Impressions after 2500 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Impressions after 2500 miles

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
Gonavy629
2011 WK 

Impressions after 2500 miles

Not sure if this has been provided before but I wanted to give you some impressions after 2500 miles. The miles are a mixture of city, suburbs and two long road trips. For reference, I have a Stone White Overland, Dark/Light frost beige interior, Hemi, tow package and rear entertainment system. I'll start with the negatives.

Negatives:
It's really hard to come up with any but here are a few that I chalk up to any vehicle could have them.
1. Passenger side washer sprayer leaks after use and pools fluid around the sprayer then runs down the hood. Not a big problem except my Jeep is Stone White and it stains it blue. Should be an easy fix by dealer.
2. Iphone 4 works sporadically with 730N RER, even with the 4.2 software iOS...hopefully this will get worked out.
3. On one of my road trips, I had the NAV tracking correctly, then I notice a sea of blue heading down from the top of the NAV...as if I was driving into the ocean...lol. I changed the distance setting and it cleared up.
4. Also on 3D view of the NAV, any distance that is .5 miles or greater creates a white space at the top of the NAV screen. Not sure if this is normal but I've never had a NAV system do that before....it's just a little annoying.
5. The plastic backing on the front seats seems to be warping and now there is at least a 1/4" gap on the top part. It wasn't there when I bought it but the temp has since dropped and the plastic may be warping...not sure.
6. The biggest negative for me, and it doesn't bother the better half, is the bright green headlamp indicator at night. It is way too bright and becomes distracting at times. Wish there was a way that the dimmer control would work for those indicators.
7. I think the green lights on the controls are a little dated and would prefer a more subdued white lighting like the instrument cluster but this is really pushing it on a negative.
8. Supplied ipod cable in cubby hole requires you to remove the iphone from its case.

Now on to the positives:
1. I have the hemi and it is truly smoother and better than the previous hemi I owned in a charger. The MDS is much smoother and engages more often
2. Acceleration is great considering this is a 5000+ lbs vehicle. I sprinted around semi and merge onto highways with ease.
3. I'm 6'2, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in a car I've owned. I don't feel like I have to constantly adjust like I do in other vehicles.
4. This is the most quite vehicle I've ever owned. The did an outstanding job with the noise isolation. In fact is so well insulated, that I sometimes feel it gets a little warm in the cabin with everyone's body heat...lol.
5. Best feature..for me...heated steering wheel...really warms your entire body on a very cold morning.
6. Reclining rear seats a a big positive for my family. We are a tall family and it puts us at a better sitting position and the seats in the rear are very comfortable and leg room is superb. Our knees just touch the front seats but its not uncomfortable.
7. Cargo area is good. I've owned a Yukon before and although its not as much as the Yukon, its still more than enough for my needs with the back seats folded down.
8. Love the intelligent high beams that go back to low when it senses oncoming headlights...no more flicking the stick back and forth!!
9. Interior design is superb. Controls are easy to manipulate and see.
10. Acceleration, handling, rider comfort all seem to work in harmony. Road feedback is perfect, steering feel is perfect and this thing can turn in a very tight radius.

Overall impressions: I've owned many vehicles, american to imports, and I have to honestly say this is probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned in terms of comfort, handling, luxury and capability. I've haven't had the opportunity to utilize the off road capability yet but I'm confident it won't disappoint in that area. I hear a lot of people say that Chrysler quality is horrible...and that was once true. But I think American manufactures have closed the gap on the imports. Are there some issues...sure, but that happens with a new model. Overall I think Chrysler/Jeep hit a home run on this vehicle.

Fuel Mileage: Highway 20.1 on average
City, 15.5 on average
Mixed, 17.3 on average
I only use 89 Octane.

Long term concerns: This is neither a negative nor a positive but I have long term concerns over the power lift gate. Personally I don't like the power lift gate, I don't think its necessary, but to me the motors seem like they strain when opening and closing so only time will tell if they are durable.

Final Verdict: I can't provide enough compliments to how well designed, and improved this vehicle is. Hands down the best vehicle I've owned. Then negatives are more nit picky than really negatives but wanted to provide my impressions. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a new ride. It's a prefect vehicle to handle anything that is thrown at it. Well done Jeep!!!

Gonavy629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
JTS97Z28

Very nice write up thanks so much for taking the time to do all that. It really is a big help especially to people like myself that is looking to purchase a Overland in the not to distant future.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

minivans have auto open and close side doors, motor also sounds like they strain, "fathers van" has been problem free for close to seven years.
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
IndyBob
2011 WK 

Great writeup. I am waiting on my Overland which should be here next week. I appreciate your concern about the lift gate. I am going to get the extended warranty because of all the new and electronic stuff.

Have fun and keep up posted on anything else you discover.
IndyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

I must say, i like this post, and well just makes me feel better about getting a WK2
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonavy629 View Post
6. The biggest negative for me, and it doesn't bother the better half, is the bright green headlamp indicator at night. It is way too bright and becomes distracting at times. Wish there was a way that the dimmer control would work for those indicators. Well done Jeep!!!
Use the special dimmer to take care of that.
You get a fine point green marker, turn the lights on, start touching up with ink the lit areas till you dim it to a brightness that makes sense to you.
It got to my nerves the first day I bought it, by the second day, no problem.If you don't like a permanent fix, cover it with tape. Personally I have no use for this light at all. If it was not there, I would never miss it.
jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
newjeeper11
2011 WK 

Nice write up there. We too have an Overland 4x4 with the Hemi and it is a superb vehicle to drive, ride in, and even look at-the damn thing is gorgeous to me and that is hard to say about an SUV!!! I'll have to check the back of our seats for the problem you mentioned... So far we have about 2500 miles as well and haven't done better than like 18.5 mpg on a long road trip to the Omaha Zoo, but the Jeep was very new at that time so I expect mileage to improve as the engine/trans. are broke in. Every new car that I've owned seems to get better mpg with a little age.

One thing though that I can't really understand is the use of the 5-speed transmission? For such a new vehicle and one brand new engine(V6) you think that the GC would get at least a 6-speed auto, right? The current transmission is fine for the big Hemi but I am hopeful that future model years will get a 6 or even 8 speed auto. In a year or two I think we'll get a second GC in Laredo V6 trim for my daily driver and the 6 speed would really unlock some more power in that engine. I drive a C350 Mercedes right now and although a bit underpowered compared to some competitors it is nearly as fast due to the sweet 7-speed auto it has so a great transmission can make a car quicker indeed.

Overall though really nothing to gripe about, our Overland is a ton of truck for the money and that damn thing is sexy! Ha ha
newjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.