldnt hurt in the long run to have it done. If I would have known it was going to change the shift points I wouldn't have done it.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

All this technology and they still can't perfect the automatic transmission!
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #34
volvite
1999 WJ 

I have no input, but I'm in the market for a 2014 and wanted to hear the discussion.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Ken-G
2014 WK 

3,000 miles and no problems with the 8 speed trany. Again too many people trying to compare these vehicle to something it is not. Test drive a JK then talk about the transmission in the WK2 or the lack of sportiness. If you are looking for a BMW or Mercedes then this is not the vehicle for you, it is a real SUV and not a crossover.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #36
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

No single vehicle will meet all needs. You will find some haor splitters on here, take in it perspective

Not too many other swiss army knives out there like the WK2. I like to think of it as the common man's range rover. great on the street, very good off road, nice handling, etc.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #37
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
fwiw I have a early 2014 (april), my tranny is fine. yes it bogs down a bit at low speed from agressive shifting but if/when an issue it takes 0.5 sec to slam shift into sport mode and problem solved, I really done understand the problem

want mpg: leave it alone

want performance: use sport mode

pick one or rotate as needed

Everyone seems to forget the prior 5spd was nothing special at all, I had one
I disagree with you on your statement, I stayed away from the 14 purley because of that new clunker of an 8 speed does not seem to be anything too special either..But that is my opinion!
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post
I disagree with you on your statement, I stayed away from the 14 purley because of that new clunker of an 8 speed does not seem to be anything too special either..But that is my opinion!
And I stayed away from the Trailhawk b/c the the mpg, inferior crawl ratio, and my lack of satisfaction with the old school 5 spd, not to mention the aging rental car-ish electronics platform. But that is my opinion

I dont know where you get clunkish for the 8 spd, mine is great, great on the road, great off road

using the paddle shifters in hill descent control is sweet

I was able to get a '14 Ltd ORA II for LESS than a '13 v6 trailhawk, added my own all terrains and now rock rails on the way. I also disliked the hood decal but that is an easy fix I suppose
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
loveracing1988

Quote:

And I stayed away from the Trailhawk b/c the the mpg, inferior crawl ratio, and my lack of satisfaction with the old school 5 spd, not to mention the aging rental car-ish electronics platform. But that is my opinion

I dont know where you get clunkish for the 8 spd, mine is great, great on the road, great off road

I was able to get a '14 Ltd ORA II for LESS than a '13 v6 trailhawk, added my own all terrains and now rock rails on the way. I also disliked the hood decal but that is an easy fix I suppose
I don't think the mileage would be too much different between the two, but I agree with the rest.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:

I noticed this when I was test driving all the different Grands at the dealer, I could have purchased any Jeep on that lot I wanted too, and yes, I drove a '14 V-6 Overland the tranny just seemed to be all over the place when driving around, plus the power seemed to be very sluggish and slow too, so that ended that, I like power! I drove a HEMI with that crappy 6 speed you mentioned and just loved it, plus the Trailhawk is just sexy and good looking rig. I paid 36 K for my Trailhawk brand new, with every possible option you can get on the Trailhawk and your tellin' me that you got a 2014 Overland for less than 36k? The Trailhawk is a limited production run too, like the older 5.9's, there are no plans for a 14, 15, 16 model, ya there was a concept II at Moab last year that I saw when I was out wheelin around but when I talked to the Jeep people they said that the next Trailhawk will be in a Cherokee but thatís about it. So with all that said, I really do hope you enjoy your 14 Overland they are very nice rigs and according to you and your previous post that I have seen from you, far superior than anything else.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post

I noticed this when I was test driving all the different Grands at the dealer, I could have purchased any Jeep on that lot I wanted too, and yes, I drove a '14 V-6 Overland the tranny just seemed to be all over the place when driving around, plus the power seemed to be very sluggish and slow too, so that ended that, I like power! I drove a HEMI with that crappy 6 speed you mentioned and just loved it, plus the Trailhawk is just sexy and good looking rig. I paid 36 K for my Trailhawk brand new, with every possible option you can get on the Trailhawk and your tellin' me that you got a 2014 Overland for less than 36k? The Trailhawk is a limited production run too, like the older 5.9's, there are no plans for a 14, 15, 16 model, ya there was a concept II at Moab last year that I saw when I was out wheelin around but when I talked to the Jeep people they said that the next Trailhawk will be in a Cherokee but that’s about it. So with all that said, I really do hope you enjoy your 14 Overland they are very nice rigs and according to you and your previous post that I have seen from you, far superior than anything else.
He is talking about v6's, not v8's, the v6 5 speed combo was completely underpowered compared to the 8 speed. For that matter though I would never describe the 8 speed as sluggish in either the v6 or the v8. It makes the v6 feel like it has torque and my ram will light up the rear tires if I really get on it and turn the traction control off, I coukdnt do that nearly as good in the old 5/6 speed whatever they want to call it.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #42
Napoleon1982

Quote:
No single vehicle will meet all needs. You will find some haor splitters on here, take in it perspective

Not too many other swiss army knives out there like the WK2. I like to think of it as the common man's range rover. great on the street, very good off road, nice handling, etc.
If the "common man" was able to afford $38,000 (for a Laredo E 4x4) or $43k (for a Limited 4x4). Since when did the common man become wealthy?
I look at the JGC as a luxury SUV, honestly. Sure it doesn't have the name of a BMW/Audi/MB, etc, but it sure isn't what most middle class would consider "affordable."
Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #43
tarobapp
2014 WK 

Hello everyone, I am a month late to reply, but hopefully this will help. I have a 2012 Overland, black with the saddle interior. I am coming from an 2011 Acura MDX technology package. I had a 2007 Acura MDX before that and a 2009 Lexus RX 350 with Navi. All I can say is that I love my Overland. I honestly feel that it is a better SUV overall than both the SUV's I just mentioned. For the money, the Overland is hard to beat. I have already in 18 months put 33,000 miles on my Overland. The only problem I had was the panaramic sunroof started to rattle, so I took it into the dealership and there was a bulletin that mentions that the frame can start rattling, so they replaced it. The OVerland still drives great, no rattles and is really an amazing SUV. I plan on trading my 2012 Overland for a 2014 Overland, if I can get a good deal. I leased the 2012 Overland, putting $3,500 down which included first months payment, and my monthly is $470 plus tax. I do feel it is a luxury SUV. I mean, it has a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, ventilated front seats, and built in auto start. That is alot to put in an SUV for the price. Anyway, it is a great SUV (i have a v6 engine), and cruises quite easily on the highway with no trouble and a very nice ride.
tarobapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
Shub45

Thanks for mentioning the rattle in the sunroof. Ive been trying to figure mine out before i have them touch it. Checked everything. It sounded like it was inside and did it mostly pulling into my driveway on an angle. Hopefully thats it.
Shub45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
tarobapp
2014 WK 

yes, that is what mine did also and sounded like, something from the inside. Then, it started to rattle a lot more at slower speeds, than at higher speeds. There is a bulletin out, and it does take half a day to repair, fyi. Good luck. Mine got fixed and no problems afterwards.
tarobapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.