Input on 2014 Jeep purchase - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Input on 2014 Jeep purchase

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon1982 View Post
Assuming Jeep/Chrysler hasn't spent enough time testing it out completely.
They have not based on the production delays finally admitting after about 2 months it is because of the new transmission which they cannot get set up quite right yet.

The new 8-sp has its issues with rough upshifts and jerks too and they have been using it in other cars for some time now.

kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post

They have not based on the production delays finally admitting after about 2 months it is because of the new transmission which they cannot get set up quite right yet.

The new 8-sp has its issues with rough upshifts and jerks too and they have been using it in other cars for some time now.
They will be hitting lots within a month. Obviously they figured something out otherwise they wouldn't have released it. The problems with the grand Cherokee are a small number of total vehicle sales, I wish we would have never got the flash.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
pwrdbym

Quote:
What other cars/wagons would serve me better? I'm already checking out the Jeep Cherokee (when it arrives), Volvo V60 T5, and Subaru Forester XT (though it has a CVT which I am not a big fan of). Ford Escape was very comfortable when I sat in it at the NYC Auto Show and the interior materials were impressive, but I've heard some reliability issues with the new model.
Subaru Outback
Subaru Crosstrek XV
Subaru Imprezza 5-door
VW GTI (w/snow tires)
Mazda 3 5-door (w/snow tires)
BMW X1
Audi A4 Allroad
BMW X3
Audi A3
Mazda CX-5
Land Rover Evoque

Those are some off the top of my head, obviously they span different price categories, and some are more reliable than others. All of them would have better mpg and handling than the CG. I'm not knocking the CG at all, just seems like you are planning to use it for commuting and bad weather, not towing or off-roading so it may be wasted on you. But if you like them, then no one would give you any grief for buying one. Most people cruise around in SUVs as daily drivers towing nothing, never going off-road and paying more for gas. It wouldn't be a break from the norm!
I'd say spend a few weeks going on test drives only (don't even talk buying). After driving several models I think one will jump out at you as "the one". Good luck!
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Jerkfaced
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

Transmission

Quote:
My concern with the new Cherokee is the 9 speed transmission... In general, the first year of anything tend to have issues or quirks to work out. I do worry that the 9 speed tranny will have problems the first year until they work out everything. That is, assuming Jeep/Chrysler hasn't spent enough time testing it out completely.
If you haven't already done so, I'd definitely advise renting whatever you are interested in. I jumped the gun and bought a new 2014 limited a few months back, based purely on being a satisfied owner for years. I wish I would have rented one prior. Jumping up to an 8-speed transmission is hell, can only imagine it's worse with a 9. In my case of traveling a short distance on the freeway everyday, there are constantly construction issues. When the 8 speed is moving around a lot in the 0-15 mph (as you can imagine in a traffic jam) it's pretty damn jerky. At times it feels like you are towing a small car behind you and constantly snap the slack in the tow line.
It's great on gas but you pay for it at low speeds with jerky shifting. Looking back, I should have rented this vehicle for a month. Most of the places around me give a monthly rate that is about the equivalent of a lease payment on a nicely equipped Jeep. Would have saved me some headache.
By comparison, if you do not ever see yourself driving in a traffic jam then you'll likely never see this issue and be totally happy with an 8 or 9 speed transmission. It shifts extremely smooth under normal acceleration, the tach stays almost constant just under 2K when it's shifting and hardly registers on the needle.
Jerkfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
I wish we would have never got the flash.
Care to elaborate?
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
Napoleon1982

Jerkfaced, (ha, I laughed as I typed that)

I agree that renting for a few weeks is preferred because you can never tell from a test drive. I rent cars/suvs for work, but usually they are vehicles I wouldn't want (ie: I had a Nissan Rogue for 2 months... eww horrible vehicle, terrible drive). Problem is, most of the cars I'm looking at are not available at rental places, though apparently the JGC is available at Enterprise according to someone here. However, I've yet to find a place to rent out a Volvo S60 T5 AWD, BMW 328xi, BMW X1, Acura RDX, or Subaru Forester XT. Hertz has the Ford Escape, but only the base model, not the ecoboost (which is what I'd buy). Audi's are also not around rental places that I've seen, though I'd probably stay away from them since I've heard some bad stories about Audi's from owners.

As for traffic... I live in New Jersey so traffic happens. So, that is good to know about the 8 and 9 speed transmission.
Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Im a chevy guy and the GC really doesn't have an equal. Chevy only has crossovers except for the tahoe which is even bigger. Mines an 11 so the tranny isn't as bad. I wonder if hemi fever or anyone else will have a tune to help with the 8 and 9 speed transmissions?
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
They will be hitting lots within a month. Obviously they figured something out otherwise they wouldn't have released it. The problems with the grand Cherokee are a small number of total vehicle sales, I wish we would have never got the flash.
fwiw I have a early 2014 (april), my tranny is fine. yes it bogs down a bit at low speed from agressive shifting but if/when an issue it takes 0.5 sec to slam shift into sport mode and problem solved, I really done understand the problem

want mpg: leave it alone

want performance: use sport mode

pick one or rotate as needed

Everyone seems to forget the prior 5spd was nothing special at all, I had one
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #24
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post

