How is WK2 off road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How is WK2 off road?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

How is WK2 off road?

What I really want is a Rubicon, but due to seat issues (it's a long story), they likely won't work. I did a search, but could not find much on the WK2 off road. I am not a rock climber, mostly into getting into nature. Thanks.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
steveinaz
2011 WK 

Hit youtube and search 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ton's of off-road videos.
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
Hit youtube and search 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ton's of off-road videos.

Great tip. Here is a good one:

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

They're ok for light stuff and you need to take it easy. We had both the WK2 and ZJ on the silver lake sand dunes and the ride in the 2011 was awful even in OR1. I had it in OR2 for like a minute and went back just because of how uncomfortable it is way up there. I could coast across the flats at like 30 mph with all the ruts in it and it was like butter in the ZJ(which is stock with upcountry suspension), I wouldn't even try in the WK2. I know anybody who is buying one of these are not going to do any hardcore off-roading so its a nice vehicle for what its designed to do. Road driving is excellent and off-road is almost tolerable and do-able.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
They're ok for light stuff and you need to take it easy. We had both the WK2 and ZJ on the silver lake sand dunes and the ride in the 2011 was awful even in OR1. I had it in OR2 for like a minute and went back just because of how uncomfortable it is way up there. I could coast across the flats at like 30 mph with all the ruts in it and it was like butter in the ZJ(which is stock with upcountry suspension), I wouldn't even try in the WK2. I know anybody who is buying one of these are not going to do any hardcore off-roading so its a nice vehicle for what its designed to do. Road driving is excellent and off-road is almost tolerable and do-able.
In my honest opinion, OR2 rides just as good if not better than any of my trucks have on stock suspension. If I could I would drive down the road in OR2 sometimes. I love how high it sits.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
345jeep
2008 WK 

I wish Jeep would just feature an up-country suspension package w/ a one inch lift rather than have the adjustable ride height. I liked that about the XJs and ZJs and missed it on my WK. I do like that the WK2 can lift up higher than the clearance challenged WK (in stock form).

Has anybody towed heavy loads with the WK2 ? I wonder how side-sway is with the independent rear suspension vs. the solid axle.
345jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345jeep View Post
Has anybody towed heavy loads with the WK2 ? I wonder how side-sway is with the independent rear suspension vs. the solid axle.
6200lb boat/trailer/stuff tows great. Sometimes forget its there.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
ferntree

2014 WK 

more here on towing: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/what-have-you-guys-towed-1195388/"]

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

back to the original post question, I think the WK2 is better off road (for what the moderate off road driver needs) than some are giving it credit for. I have to stress, a MODERATE off roader. I don't have QL so I have limited ground clearance but if you know how to drive and can pick your way around some deep ruts, bigger rocks, etc. and pay attention to your approach/departure/breakover angles, the 4 wheel drive system is very good and can get you through quite a bit of moderate stuff. I have done some aggressive off roading in a Hummer H3, Land Rover Discovery, many other Jeeps, and others, and I think the 4wd system in the WK 2 is very good.

My definition of moderate is 8 - 10" of mud, 6 to 8" deep ruts, crawling over some 6 to 10" rocks, some slippery clay that requires good traction and some wheel spin to make it up hill, etc. I'm not talking serious deep mud or rock crawling.

If you're just looking to "get into nature" and are looking to do what I'm describing or less, it's a GREAT vehicle for you.

What are others thinking? What have you guys been taking the WK2 through???
MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
chibianh
2011 WK 

Based on this scale of 1-10 (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ratings.php), I've taken my Overland through a 6 rated trail. Like the previous poster mentioned, the WK2 is a pretty capable vehicle.. it's no Wrangler Rubicon, but it can definitely follow one most places, with similarly skilled driver.
chibianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Timgco

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibianh View Post
Based on this scale of 1-10 (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ratings.php), I've taken my Overland through a 6 rated trail. Like the previous poster mentioned, the WK2 is a pretty capable vehicle.. it's no Wrangler Rubicon, but it can definitely follow one most places, with similarly skilled driver.
Out of curiousity, what trails have you done with your truck?
Timgco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
chibianh
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timgco View Post
Out of curiousity, what trails have you done with your truck?
Not too many yet this year, but the season is still young. I got the Jeep back in Sept, and have done Argentine Pass, Guanella Pass, McClellan Mtn, Bill Moore Lake, Red Elephant Hill, Mill Creek, Slaughterhouse Gulch, Left Hand Canyon, Tincup pass, Oh My God Rd, Yankee Hill, and then in Utah I've been on Chicken Corners, Hurrah pass, Lockhart basin, and gemini bridges.

Hoping to make it out to Telluride/Ouray in late August and tackle a few trails down there.

Now, the couple of trails that are rated a 6 (high end rating), I probably took the easier line or a bypass around obstacles that makes it a 6. But, I am glad I have rock rails and skid plates.. lol
chibianh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.