Ideas on protecting WK2 against scratches when offroading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Ideas on protecting WK2 against scratches when offroading

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
ImportfromtheD

Ideas on protecting WK2 against scratches when offroading

Hey everybody, we have a 2014 JGC Ltd 4X4 and are looking forward to doing some light off-roading here in NV, AZ area. We'd like to avoid the scratches we'll get from bushes, etc on the trail. Anybody know of any good ideas (like removable magnetic body panels, etc) that fit a WK2 that we could use when off-roading and help keep the family car looking good? Not so much an issue with a JK, but we use our Jeep as our everyday ride, too. As always, any help (aside from suck it up - it's a Jeep would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ImportfromtheD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
46er
2014 WK 

3M makes a spray on plastic protectant that is removable. Meant for the hood stone protection, but should work anywhere there aren't many body details. Can't recall the name.
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
XJ2WK2
2011 WK 

There's nothing I'm aware of specific for our WK2's. I have quite a bit of pinstriping from following some JK's/TJ's down trails.

There are options for a spray on film, don't know anyone who has done it. Some guys in the local jeep club use these:http://www.rigrubbers.com/ but they don't make anything for our WK2's

Curious to hear if there are any other options
XJ2WK2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
kryogen

honestly, I wouldnt offroad anywhere that could scratch a car that you would not want to scratch.... because you will scratch it.
kryogen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
polizei

For "light" scratches, I would think the 3M clear film would be thick enough to work...
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
kagmcp1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportfromtheD
Hey everybody, we have a 2014 JGC Ltd 4X4 and are looking forward to doing some light off-roading here in NV, AZ area. We'd like to avoid the scratches we'll get from bushes, etc on the trail. Anybody know of any good ideas (like removable magnetic body panels, etc) that fit a WK2 that we could use when off-roading and help keep the family car looking good? Not so much an issue with a JK, but we use our Jeep as our everyday ride, too. As always, any help (aside from suck it up - it's a Jeep would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A friend mentioned to me once, that he keeps in his 4x4 a cheap set of tree trimmers in the back oh his FJ. Of course it would mean getting out or sending the significant out there. However, it can make friends as well behind you in a group.
kagmcp1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Clirry
2014 WK 

If you want to save the paint itself... probably good idea to throw a plasti dip coat then peel it off after off roading if money isn't the issue.
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
ImportfromtheD

Hey thanks for the feedback everybody! I did find the 3M Paint Defender Spray Film on Amazon. I'm going to give it a try and then let you know how it goes!
ImportfromtheD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
eibyer

Brushes in AZ are unforgiving lol, good thing my GC is white. The pinstripes on the black plastics are hard to hide though.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
SUMMIT2014
2014 WK 

"Bush" provided pinstripes on black plastic cover nicely using the standard touch-up paint from dealer. Prob work for other colors as well. (scratched in CO, CA, AZ ...) Also - I don't really care too much as it proves my Summit isn't just a pretty face who only goes clubbing....
SUMMIT2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
eibyer

I have the black part on the side of the pillar scratched up deep (not worth the touch up) and I do consider it as an experience stripe
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.