Care to elaborate?
Because now instead of allowing me to cruise at 45 mph in 8th gear it stays in higher gears, which means we went from averaging 22 mpg to 21 mpg. We never had any issues with the trans so I should have just left it alone.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post

We drove 2 different 5 speeds. We would have never bought one of those, they are way to underpowered at speeds below 40 mph.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Because now instead of allowing me to cruise at 45 mph in 8th gear it stays in higher gears, which means we went from averaging 22 mpg to 21 mpg. We never had any issues with the trans so I should have just left it alone.
That's why I'm not having it done. Dealer service won't do the flash unless you complain about the shifting. My JGC shifts just fine. I rarely take it out of eco mode. If I need more zip for merging or passing I pop it into sport mode. I drive with my hand resting on the shifter (old habit from driving standards), so it's not at all an inconvenience.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
Jerkfaced
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
fwiw I have a early 2014 (april), my tranny is fine. yes it bogs down a bit at low speed from agressive shifting but if/when an issue it takes 0.5 sec to slam shift into sport mode and problem solved, I really done understand the problem

want mpg: leave it alone

want performance: use sport mode

pick one or rotate as needed

Sport mode doesn't help one bit, actually makes it worse. As soon as you reach a higher rpm to shift out then have to slow down a few seconds later you need to shift down again. Shifting up and down through gears 1-3 is jerky even manually. If you try to play the middle and use second gear in traffic (avoiding 1st) you get a minimal difference. Ride the lower gears too much trying to avoid the shift and the trans just slows you down when you ease off the gas. No matter what it's a bit of a roller coaster at lower speeds.

Thought it might be just mine so I went and test drove the same model at three different dealers, all three produced the same results. Sadly, when trying to minimize the effect using sport mode in stop and go speeds, the Jeep threw the service light and sport mode failed. You could engage sport mode but it would pop back over to drive mode as soon as it was shifted.

I think it's best to just deal with it and leave it in drive. Sport mode is pretty useless unless you have the SRT8 or your in need of it in those pesky few situations. My wife's last car was an '09 Subaru Forester turbo, that's a car where sport mode makes sense, the power in the higher RPM's is remarkable, same as the SRT8. Just couldn't bring myself to spend the $65K.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfaced View Post

Sport mode doesn't help one bit, actually makes it worse. As soon as you reach a higher rpm to shift out then have to slow down a few seconds later you need to shift down again. Shifting up and down through gears 1-3 is jerky even manually. If you try to play the middle and use second gear in traffic (avoiding 1st) you get a minimal difference. Ride the lower gears too much trying to avoid the shift and the trans just slows you down when you ease off the gas. No matter what it's a bit of a roller coaster at lower speeds.

Thought it might be just mine so I went and test drove the same model at three different dealers, all three produced the same results. Sadly, when trying to minimize the effect using sport mode in stop and go speeds, the Jeep threw the service light and sport mode failed. You could engage sport mode but it would pop back over to drive mode as soon as it was shifted.

I think it's best to just deal with it and leave it in drive. Sport mode is pretty useless unless you have the SRT8 or your in need of it in those pesky few situations. My wife's last car was an '09 Subaru Forester turbo, that's a car where sport mode makes sense, the power in the higher RPM's is remarkable, same as the SRT8. Just couldn't bring myself to spend the $65K.
Never one time in 4500 miles have we ever had a shift where it jerked, so you must have found 4 different lemons or something. Sport mode is not for everyday use but serves a very good purpose for pulling out into traffic or a winding road. If you posted a video of this maybe we could compare it to someone on here to see if it is normal or not.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Jerkfaced
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

I rather not hijack Napoleon's thread, but since the trans is part of the question raised; three separate dealer demos, and the two I own (wife's included) drive the same. Pretty sure it's not me or lemons as well as a half dozen other forums with many users reporting all of the same jerky downshifts, here for example **********.org/f73/8-speed-transmission-review-60033.html (I can't post links, the **** are Jeep Garage dot ORG)
From my perspective those that don't have the issue seem to be the minority or are able to avoid the criteria causing it. Thankfully a few users have posted that they have seen improvements following some service at their dealer.

I wouldn't give sport mode on this SUV that much credit either, where I live I have long, straight and flat roads nearby. With my friend driving my wife's in drive and myself using drive in mine, her 8cyl beats my 6 to 60 by a second, if I switch to sport mode I can close the gap but not quite get even. Trimming the time by 10-12% seems huge but it still equates to less than a second and in a world where we normally drive 0-65mph, it isn't as measurable as it seems.

No matter, I do still love the JGC and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't use it to commute. My wife commutes twice as far and says it bothers her enough that she stopped to look at the new Mercedes CLA. Price came out to be barely more than her JGC so now I can't seem to talk her into keeping hers. On the plus side, I'll take her 8 and let the v6 go.
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Cuhulin
2005 WK 

I support the rental idea. In the past, I have been able to rent JGC's from Dollar. I rented a 328 from Hertz in Oakland a few months ago - never again!

The trans issue being raised does concern me - one of the principal reasons I am considering replacing my '05 limited is the new v6-8speed combo - for fuel economy - but if it's that unpleasant to drive, uggghhh.
Cuhulin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.