Input on 2014 Jeep purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Input on 2014 Jeep purchase

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Napoleon1982

Input on 2014 Jeep purchase

This is my first post here and hoping to get some good information! (I'm already a member on forums for Acura, BMW, and Volvo... just add Jeep to the list )

I have been shopping for a new vehicle for quite some time because I insist on doing an excessive amount of research. The Jeep GC was originally on my list, since I drove a 1999 JGC my senior year of HS and loved it. However, I heard some bad reviews from owners about Jeeps with multiple problems (everything from electronics to engine).

I figured this forum would be the best place to gather information on the newer JGC's, to help me decide if its worth my money (they surely aren't cheap!)

I am quite curious to check out the new Jeep Cherokee when it arrives. I hated the design when I saw it at the NY Auto Show, but the more I look at it, the more it has been growing on me. Not to mention I can drive away in one for $8k less.

Thanks everyone!

Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
steveinaz
2011 WK 

All I can tell you, from my personal experience, is that 2011 V6 Laredo 4x4 has been excellent. 21k miles currently.
Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Forums typically gather folks together that have issues, so there is some bias toward the vehicle being a problem. 99% of the folks don't have an issue.

The WK2 is a well put together heavy small SUV. All jeeps are expensive, except the base cost leaders, and have a few quirks because their focus is more on un-compromised go everywhere capability vs perfect harmony. The WK2 is an exceptional value when compared to direct competitors. It is more of a truck, if thats what you need, where the Cherokee is more of a car that is based on the Dodge Dart platform.

Value is subjective, but if you need a go anywhere type tow vehicle that has great manners on the highway and city, then you are not going to do better than the WK2. They have proven to be reliable, a few 2014s seem to have initial gremlins with their updated electronics subsystem.

If you really only need a car, there may be other options. You have to decide what you want and then go after the best value for you. If you are just looking for value regardless of your need, a loaded WK2 is an exceptional value for what you get.

I have near 40K miles on my 2011 and has only been to the shop for scheduled maintenance.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
hemispin
2014 WK 

OP, please clarify whether you're interested in a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. They are significantly different.
hemispin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Napoleon1982

Re: Grand Cherokee vs Cherokee.... Honestly, I am not sure yet! I don't go off roading, nor do I tow. I was leaning towards getting a car instead of an SUV, but the utility aspect intrigues me. I am an avid snowboarder so in the winter I am always hauling my snowboard gear up into the mountains. I live in NJ, so I am not climbing the Rockies! But I am constantly finding myself in the Poconos or driving up to Vermont. With the sometimes poorly paved mountain roads, I need something that will get me there safely (and carry my board and equipment). Also, for work, I am an environmental scientist so I carry coolers and equipment so a larger trunk area of an SUV is preferred over a car (which cannot fit much).

I do not know much about the new Cherokee, but I can say I LOVE the interior feel of the GRAND Cherokee. It feels luxurious and upscale and the size makes me feel incredibly safe and confident. However, if the Cherokee turns out to be a good vehicle with a decent AWD system (again, not off roading, but need something thats good in snow/ice and gravel roads), then it can be an option.

I am not set on whether I am leaning towards a car or SUV. I am simply comparing the vehicles and deciding which one feels right. If I end up with a sedan I am leaning towards the Volvo S60 T5 (which has a decent AWD system for a car) or a BMW 328i Xdrive.... Also looking at wagons like the Subaru Forester XT and Volvo V60 T5. And as for SUVs there are the "SAVs" which is the Cherokee, Acura RDX, Ford Escape (with turbo),and BMW X1. Or the true SUV which the Grand Cherokee stands alone without much good competition.

I know a lot about Volvos, Acuras, and BMWs, but I know very little about modern Jeeps since I haven't driven one since we got rid of the 99 GC in 2001. When it comes to vehicles, I'm always in the opinion of the more information the better!
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I see many rentals(2014 JGCs) on the road.

Since its been a while since you have driven one, maybe a weekend rental would give your more info.

I love my 2012 Limited.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Napoleon1982

That would be ideal... except I don't know where to rent one. I know Hertz doesn't have them in their fleet.
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Try Enterprise. I read that they have them in their fleet.
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Napoleon1982

Thanks for the input! I will try Enterprise and see what they have
The only question that remains is long term reliability that renting a 2014 JGC for a week or two won't answer. I've been spoiled driving an Acura the past 7 years because after 181,000 miles its still running strong without any issues. In fact, I've never had to put any major work into it besides the required maintenance. The reason for all this research is to make sure the next vehicle I get can give me similar reliability.

Is there any information on the Cherokee (besides the basics on the website) that have been released? Has any reviewer had a chance to test drive and give a preview prior to release?
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
pwrdbym

I'm a die hard BMW guy and would like a X5D but a 3 year old one was as much as my 2013 JCG Overland brand new. Since it had a full warranty it was an easy decision. I'm not sold on the reliability aspect either, however for the money you can get into a brand new GC for well under the Volvo, Acura, BMW, etc... The Japanese brands will likely be more reliable, but Euro brands aren't going to be any worse than the Jeep. I purchased the GC b/c I need to tow. It sounds like you just need some all weather capability. I like the Jeep's but there are many AWD cars/wagons that may serve your needs better, with better mpg and handling.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Napoleon1982

What other cars/wagons would serve me better? I'm already checking out the Jeep Cherokee (when it arrives), Volvo V60 T5, and Subaru Forester XT (though it has a CVT which I am not a big fan of). Ford Escape was very comfortable when I sat in it at the NYC Auto Show and the interior materials were impressive, but I've heard some reliability issues with the new model.
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
kens97sto171

If you don't need to tow.. or go off road. I would look at a Subaru Outback. Its available in several trim levels. Basic to pretty loaded. And also a couple engine choices. I think it still has the non CVT trans in the 6 cyl model. But u will have to check. Awesome in the snow. And pretty good ground clearances. Also its built in the USA if that matters to you.
If smaller is OK. There is a more off road version of the Impreza. Good clearance and pretty good mileage.
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Why do you need AWD?

If you dont go off road a 3 series with 4 good winter tires will get you anywhere you need to go in NJ.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Napoleon1982

Dave... yes, it will. But a well equipped 3 series will be in the mid 40k range. Plus, if I got a sedan with AWD I would lean towards the Volvo S60 T5. Drove both, Volvo actually felt better.

The question really is, if I decide that I want the extra utility (ie: space for my snowboard... or space for my work equipment), then a wagon or SUV fits the bill better. Seems from what I gather here, the JGC isn't worth getting if I'm not towing anything. I agree, in general, though I put the JGC on the list because I think the interior is top notch.

I am very curious to see how the new Cherokee drives and how the initial reviews read. I know some hate the look, but that doesn't bother me much. I spend my time inside the vehicle behind the wheel, not outside I care much more about what the interior looks like, than the exterior. Plus, my girlfriend is the one who picks cars based on looks. I pick based on performance and comfort.
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Napoleon1982

My concern with the new Cherokee is the 9 speed transmission... In general, the first year of anything tend to have issues or quirks to work out. I do worry that the 9 speed tranny will have problems the first year until they work out everything. That is, assuming Jeep/Chrysler hasn't spent enough time testing it out completely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.