I want my tires black, not pimp-fabulous - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > I want my tires black, not pimp-fabulous

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
steveinaz
2011 WK 

I want my tires black, not pimp-fabulous

What product(s) is out there that returns rubber to black, with being pimp-shiney. I HATE the "wet" look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
mx71
2013 WK 

Armor-All
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
eibyer

I've been meaning to try the 303 from Amazon, other users like it.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
StaticFX

firm bristle brush and soap should do it i think...or just wait a few weeks...
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
jeffreybehr
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
I've been meaning to try the 303 from Amazon, other users like it.
Unless one applies it thickly, 303 Protectant works very well at blacking tires but not making them shiny. I prefer Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss, and 'Gloss' in its name is an exaggeration.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Cool, thanks fellas.
Tow package
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
plynn7
2014 WK 

I have been using this for years, works really well on cleaning tires. You can pick it up a Walmart.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2420273
plynn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Erikasjgc

I love all the Auto Glym products! A little bit more $, but a little goes such a long way it ends up being cheaper) The Bumper and Trim Gel is amazing stuff - all my exterior black trim looks like brand new - and my JGC is a 2011. Every one of their products works extremely well, is long lasting and easy to use. The interior use products are anti-static too so it's quick and easy to dust with just a Swiffer duster - my Jeep still looks brand new inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Erikasjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Webb
2012 WK 

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plynn7 View Post
I have been using this for years, works really well on cleaning tires. You can pick it up a Walmart.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2420273
Yes, that is THE BEST to clean tires. I need to go pick some up. Be sure to wear rubber gloves; that stuff is strong and can hurt your skin.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
kkreit01

Surf City Garage Beyond Black, No Touch Original Satin (white can), Stoners More Shine (1 Coat for satin finish), Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish to name a few OTC.

Or, you can use any glossy cr@p. Spray it on first thing -- before you start rinsing/washing your Jeep. By the time you've sprayed all tires, go back to the first, and hose it off. This will leave a satin finish. If your tires need cleaning, clean them first, then spray on glossy cr@p while tires are wet, let soak for 30 secs, and then hose off.

With any of the above, if you follow up with a final wipe with a cloth, it will help to remove any remaining glossy residue, and leave a nice, matte/satin -black finish.

I typically use the Whestleys' 1-2x per year. That stuff is pretty harsh, but it does work excellent to clean after a nasty winter.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Thank you!
Tow package
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Another recommendation for Westley's Bleche-Wite. I've been using it since cars actually had whitewall tires (1982 Chrysler LeBaron and 1986 Chevy Celebrity.) It give black rubber a nice clean look with a dull finish.

I never use gloves but it's nasty stuff to breathe in if you are trying to wash your ride on a windy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Yes, that is THE BEST to clean tires. I need to go pick some up. Be sure to wear rubber gloves; that stuff is strong and can hurt your skin.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
Another recommendation for Westley's Bleche-Wite. I've been using it since cars actually had whitewall tires (1982 Chrysler LeBaron and 1986 Chevy Celebrity.) It give black rubber a nice clean look with a dull finish.

I never use gloves but it's nasty stuff to breathe in if you are trying to wash your ride on a windy day.
I've been using Bleech-White for many many years on all my vehicles. Just some advice, though. Don't spray it on a dry tire. That stuff is strong. Wet the tire first with the garden hose, let the excess water run off, then spray the Bleech-White on the tire. Scrub the tire with a stiff nylon brush, then rinse it off. you'll probably have to do this more than once on shiny tires, but the end result is a clean, black tire. There's something I also do on my antique cars after the Bleech-White treatment - I apply a coating of "Mop-n-Glo" on each tire. it gives the surface a low lustre protection, but doesn't allow the black rubber to disolve and migrate onto the whitewall, as Armorall does (it's the silicone). No need to worry about this on a blackwall, or on a Jeep for that matter, but if you've got a car with whitewalls, it's a real cure for brownwalls.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Adam's VRT - goes on easily, and is clean right away - no greasy feel - low gloss. I also hate the plasticky looking high-shine crap.
Armor All is junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.