I bought an October build Summit - anything I should update? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > I bought an October build Summit - anything I should update?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
srs148

I bought an October build Summit - anything I should update?

So I was at the dealer last Saturday ready to buy and had a choice between a Jan 14 build with CD Player (which I dont need and eats up most of the already small space in the center console) or an Oct build with no CD Player. Or I could order, which I really didn't want to do since they had my color combo in stock and ready to roll.

A friend at work said to get a Dec or later build bc there was some sort of update to the tranny firmware in November that improved something. Is this accurate? If so, given that I haven't noticed anything with regard to clanks or erratic shifting, should I really seek to have this upgrade done? Does it make a discernable difference in performance or acceleration?

srs148 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Here are the TSBs for the JGC.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
srs148

Scheduled an appointment to get the TCM updated. Thanks!
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
loveracing1988

Yes there was an update in December but it is just software, so either build would work as both of them would be running the same software in every system. The update didn't change the performance aspect it was more for smoothness of the shifts, and to change the performance when really cold. It also was supposed to help with the 2nd to 1st downshift clunk or lunge that people had experienced. It was actually a very helpful update, IMO the best one so far.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
srs148

I honestly haven't noticed the clunking, but then again I only have 250 miles on it at the moment. In any case, I figured I'd get ahead of it and just get it done now.
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Just had the software update done on my June build Overland V6 and it took 2 hours at the dealership. Results are very good......shifts better from 2 to 1.... Even though it was never very bad after the first 1000 miles. Also had the update done on the 911 system . 4000 miles now....all systems go.
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
srs148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Just had the software update done on my June build Overland V6 and it took 2 hours at the dealership....
whoa, two hours!? I was planning on waiting as the TSB says .2 hours install time... maybe it took your service dept that long to figure out how to apply it
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs148 View Post
whoa, two hours!? I was planning on waiting as the TSB says .2 hours install time... maybe it took your service dept that long to figure out how to apply it
It would'nt surprise me if they use a dial up connection to perform the updates. But sometimes the updates do take a real long time. When I had my 2010 BMW M3, I once had to leave it overnight for some updates. They need to find a faster way to do the updates.
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
PhillyAnt

Lincoln would send me a USB flash drive in the mail for any required updates. It was a really nice perk. If you owned a Ford you would have to go to the dealer for the update. Hopefully I won't miss my Lincoln too much when I get my Summit.
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Lincoln would send me a USB flash drive in the mail for any required updates. It was a really nice perk. If you owned a Ford you would have to go to the dealer for the update. Hopefully I won't miss my Lincoln too much when I get my Summit.
Those were radio updates, not transmission and such updates. For the Uconnect radio's on these you can do it yourself through, just download to a usb and install it yourself.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
PhillyAnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Those were radio updates, not transmission and such updates. For the Uconnect radio's on these you can do it yourself through, just download to a usb and install it yourself.
Good to know. Thanks!
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.