I want my tires black, not pimp-fabulous - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > I want my tires black, not pimp-fabulous

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 08-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Erikasjgc

Is there silicone in all tire dressings? Is it in trim gells too? Does it really dissolve tires? I haven't had time to detail my "blacks" the past three weeks but I've noticed a brown dirty spotty look to my tires as I walked past them. I've taken no time the last few drives to really look closely, but when I go down to drive it today I'm gonna look real close - just dirt, or rubber damage? I'm very tired now so I could just be losing it.....
I use Auto Glym products for those who wanna know and don't read the whole list. I'm not a fan of Armor All.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Erikasjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
jacko15
2014 WK 

I use Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel: http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ereg-tire-gel/
No silicone and long lasting. Looks like this when applied.
tire.jpg

jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikasjgc View Post
Is there silicone in all tire dressings? Is it in trim gells too? Does it really dissolve tires? I haven't had time to detail my "blacks" the past three weeks but I've noticed a brown dirty spotty look to my tires as I walked past them. I've taken no time the last few drives to really look closely, but when I go down to drive it today I'm gonna look real close - just dirt, or rubber damage? I'm very tired now so I could just be losing it.....
I use Auto Glym products for those who wanna know and don't read the whole list. I'm not a fan of Armor All.

No, not all tire shine products contain silicone. It usually doesn't say it contains silicone on the label, you've gotta contact the manufacturer's technical department, they'll tell you if it contains silicone. Don't ask them what's in it, they probably won't give away their trade secrets, but if you ask if it contains silicone, they should tell you yes or no.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Jacko---thanks, your tires look just right.
Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

I love ultima products. The tire gel you can layer for a glossy look or just do one layer for a normal rubber look. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-7012-120.html
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Kean_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikasjgc View Post
The original Armor All formula contained dimethal silicone fluids (DMS; solvent based). By around the late 80's they changed their product to a water based formula containing polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). Many dressings/protectants these days use the same PDMS component.

The bad reputation AA received back in the 80's has stuck with them even today with some folks. The DMS in their product was blamed for accelerating the release of plasticizers from vinyl and rubber components causing those surfaces to "dry out". IIRC, there was even a lawsuit which likely prompted them to change the formula. In either case, the AA formulation since the late 80's/early 90's was changed to one that was water based like many other dressings/protectants today.

In Jacko’s case, the Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel he mentioned actually does contain silicone. ….DIMETHYLSILOXANE to be exact (the same DMS variant I describe above).

As far as these products actually “dissolving” your tires, I don’t know if I would use that as a description….. Tires contain a key component called an antiozonant. The purpose of this component is to help protect the rubber from drying out, cracking, etc. As you drive your car, the antiozonant from your tires migrates its way to the surface of the rubber. The result of this migration can sometimes be seen as a brownish layer/residue that appears on your sidewalls which is caused by a reaction when the chemical meets the air (often referred to as blooming). DMS based dressings have been blamed for accelerating the loss of this material from the rubber causing premature damage in some scenarios (perhaps visible as excessive “blooming”).

This “blooming” process is completely normal although some tires can be “worse” than others IME. I say “worse” (in quotes) because this component actually protects the tire yet the by product is not particularly desirable from an aesthetic point of view. Many of us will clean it off and add a dressing/protectant instead. ….I do it as well although I prefer to stick with water based products to help mitigate any potential problems.
Kean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
t-ray-foret
2011 WK 

Superior cover all. I am a tire shine junky lol I try different ones weekly I use 3 to 4 cans a week on my f-250 because I shine the insides and out of the tires the whole CHassi and suspension. And bumpers. The guys at orileys know me well so they recommended this stuff takes one coat you can spray on and drive right away not to shiny and last along time drove in a weeks worth of rain and the were still a deep black shine it's popular when it hits the shelves it goes quick so I buy up to 6 cans at a time
image-4229353153.jpg

image-334037557.jpg

image-2928662707.jpg

t-ray-foret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
kkreit01

^ That's a little too shiny for my taste.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #24
Erikasjgc

Thanks for the great info Kean_1.

Now I'm thinking; maybe, for additional antioxidant protection, I could put some vitamin E on my tires.
Too far?

Erikasjgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.